Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #61
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Playbahnosh @ Aug 24 2007, 11:50 PM) [snapback]306558[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
There is this thing with us Hungarians. We live in the exact centre of Central Europe, and we are a linguistical puzzle. Like, we are surrounded by all slavic, latin and germanic languages, but Hungarian is totally unlike any of our neighbours. Furthermore, Hungarian language sounds more like Finnish, or Swedish. Yea, good luck with that one [/b]
ugrofins. nomand ugrofins "mysteriously appeared on many places, traveling from the north. we have few ancient ugrofin migrants like marijcy or chuvashy in russia as well ("surrounded" by russia) and my dad speaks one of the languages. its QUITE simmilar to hungarian
Old 25-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #62
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Playbahnosh @ Aug 24 2007, 09:50 PM) [snapback]306558[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Well, I speak my native Hungarian, English and German. I'm also learning Japanese, and it's easier than I thought.
[/b]
A rare find! mostly Hungarians speak German if you can actually find any that speak a foreign language

then again it's been a while sicne my last visit. I can't wait for next year when we enter Schoengen area along with Hungary i believe. So we i can go visit Budapest again this time with my wife. It's a nice city, specially the old part.

Quote:
I read it somewhere that Hungarian is the second hardest language on this planet, after some Asian language. And I thought Japanese is an insane hard language, but as it turns out, it's no big deal. Only the written Japanese is a nightmare, but something for something
[/b]
Huh where did you get that?

I think mandarin is quite hard because of pronounciation. Our language give foreigners problem because of the "double". all words conjurgate in singular, double and plural. and also pronounciation is quite hard. for example the bumble bee: "ÄŒmrlj" (chmrlj), yup no vocals in there :bleh: but hen again i think russian has some similar wording or at least pronounciation.

still i think it's not that hard, but probably not many foreigners are interested in learning it, so it makes it quite rare to find a foreigner with fluent Slovenian.

Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 25-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #63
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Fluent Slovene? I've met native Slovene speakers who are anything but fluent. It's not among the easiest languages to get down right (many rules with sille exceptions), but I've met people from abroad who came to Slovenia and were quite capable of talking our language.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 25-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #64
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

Quote:
my dad speaks one of the languages. its QUITE simmilar to hungarian[/b]
Yea, QUITE. Sure as hell sounds like almost Hungarian, that ugrofin languages. But the writing is dead different. Well, somethings gotta give.

Quote:
A rare find! mostly Hungarians speak German if you can actually find any that speak a foreign language[/b]
Yea, sad but true. Hungarian people are stupid as stones when it comes to foreign relations. Most of them anyway. The older generation tends to be mistrustful or even hostile towards foreign people. Given our restless history, this is not a surprise. When it comes to diplomacy or foreign relations, our country made all the wrong choices in the past Both WWs, before and after them...look it up if want to know the whole deal. So a great deal of people here are rock-headed nationalists, who think that all the foreign people who come to visit want to take our country away, or whats left of it anyway. There are continuos internal battles with the minorities, mostly the gypsies, and people are always complaining about everything. Now the political situation is even worse, with the two main parties clearly at war with each other, and the country going to pieces in the process.

So it is true, that people here don't learn foreign languages that much, only the younger generation. But aside the fact that they do speak languages, it doesn't mean they want to either. So, I'm ashamed for all my people because of this. Hungary is not what it used to be, and I'm not the one who can change it either

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 27-08-2007, 04:03 AM   #65
STFM
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Aug 25 2007, 08:02 PM) [snapback]306617[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Quote:
I read it somewhere that Hungarian is the second hardest language on this planet, after some Asian language. And I thought Japanese is an insane hard language, but as it turns out, it's no big deal. Only the written Japanese is a nightmare, but something for something
[/b]
Huh where did you get that?

I think mandarin is quite hard because of pronounciation. Our language give foreigners problem because of the "double". all words conjurgate in singular, double and plural. and also pronounciation is quite hard. for example the bumble bee: "ÄŒmrlj" (chmrlj), yup no vocals in there :bleh: but hen again i think russian has some similar wording or at least pronounciation.

still i think it's not that hard, but probably not many foreigners are interested in learning it, so it makes it quite rare to find a foreigner with fluent Slovenian.
[/b]
Ive heard among the hardest are mandarin, navajo and kalahari bushman
STFM is offline                         Send a private message to STFM
Old 30-08-2007, 10:08 PM   #66
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Yes / oui / ja / si / sÃ* / da

*edits a bit*

English is my first language, then French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and various bits of other languages after that. I know how to say 'hello' and my name in quite a few langauges, including Arabic (just because I think it's nice to be polite and say 'hello' in whoever you're talking to's language).
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 30-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #67
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Among the most exotic languages I've ever heard of, was an artificial language, in the sense it was contructed by this one fellow: It was a "music language" where the pitch, length and all that decided the meaning of the "word". So, basically, what it meant was that you could whistle a conversation... IF the other one had perfect pitch
Old 30-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #68
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

wow, actualy imagine that i played on a guitar and, all of a sudden, some guy comes to me and fists my face for being rude
Old 31-08-2007, 01:13 AM   #69
STFM
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Aug 31 2007, 08:12 AM) [snapback]307880[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Among the most exotic languages I've ever heard of, was an artificial language, in the sense it was contructed by this one fellow: It was a "music language" where the pitch, length and all that decided the meaning of the "word". So, basically, what it meant was that you could whistle a conversation... IF the other one had perfect pitch
[/b]
You mean like japanese or mandarin? One word can mean many different and varied things simply by changing its pitch, volume and duration
STFM is offline                         Send a private message to STFM
Old 31-08-2007, 03:39 AM   #70
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

STFM: Not quite. I mean, literally, a music language where you have no words in the classical sense, but music, like if you whistle.