Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #121
Astaldo711

I spent many many hours playing this game. I bought it when it first came out because I loved Arena so much. I can still remember calling tech support to complain how the game crashed after playing for 10 minutes. The guy said "you're lucky, some people can play for 5 minutes before that happens." I didn't even have a modem back then and they had to MAIL the patches to me!
Astaldo711 is offline                         Send a private message to Astaldo711
Old 16-01-2011, 03:17 AM   #122
Kenkelkenkel70

Default Performance issues

For my umpteenth adventure into daggerfall , I ventured into abandonia and snatched me up a copy. To my surprise it turned out to be an exe and not a .zip. ( I am accustomed to a little dosbox tango to run my df)
I was quite surprised ny this and pleased, at first.
However, the performance of daggerfall is pitiful at best. I tried different .conf settings yet it seems to hurt more than help.
I remember playing this sucker on my p1 phenomenally and I had no performance problems running older downloads of the .zip with dosbox.
Though today, it runs at a snails pace. Please help a Jeff kind Sirs and Misses!

Kenkelkenkel70 is offline                         Send a private message to Kenkelkenkel70
Old 16-01-2011, 04:37 AM   #123
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

The reason this is an .exe file is because it is a setup file provided by Bethesda when they made the game freeware, normally hosted on their webpage but after the change for Elderscrolls 5 it got removed.

It is still running in Dosbox and as such you might need to fiddle with it a bit more to get it to run right. Sadly there is not a lot we can do to help, I recomend that you fiddle with the config a bit more. Or have a look around on Google to see if others have had the same problem.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 16-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #124
Kenkelkenkel70

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 View Post
The reason this is an .exe file is because it is a setup file provided by Bethesda when they made the game freeware, normally hosted on their webpage but after the change for Elderscrolls 5 it got removed.

It is still running in Dosbox and as such you might need to fiddle with it a bit more to get it to run right. Sadly there is not a lot we can do to help, I recomend that you fiddle with the config a bit more. Or have a look around on Google to see if others have had the same problem.
Thanks yous Mr. Helmet, Elder scrolls 5... hmmm.
Kenkelkenkel70 is offline                         Send a private message to Kenkelkenkel70
Old 16-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #125
Scatty
Treasure hunter

First of all, if you're playing Daggerfall in DosBox 0.74, try it in DosBox 0.73. Some games have troubles running in 0.74. Second, the recommended settings (in dosbox.conf file):

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cycles=27000 (or more, not necessary though)

[mixer]
rate=22050
blocksize=2048 (4096 if 2048 is not enough)
prebuffer=512

See if those settings help it.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 16-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #126
wardencz
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to wardencz

I use the same setting as Scatty, but for the CPU cycles =max, works just perfect for me. (but it really depends on your computing power)
Old 17-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #127
Kenkelkenkel70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
First of all, if you're playing Daggerfall in DosBox 0.74, try it in DosBox 0.73. Some games have troubles running in 0.74. Second, the recommended settings (in dosbox.conf file):

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cycles=27000 (or more, not necessary though)

[mixer]
rate=22050
blocksize=2048 (4096 if 2048 is not enough)
prebuffer=512

See if those settings help it.
I have the same cpu and sound settings, However I am using .74, I am gonna change versions and see if that helps.
Btw, I have machine set to svga_et4000 and memsize 32,
I would like to optimize this also.
My scaler is normalx2, I would really like to use the hq saler.
Do any o' you cats use a nice shader or do they vamp up the resources used by dosbox too much?
Old 17-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #128
Scatty
Treasure hunter

I never used any other scaler than normal2x though I tried others, as this one looks most normal and least blurry from others, at least at my notebook with set resolution.
Maximum memsize that DosBox accepts is 64 (63 only though if typing mem in DosBox), more doesn't increase it.

Instead of svga_et4000 I would recommend vesa_oldvbe, or vgaonly in case of trouble from some games. vesa_oldvbe should have best compatibility with most games using high-resolution modes, while others can be used for games that used to specifically hardware-access certain less-widespread cards like Paradise (svga_paradise) and provided special or better enhancements / resolution modes with those, like Moraffs Dungeons of the Unforgiven for example.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 22-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #129
TheAnyKey

Does anybody know if it is possible to increase the resolution in Daggerfall? I have a 28" 1920x1200 screen and it looks extremely pixelated.

It wasn't as much an issue on my old 19" screen but on the 28" it looks really bad.

Thanks.

Edit:

I changed the scaler in the DosBox options to 2xsai. It looks a little blurry now but overall a little better, I think.

Now I downloaded "Daggerfall WinXP Edition(DOSbox)-TLN". It should run Daggerfall in resolutions up to 1680x1050. I followed the installation instructions by the user shreddog here: Do not Link to Torrent sites!

Still it does not start. When I double click the dosbox.exe it opens for half a second and closes again. I have Win 7 64 Bit and Win XP 32 Bit installed. I tried to run it on Win7 64 Bit and Win XP 32 Bit and it doesn't start on both.

Last edited by DarthHelmet86; 22-01-2011 at 05:11 AM.
TheAnyKey is offline                         Send a private message to TheAnyKey
Old 22-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #130
JonasTheTolerated

Default Spyware?

Wonderful game, just like I remember it. I don't know if this has been brought up before, because I didn't read the whole thread (sorry ), but after full installation my malware scanner picked up and removed a piece of spyware. The infected file was called "eyeofargonia.exe". I doubt it was a false positive, since the game seems to be running just fine without the file. Has anyone else run into this and can explain it, or can we see about getting this file removed from the download somehow? With the upcoming new ES release, it's possible and even likely that the number of downloads of this game will increase, and this infection could spread that way, if it's a positive.
JonasTheTolerated is offline                         Send a private message to JonasTheTolerated