Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #371
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
There are specific instructions at the bottom of the review. You need to unarchive it in your REAL C:\ directory, and run the game using the DOSBox shorcut (by double-clicking it)...
No, not really, the whole thing is worthless.

The dosbox shortcut expects dosbox to be in C:\DOS\DOSBox-0.74\ , by now you should know that dosbox needs to be in \program files\ or \program files(x86)\ to work correctly on a modern OS, and the user (game) files in \user\your name\folder\

More: a worthless method because when dosbox will update to 0.75 or whatever that dosbox shortcut won't work even on an older OS with an updated dosbox.

It's a basicly wrong method, nothing you say can change that fact.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 01-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #372
Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
In the subfolder \aitd\cd\ there is a fake CD image, you must mount it with imgmount in dosbox as D:

If you have the AITD folder in c:\oldgames\ your mount lines become:

mount c c:\oldgames
imgmount d c:\oldgames\aitd\cd\alone1.cue -t iso
c:
cd aitd
cd indark
indark
thanks very much - that worked a treat. I've managed to start the game and save it so it looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Don't do that, NEVER.
loving the pitchforks :-)

Old 01-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #373
dosraider
Dismembered.

You're welcome.

And because you seem to like the angry crowd ....

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 04-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #374
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking What a nice game.

I sincery envy the first time gamers.
I will never forget my struggle with one-leg pirate..
Xa xa

My hearth trembling as in my first love meeting..
Mama mia...
yoga is offline                         Send a private message to yoga
Old 03-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #375
73h_p0W

Default CD MUSIC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGrazzt View Post
More people should use the D-Fend frontend, linked to on the DOSBox site.
Quite an old quote, but I had to do it! I'm using D-Fend Reloaded myself and it is a quite easy to use frontend for DosBox! http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net

I figured out how to get the CD music to work from the primary download. The only "bad" thing is the "waste of disc space". Shouldn't be a problem on todays systems...

The size of the game increases to around 327MB.

In D-Fend Reloaded you got a VrtualHD folder. I copied the game to
.\VirtualHD\GAMES\ALONITD1\
This means, that I had to edit the "INDARK2.CFG" with notepad and put the path "\GAMES\ALONITD1" into it.
I copied the \CD folder into the \ALONITD1 folder. Now here comes the trick:

I converted the .MP3s located in the \music folder to .WAV files and copied them into the \CD folder overwriting everything! To convert the files to .WAV you can use the "Disk Writer" plugin in WinAMP or the "WAV Writer" in the output setting of XM-Play. It's just that easy!
After all that I configured the game in D-Fend and mounted the .CUE file as as drive D:. Started the game and it works with the "high quality"-CD-Music! YAAAY!

PS: I've read the first 12 pages of this thread and nobody mentioned this. Sorry, if it was already known to do it!
73h_p0W is offline                         Send a private message to 73h_p0W
Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #376
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73h_p0W View Post
Quite an old quote, but I had to do it! I'm using D-Fend Reloaded myself and it is a quite easy to use frontend for DosBox! http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net

I figured out how to get the CD music to work from the primary download. The only "bad" thing is the "waste of disc space". Shouldn't be a problem on todays systems...

The size of the game increases to around 327MB.

In D-Fend Reloaded you got a VrtualHD folder. I copied the game to
.\VirtualHD\GAMES\ALONITD1\
This means, that I had to edit the "INDARK2.CFG" with notepad and put the path "\GAMES\ALONITD1" into it.
I copied the \CD folder into the \ALONITD1 folder. Now here comes the trick:

I converted the .MP3s located in the \music folder to .WAV files and copied them into the \CD folder overwriting everything! To convert the files to .WAV you can use the "Disk Writer" plugin in WinAMP or the "WAV Writer" in the output setting of XM-Play. It's just that easy!
After all that I configured the game in D-Fend and mounted the .CUE file as as drive D:. Started the game and it works with the "high quality"-CD-Music! YAAAY!

PS: I've read the first 12 pages of this thread and nobody mentioned this. Sorry, if it was already known to do it!
If I could have found a really small mp3 to wav converter, I would have included it in the archive. You are right, though. If you convert the mp3 files back to wav and overwrite the dummy wav files in the game directory you will have a fully functioning game with voice-overs and the CD music.

Does anyone know of a free command-line file conversion utility that can do an mp3 to wav conversion?
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 01-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #377
AloneInTheRoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
If I could have found a really small mp3 to wav converter, I would have included it in the archive. You are right, though. If you convert the mp3 files back to wav and overwrite the dummy wav files in the game directory you will have a fully functioning game with voice-overs and the CD music.

Does anyone know of a free command-line file conversion utility that can do an mp3 to wav conversion?
Don't you need the original cue for this to work?In the supplied one time and frame indicators are all 00:00:00.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #378
AloneInTheRoom

Also when I do the above method, only the first song plays in the first half of the intro, after that there is no music.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #379
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AloneInTheRoom View Post
Also when I do the above method, only the first song plays in the first half of the intro, after that there is no music.
You might be right. When I replaced the tracks I might have not updated the cue file since the tracks are dummy files anyway and it didn't matter.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 01-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #380
AloneInTheRoom

So Is it possible to get a cue file with the right timings?