Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #11
Eerie

I consider this game part of the Keen series because of the amount of fun it provided. I never liked the other one with the mutated vegetables "Keen Dreams" or whatever it was.

Thanks for upping it, though

Old 19-01-2007, 08:21 AM   #12
Stealth107

Keen dreams sucks alright.

All we need now is Keen 5 and I'll be happy for life. But for now...

1 k: Yeah!
2 :angry: Still sold
3 Yay!
4 :w00t: Shareware!
5 We need this....
6 Woohoo!
Dreams: :tai: Who cares?

Old 19-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #13
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I think what Tom meant was that Keen Dreams is sometimes referred to as Commander Keen 3.5 .

Referencing the Oldwarez list proves that assumption true: Keen 3 and 5 are still sold, Keen Dreams has an "aka Commander Keen 3.5" note.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 21-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #14

I just wanted to point out that all Keen games are developed by id software (the same guys who wrote wolf3d, doom etc.). Apogee and FormGen are just publishers.

I remember reading from Masters of Doom that Apogee did want to publish all keens, even this one. But FormGen struck some sort of deal with id and as the result the last episode of the second keen trilogy (this game) was published by FormGen.

Lastly Keens were (except this one) published as shareware ie. the first game of a trilogy was free to everyone and those who wanted play more just bought 2nd and 3rd episode. So the first and fourth Keens are still available as free downloads. Quick glance at id's site tells that they're still selling Keens 2, 3, 5.

Oh, there actually is seventh keen game which was sold to softdisk which published it. The game's called Keen Dreams. I think it's still sold at softdisk site. And there's GBA Keen which was only produced by id (just like Quake 4 or upcoming Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)

Old 22-01-2007, 06:56 AM   #15
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Awesome to see this old gem making its way to the list here!

Agreed with all the posts above, Keen Dreams was terrible compared to the other Keens (and too difficult as well, don't think I've ever finished it - 1, 4, 6 I did - never owned 2 and 3 unfortunately)
Old 11-02-2007, 01:23 AM   #16
Guest_commanderkeen_*

Keen Dreams SUCKS!
It needs the pogo stick and non-regenrating enemies.

About the Review: I don't think the levels in Keen 6 were timed, were they? I don't remember running out of time or anything. And arcade sequences? don't remember those either.

Old 16-05-2007, 06:40 PM   #17

Keen Dreams was quite fun, actually. It was the first Keen game I played.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #18
Geek_Gurl
Thumbs down

:brain: THANK YOU!

I've been hoping someone would put out the full version. I still have it around somewhere (I think I even kept the box) but it's on 5 1/4" floppy disks and no way to convert them!

Commander Keen was always one of my favorites along with Duke Nukem and Monster Bash. It just showed that you didn't need stunning graphics to make a great game.

Dopefish RULES!

Old 08-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #19
crazy_kong
Lurker

Keys for cheating...
F10+D: Enter/exit DEMO
F10+E: Complete that level
F10+G: God mode ON / OFF
F10+J: Jump cheat ON / OFF
F10+M: Displays amount of memory used
F10+N: No clipping ON / OFF

crazy_kong is offline                         Send a private message to crazy_kong
Old 10-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #20
Pellaeon
Abandonia nerd

All the Commander Kames are my favourites. I grew up on Keen 4, I remember playing tons of hours with it on the good-old Minisys, but when I've got my Win98 PC, I've stopped playing it for a while. After that, my brother downloaded all the Keen games from an internet café, and brought me home. I remembered that I nearly worshiped him for that in that particular moment, then I started to play the Keen games.

Keen Dreams (also known as Keen 3.5) is not one of the best Keen games, thus it wasn't from ID software or Apogee, if I remember right. Keen 6 is also not as good as the other ones, but it's still my favourite in platformers.

Last thing, the voting. As I said before, I don't like Keen 6 as the other ones, but still my rating on this game is 5. I'm a Keen fan, heheh. :laugh:
Pellaeon is offline                         Send a private message to Pellaeon