Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-06-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
Flop
Hero Gamer

I thought a topic about metal would be prudent, since it seems that a lot of members here like the harder kind of music. I am huge metal fan myself, although I've never really managed to understand all the subgenres. Hence I just refer to any kind of hard rock as metal (although I realise that soft metal, like Nightwish for example, exists, and I like that too).

So anything goes, start any kind of metal discussion, or just list your favourite metal bands (although I use metal in the widest sense possible, please refrain from discussing bands such as N-sync, or artists such as Britney Spears ).

My personal favourites:

- Katatonia (right at the top of my list where they belong, they're simply amazing and I regret never having had the chance to see them live)
- Metallica (untill and including the black album they simply ruled supreme)
- Iron Maiden (Anything with Bruce Dickinson is great, their two first albums with what's-his-name are pretty good too, the rest sucks)
- Black Sabbath (by many considered the first heavy metal band ever, I like everything they did with Ozzy)
- Nightwish (just excellent. Can't really think of anything else to say)
- Sonata Arctica (same as above)
- Cradle of Filth (This is a secret pleasure of mine. I've learned to live with the shame and ridicule that usually follows when people find out I like them )
- Manowar (another secret pleasure. I've seen them live twice and they truly rock)
- AC/DC (they've made so many good tracks and albums that I just had to include them)

I'd like to put many more on that list, but it has to stop somewhere, so consider those my absolute favourites.

I'm sometimes a bit sad that I live in Denmark, since it seems that metal is completely overlooked here. It seems to me that everywhere else in Europe they have metal-only festivals, they have lots of metal concerts and lots of metal bars. In Copenhagen we have 1 (one!) rock bar, and they they charge an entrance price, the infidels! We have a pretty good yearly music festival called Roskilde festival, and they usually have a few metal bands there, but that's it. It seems that in Sweden, Norway, Germany, Belgium, Holland, etc. you have a ton of metal festivals, but not here, sadly.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 26-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Anathema, A Perfect Circle, Nine Inch Nails, Auf der Maur and a bit of Marilyn Manson fulfill my metal needs pretty well. Also S.C.I.E.N.C.E. by Incubus.

Cradle of Filth are hilarious
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 26-06-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
auhsor
Super Freak

I used to be into Metal a bit. Well yeah I was into the Metallica, A Perfect Circle, etc from my brother, but due to a few reasons, I've moved away from the music. I find most of it pretty dark and pretty depressive actually. I don't think it woudl help me much. Saying that, I do like the melodic stuff and I am a big fan of Dream Theater (who are a bit more progressive, but are still sometimes classed in with metal).

So yeah, it's not my style anymore I guess.
auhsor is offline                         Send a private message to auhsor
Old 26-06-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

well, if you live in denmark, just take a trip a few miles south to the "Wacken Open Air Festival 2005" this august. It's in germany's far north and one of the world's biggest Metal-festivals.

Regarding my own musical preferences: I was a "metalhead" QUITE some years ago now (the last time I was wearing long hair and leather must've been when I was 17...) but my musical taste has exceeded any boundaries by now... but by the end of the day, and if I'd have to choose, punkrock would be it.
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 26-06-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
Flop
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck the plant@Jun 26 2005, 04:24 PM
well, if you live in denmark, just take a trip a few miles south to the "Wacken Open Air Festival 2005" this august. It's in germany's far north and one of the world's biggest Metal-festivals.

Regarding my own musical preferences: I was a "metalhead" QUITE some years ago now (the last time I was wearing long hair and leather must've been when I was 17...) but my musical taste has exceeded any boundaries by now... but by the end of the day, and if I'd have to choose, punkrock would be it.
Yeah, I've considered going south for some festival experiences. I did plan going to the Dynamo Festival in Holland with a few friends, but unfortunately we're all low on cash, so it won't be this year.

And I don't consider myself a metalhead. As you say, my musical preferences have exceeded all boundaries (well, not quite, there are still a few genres that I can't stand), and I enjoy most kinds of music. But I do love metal, and will never stop listening to it.

BTW, I guess I'd probably categorise punkrock as metal, too, since I can't be bothered to learn the differences between all these genres. LOL
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 26-06-2005, 04:58 PM   #6
MadMarius
Forum hobbit

...woohoo!!!This is my place!!!!!!!

Top :

1.MetallicA(cuz they ROCK)
2.AC\DC(cuz they rock,and have a good guitarist)
3.System Of A Down(cuz they are against everithing and they KickASS Metal Style!)
4.Black Sabbath(Ozzy rocks!!!!!!! :evil: )
5.Alice Cooper(house of fire!!)
6.Meat Loaf(you know...that FAT guy singing Bat out of hell in '79)
7.Nirvana(smells like destruction apetite and drugs...GO Kurt GO!!!)
8.Manowar(damn f****** metal man!!!!! and the loudest band in history:129 DB at a concert)
9.Iris(a romanian band...YOU JUST GOT TO LISTEN TO THEM!)
10.pHOENIX(A romanian band....a kind of folkrock tough but were the ones who inspired the revolution in 89...by beeing diffrent and not obeying those red pants in the parlament)(THE STIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL ROCK!!!)
Note:the bands listed above are my favourite and not exactly in the same order.thank you
MadMarius is offline                         Send a private message to MadMarius
Old 26-06-2005, 10:28 PM   #7
Strobe
Home Sweet Abandonia

whooo, a metal thread...veeeeery nice!!!

my top artist list:

1. anathema
2. my dying bride
3. cemetary
4. paradise lost
5. tiamat
6. katatonia
7. the 3rd and the mortal
8. winter
9. sentenced
10. moonspell
Strobe is offline                         Send a private message to Strobe
Old 26-06-2005, 10:48 PM   #8
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I've mentioned this before, but if you like Anathema you should check out Les Smith's (who used to be in Cradle of Filth) side project Ship of Fools - metal psychadelia with an amazing Wizard of Oz sample. The whole album's absolutely incredible.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 27-06-2005, 01:52 AM   #9
lethe
Game freak

I find Manowar truly disgusting. Their lyrics are dull, some mix of slanged hair metal with bitter attitude, which is one they stand at all times. Both "Warriors Of The World" and their other album I heard (can't remember the name, something from 91/92) failed to get my attention musically too. I believe they might sound good live, they have the beat after all (and metal concerts scarce around here, so anything is a go) :whistle: but I wouldn't look too much further into them.

I'm based mostly on rock and grunge. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, A Perfect Circle, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, etc If I'm too choose any "preferred" area of metal, I guess I would pick some mix between progressive and melodic (Nightwish, Sonata Artica, Dream Theater, Evergrey, Opeth, Tool, Ayreon), it's the one I hear the most, even though I can enjoy basically everything in the area if it has any quality.

Weird fact: Sometimes I freak out and have the need to listen doom metal for days and days non-stop, or I feel like having a heroin hangover and my eyes hardly move. Amorphis, Lake of Tears, My Dying Bride, The Gathering, Forsaken, Katatonia to name a few. Gothic metal also comes handy as I love melodic depressive music, but most reknowned bands of this style turned out very mainstream and not doing their best nowadays. (Evanescence, Therion, Type O Negative, Bauhaus, After Forever). Same can be said about Anathema and Amorphis, their "new" (last couple of years) stuff is purely
lethe is offline                         Send a private message to lethe
Old 27-06-2005, 07:40 AM   #10
Mercury

And... where is the HammerFall?

Hearts on fire he
Mercury is offline                         Send a private message to Mercury