Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-03-2006, 08:20 PM   #31
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Lord of the Realms 3 was HORRIBLE.
The AI is disgusting, and there are so many bugs, man, I was so dissapointed.

And Original War is as generic as its title.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 29-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #32
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Original War is one of the best games I ever played. I am not surprised that some people don't like it tough, for that is what RTS were meant to be.

And the story is just incredible. Too bad it been slightly botched at the end.
Old 29-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #33
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yeh, story is fine, but I'd give it a five out of ten, it's rather mediocre in my opinion.
I'd admit, it has a fine interface, and it's pretty fun, but the whole thing just feels the same after five hours or so.

My Site -
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 29-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #34
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Mar 29 2006, 03:18 PM
I bought Conquest: Frontier War and Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. They are good games, not good enough to actually go much above 70% rating tough. Just like AOE (another game I disliked. Basically, any game which need a patch to make it good is a bad game IMHO) and Total Anihilation.

Homeworld is a very good game, but then again you can't say it's new. I own the second game and I liked it a lot, tough it's not a top game either. More around 80%, which is pretty good already.

What is Blitzkrieg 2 about? It's a wargame?

Anyways, the point is: demos suck. They always did. Shareware and demos back in my days sucked too. You will get about 1 demo for 10 which will really give you the true feeling of a complete game. I'd rather not try them just for "fun". The second point is, I don't want to waste money on new games right now. I don't have the money to waste and most of all I don't want to be disapointed. That's what happened with all the new games I bought so far. I'm pretty sure this trend will continue for a while...

Since about 5 years, all my good games were bought from bargain bins... From those games, there is Original War, Freedom Force, Fallout Tactics (), etc. Those new games I purchased recently which disapointed me the most was MOO3 (a little while back), CIV III, Locomotion, Lords of the Realm 3... Etc.
Being disappointed and telling for a good games that are bad are two different things.

What’s wrong with the updates for the games? Total Annihilation was a good example where developer listened to game players and provided upgrades to add more features to game. (shotcut keys etc.) Also ability to create your own maps and downloadable units made a big difference at the time.

From the games you said that disappointed you, I have MOO3 which I purchased for under 10 bucks (new, not used) and Civilization 3, which I got as present at the time it came out. First one I tried for 10 minutes and uninstalled it, while second one is still installed on my computer and I play it from time to time. It is a good game, worth buying.

I don’t either buy new games at the time of release. I always wait for price drop and then make purchase. Also lately I read/watch (G4) first reviews and then purchase games. This forum was also great help to find some nice titles. (Like Armed and Dangerous)

It might not be that all new games are bad, but that your expectation are way to high?
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 29-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #35
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

That's the same thing I do.
I wait for a price drop, unless it's something I really wanna get at that moment, like Oblivion.

My Site -
Old 29-03-2006, 08:53 PM   #36
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I also just do the same. Still, a game is a game. It doesn't stop the bugs in the game to appear, or the bad content to show up even if you just buy the game 10$ instead of 60-80.
Old 29-03-2006, 08:57 PM   #37
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

And yet you bought Lords of the Realm III.

:P

Everything gets patched, and for good reasons, it's only those games that're buggy beyond belief that deserve punishment.

My Site -
Old 29-03-2006, 09:25 PM   #38
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I didn't bought LOTRIII when it got out. I just wanted to try it when the price got down because the LOTR serie is one those series I always liked to play even tough I never actually got really goot at it.

However, LOTRIII, just like MOO3, don't deserve to have his name related to the other games in their serie.

For the record, I never encountered a bug in LOTRIII. It's the game in itself which I found extremely boring. I never liked Wargames, and LOTRIII is just like a real time wargame...

Edit: and I forgot to talk about the main point which made me reply. What about those people who don't have internet? Why would a game be delivered to consumers incomplete? I would not bear purchasing an incomplete car or an incomplete appliance, why do I have to get stuck with bad quality titles only because it's been "planned" that they will be patched?

Just to think about it, it almost make me angry... It says a lot about the respect the producers have VS their fans, which is next to none. Just like also when I get a new game, and immediatly (after a few days) notice that every single time I run it a spyware install itself. Welcome to CIVIII.
Old 29-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #39
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I did not like to pay 20 bucks for Lords of the Realm because I've read here that it was not that good. Will wait further price drop.

I got some guidlines for the games.

Max I like to pay for the game is 20 bucks. That's the case only if the game is new, and/or is a good PS2 title. (like GTA: SA)

Next price drop is 10-15 bucks for a good game. (either new or used)

And then some games that I missed first time around (like Metroid Prime for GC) I buy for 5-10 bucks. Older PS and PC titles I buy for less then 5 bucks (like Return to Castle Wolfenstein which I purchased for $1.99 two-three weeks ago). There are rare games like Final Fantasy Tactics for PS that I paid more because I wanted that title.

But back to the topic. Why do we bash new games? (and still purchase them when they are cheaper )

EDIT:

Quote:
Edit: and I forgot to talk about the main point which made me reply. What about those people who don't have internet? Why would a game be delivered to consumers incomplete? I would not bear purchasing an incomplete car or an incomplete appliance, why do I have to get stuck with bad quality titles only because it's been "planned" that they will be patched?
In the galaxy far, far away there was computer magazine called PC Games (and there is still one today) that often has fixes for the games, updates etc. I trowed bunch of those disks about two years ago, as I naver used them. Then I check some magazines and I found out that some rare levels for Total Annihilation, Warcraft, Duke Nukem 3D and some other games were on those CDs. How stupid from me to throw stuff like that. :blink:
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 29-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #40
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Mar 29 2006, 04:25 PM

Edit: and I forgot to talk about the main point which made me reply. What about those people who don't have internet?
Too bad for them :P

My Site -