Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
StaaViinsZ
Abandonia nerd

Default Hmm... Abandonia policies

So why is it limited to 300 MB? That's enough for the older stuff, but some of the newer CD-ROM DOS stuff, especially movie games, could very well be over it.

Is this a limit to what you can do with the server you use?
What about this-- host 2 300 MB downloads, or even 3.

I would rather sort through 3 download buttons than download a game without the movies. If it doesn't have the movies, then it's not really preserving it for future generations, is it? Plus, old DOS game cutscenes are some of my favorite parts of those games...

I know nothing about the Abandonia hosting, so these are just absent minded suggestions...

While I'm here, I'll just ask another quick question... How come when a game is on Amazon, sold by someone else, but fulfilled by amazon, Abandonia doesn't host it.

I find problems with this.

1. Abuse & I'm sure many other games are still being sold on Amazon (I'm American so when I say that I mean .com)

2. If a game is not still being manufactured, that would mean any copies Amazon is selling are Second-hand, therefor, even if it is fulfilled by Amazon, that's just someone else partnering to bring Second-Hand, possibly new second-hand, copies to the market. (The game I am talking about is Breach 3)

3. If this philosophy some have about games on Amazon is truly correct, then Abuse should be taken off the site immediately, along with numerous other popular DOS games.

If anyone cares to look into any of this, or to slap me in the face, here's the MobyGames Info and Amazon Page:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/breach-3

http://www.amazon.com/Breach-3-PC-CD...s=breach+3+dos

"...this forum seems like a bunch of jumbled posts all bound together, except a toddler has been tearing "Posts" out of the "Binder"."

"And here we are, in the shadows, patiently awaiting a reply to appear, in it's natural habitat."

"Why quote someone else when you alone have enough ridiculous posts for the whole forum's user base?" -All Quotes StaaViinsZ
StaaViinsZ is offline                         Send a private message to StaaViinsZ
Old 04-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
StaaViinsZ
Abandonia nerd

Angry Oops!

Oops I didn't mean to post this as a thread... I just clicked the "Submit Reply" button once, waited, and then changed the "Subscribe" to instant e-mail, then clicked again... LOL weird things happen when you start clicking the subscribe button twice.

Go ahead, you can look it over, but keep in mind that I in no way intended to be this in everyone's face about it... It just happened.

"...this forum seems like a bunch of jumbled posts all bound together, except a toddler has been tearing "Posts" out of the "Binder"."

"And here we are, in the shadows, patiently awaiting a reply to appear, in it's natural habitat."

"Why quote someone else when you alone have enough ridiculous posts for the whole forum's user base?" -All Quotes StaaViinsZ
StaaViinsZ is offline                         Send a private message to StaaViinsZ
Old 04-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaaViinsZ View Post
So why is it limited to 300 MB? That's enough for the older stuff, but some of the newer CD-ROM DOS stuff, especially movie games, could very well be over it.

Is this a limit to what you can do with the server you use?
270 MB, actually. And yes, it's a technical limitation with the site itself.

Quote:
What about this-- host 2 300 MB downloads, or even 3.
Generally the ISO Cellar is meant to be used for larger titles and full images.

Quote:
While I'm here, I'll just ask another quick question... How come when a game is on Amazon, sold by someone else, but fulfilled by amazon, Abandonia doesn't host it.
For the most part, it's us trying to err on the side of caution - we're considering those situations to be equivalent to Amazon itself selling the goods.
Quote:
1. Abuse & I'm sure many other games are still being sold on Amazon (I'm American so when I say that I mean .com)
According to our records, Abuse has been released as freeware. Once that happens, freeware status trumps sold status and it doesn't matter who's selling it or where.
Quote:
2. If a game is not still being manufactured, that would mean any copies Amazon is selling are Second-hand, therefor, even if it is fulfilled by Amazon, that's just someone else partnering to bring Second-Hand, possibly new second-hand, copies to the market. (The game I am talking about is Breach 3)
In general, our criteria for acceptable sources are:
* Must be selling unopened, unused copies (not "like new")
* Must be a business rather than a private person
* There may not be any pre-existing causes to doubt the authenticity of the media or the company's business practices.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-09-2013, 02:47 AM   #4
StaaViinsZ
Abandonia nerd

Smile Okay, That Helps.

Okay, that helps me understand what's going on... So if the game goes permanently out of stock, or only second hand sellers/like new copies, I guess that would be the day it comes to here...

Breach 3, you'll have your day!
Until then, I'll just enjoy playing it by myself.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaaViinsZ View Post
Oops I didn't mean to post this as a thread... I just clicked the "Submit Reply" button once, waited, and then changed the "Subscribe" to instant e-mail, then clicked again... LOL weird things happen when you start clicking the subscribe button twice.
I moved your post into a new topic on this board because this is its proper place, and it would have derailed the topic of the original thread you posted on. But it's no problem, nobody knows how to do things right at the first try.

PS: While I'm on the off-topic topic of forum etiquette, try not to post several times in a row on the same thread. If you have something to add, click on the "edit" button on your last post to add it to the existing text. The reason is that you would fill up pages, which have a fixed number of posts, with one-sided conversations.

Last edited by Japo; 05-09-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 05-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
StaaViinsZ
Abandonia nerd

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
I moved your post into a new topic on this board because this is its proper place, and it would have derailed the topic of the original thread you posted on. But it's no problem, nobody knows how to do things right at the first try.

PS: While I'm on the off-topic topic of forum etiquette, try not to post several times in a row on the same thread. If you have something to add, click on the "edit" button on your last post to add it to the existing text. The reason is that you would fill up pages, which have a fixed number of posts, with one-sided conversations.
Oh, so YOU moved it, it wasn't a forum glitch?
What was the place I originally posted it, anyway?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
Japo
Autonomous human

Somewhere important IIRC, I think it was where people submit new archives or reviews.

Remember at all times when posting, what the thread about, if you're going to follow that topic or not. If not you should find the proper topic if it already exists, or create a new one, in the proper board.

For example now we're off topic again, we're no longer talking about our policies.

But I guess your questions are addressed? We host archives as big as we can (actually as the website owner allows), and we're as open with what games we offer as we can without going against the wishes of the copyright owners, because we want to remain a legit website. But if you still have questions, suggestions or comments, this thread and board are the places to post them.