Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-01-2009, 02:42 AM   #71
John Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuber View Post
warning, spoilers

ok so I've played the game through again, and I still cannot figure out what the deal is with Sarah Crouton, the ghost that only sometimes can be seen. As far as I know the ghost only shows up in two places, the graveyard and the back porch. This time around, I never saw her, but I definately remember her from when I first played the game ~15 years ago. So you find the bible in the chapel and the note in the armor, and you can see Sarah's grave so you know she died at 17. And there's the secret passage to the Crouton tomb. Sarah's family left clues for her to find the Jewels there, but obviously she never did. Are there any other clues about the Crouton family and what happened to Sarah? I mean, she's a ghost, and she died at 17. Are we to be be teased with that and not know anything else about her? I mean, if Roberta included that much about her, it seems that as a bonus there must be a way to discover her cause of death at such a tender young age, amd the reason she haunts the Dijon estate. At Gamegaqs there's a faq that covers everything I already know about the Croutons. It however contends that Sarah is Henri's mother, something that I don't think is ever actually said in the game, and I'm not sure is correct. The author also thought Ruby was a member of the Crouton family. Seems obvious to me that Ruby is a clue in the form of a pun so you know which vault to open to find the rubies. Without just opening them all I mean.

Anybody know where I can get some answers? This is really bugging me. Thanks!
Better late than never, huh? Anyway, go visit Celie and type "talk to celie". She'll thank you for bringing back her necklace. Then talk to her again, and she'll tell you all about Sarah Crouton.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:32 AM   #72
ladycat
Default question?!

okay, i think that i have the sound on.. but i dont' know wether or not the characters actually speak. the background sound is great,.. but is that all?

Old 12-01-2009, 04:01 AM   #73
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladycat View Post
okay, i think that i have the sound on.. but i dont' know wether or not the characters actually speak. the background sound is great,.. but is that all?
I fear the majority of games that old have no voice. When you see a game being larger than 200MB, there's a good chance it comes with speech but any less than that and it's nearly certain it will be text only. Laura Bow 1 is much too old to have speech though. Few games older than 1993 have voices.
red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 17-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #74
gumpy
Game freak

A fun mystery game which is based on Roberta Williams first game, Mystery House for the Apple II.

Don't walk into closets or take a shower though unless you want trouble...
gumpy is offline                         Send a private message to gumpy
Old 24-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #75
humorguy
Super Freak

2.8 score from 4096 visitors? Are you all MAD?!

People nowadays obviously don't know a great game when it slaps them in the face!

It must have something to do with this game requiring a brain and a reasonable IQ to get anywhere!

Moderators, give a difficulty quotient to each game and then, hopefully, you will be able to prove what I think is true - easy retro PC titles score higher from the gamers point of view, and difficult games like this one, don't!
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 24-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #76
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

This game is hard, hard games annoy people so they vote low. I think the game is a four, but it has it's faults and like all Sierra games you need to play it so over and over to get the best out of it. Plus you can die so many stupid deaths in this game, more then even a normal Sierra game, and that really annoys people who arn't used to it.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 25-09-2011, 05:04 AM   #77
zol77

My first batch of disks included Laura Bow. I played them for a looong time,on Amiga 500.
zol77 is offline                         Send a private message to zol77
Old 18-02-2017, 10:50 PM   #78
AndrewJFisher
Forum hobbit

Thumbs up Back on sale at GOG

Hi, I just found this game and the sequel are being marketed again. At GOG.

http://www.gog.com/game/the_colonels_bequest
AndrewJFisher is offline                         Send a private message to AndrewJFisher
Old 05-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #79
HECLAR
Lurker

Default Is it possible to play it on Win 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosta View Post
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review

Hi,

I loved this game, found it here, and now I want to play it, but it seems it doesn't run on Win 10. Could anybody help me?
HECLAR is offline                         Send a private message to HECLAR
Old 05-04-2020, 03:33 PM   #80
Capo
Unconventional member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECLAR View Post
Hi,

I loved this game, found it here, and now I want to play it, but it seems it doesn't run on Win 10. Could anybody help me?
You need dosbox or scummvm to play, the last one is easier to use

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo