Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Default Jagged Alliance is back too

New Syndicate is around the corner, we're getting two new X-Coms and on February 9th, Jagged Alliance is Back in Action as it becomes available on Steam (and possibly on other outlets as well). Its been 10-something years since the JA2 (not counting the Wildfire expansion and DS/DSIware ports).

I. Frigging. Love it! Its my all-time favorite strategy series (Yes, I always preferred it over X-Com's) and cant wait to get my hands on this. When the time comes to finally upgrade my hardware, this one will be an instant purchase.

This one seems to stick with the roots as well. Mercs are still highly unique, warfare is still realistic, there's the map screen, mining companies, voice-acting etcetera etcetera. From the trailer, It seems the plot is very similar to the 2nd game. Only difference is that main gameplay is said to be a mix of RTS and turn-based strategy, a "plan & go" system, which sounds something like in Frozen Synapse (sleeper indy-hit of the last year).
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 12-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
jamotide
Forum hobbit

Looks surprisingly interesting. I love the new large map mode and that they kept the same voices for the mercs.
But I'm not convinced of the pausable realtime stuff, it looks like Baldurs Gate. I hated it in Ufo Aftermath and The Fall.

Edit: Also whats with the 3d pictures for the mercs faces, they look horrible. Just look at Gus, he's a 30 year old kid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZkkIW9rKrM
jamotide is offline                         Send a private message to jamotide
Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

That doesn't really look either surprising or interesting to me. In fact, it looks like an old game named Commando...

It's not like real time games like Jagged Alliance never been done. They've been run down to the death actually. What made Jagged Alliance interesting was the turn based action... And they plan to remove it.

Great.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Capo
Unconventional member

They also removed the fog of war.

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 12-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
They also removed the fog of war.
JA series never had fog of war. From the video, I can see the basics of line-of-sight system, similar to other games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
That doesn't really look either surprising or interesting to me. In fact, it looks like an old game named Commando...

It's not like real time games like Jagged Alliance never been done. They've been run down to the death actually. What made Jagged Alliance interesting was the turn based action... And they plan to remove it.

Great.
Let me know when you stop being stuck in the 90's okay? Then I can start taking you seriously.

Now, what actually did make any of the Jagged Alliance interesting and different compared to say, X-Com, was the personalized characters and modern military setting, not necessarily the turn-based gameplay mechanics.

They changed the turn based to semi-turn based system or whatever. Okay, but instead of bitching about it immediately, lets wait 'till the game comes out and see how it works. Like I said, it looks similar to Frozen Synapse, which was a mixture of turn-based and real-time strategy (Unlike Commandos, which was real-time all-the-time), and that game was a surprise indy hit of the last year (but you probably didnt know that cause its too new for you).

And speaking of Commandos, this does not look like Commandos at all.

Last edited by TheChosen; 13-01-2012 at 04:33 AM.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 13-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

If you're talking about Pyro Studios' Commandos series (there must be millions of video games with the word "commando" in their titles)... I have played only C3 Berlin, I suppose the rest are similar, but it has nothing to do with JA, XCOM and the tactic genre. It's a plain puzzle game--which was a huge disappointment for me.
Old 13-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
JA series never had fog of war. From the video, I can see the basics of line-of-sight system, similar to other games.
JA did have a line of sight system. Otherwise you could have spotted the enemies only by entering a territory.
Quote:
Let me know when you stop being stuck in the 90's okay? Then I can start taking you seriously.
Really? Maybe if you could be the little least coherent I'd be the least bothered that you in particular don't take me seriously. And let me tell you why:
Quote:
Now, what actually did make any of the Jagged Alliance interesting and different compared to say, X-Com, was the personalized characters and modern military setting, not necessarily the turn-based gameplay mechanics.
First, you are the one intruducing X-com here. Second, of course the turn based gameplay mechanics is not what set JA and X-com different: they are exactly the same!

The only point I'd gladly concede would be that what made JA and X-com different is indeed the fact that X-com is fiction and JA is more real life, warfare (guerillera style) centered. But then again, this has absolutely nothing to do with the current conversation...
Quote:
They changed the turn based to semi-turn based system or whatever. Okay, but instead of bitching about it immediately, lets wait 'till the game comes out and see how it works.[...]
Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it. Why do I say that? Because it already happened. Since you seem to like talking about X-com, lets bring you a brilliant example: X-Com Apocalypse. They changed the game from turn based to a pausable RTS, the exact same kind of mechanics shown in the movie linked above, and it completely ruined the serie...
Quote:
[...]Like I said, it looks similar to Frozen Synapse[...]
I don't talk about things I don't know and thus I simply ignored that comment. Which should be apparent by the obvious fact that I didn't even mention it in my reply. However, to be very frank with you, I never even heard of that game before in any way. Not on the net, not from friends, not from whatever. Certainly a great classic to pit a 1994 game against...
Quote:
[...]which was a mixture of turn-based and real-time strategy (Unlike Commando[b]s[/s], which was real-time all-the-time),[...]
There is no such thing as a "mixture of turn-based and real time strategy". You either play the game in real time or in turn based strategy. You cannot have both. What you can have is an RTS which you can pause at any moment, like Baldur's Gate for example. Which is exactly what I am talking about by mentioning Commando!
Quote:
And speaking of Commandos, this does not look like Commandos at all.
You probably mean graphically, which if the case would consider this comment downright too stupid to reply to...

Quote:
If you're talking about Pyro Studios' Commandos series (there must be millions of video games with the word "commando" in their titles)... I have played only C3 Berlin, I suppose the rest are similar, but it has nothing to do with JA, XCOM and the tactic genre. It's a plain puzzle game--which was a huge disappointment for me.
Nope, I mean exactly that game. And I thought you were actually replying to Chosen since it indeed have absolutely nothing to do with the X-com type of game (and that was my whole point from the start too!)... But I'm the only one who really mentioned it

I played it when it got out, it was a hit and became a classic as far as I know. It was a game in which you had to move a commando unit in sequence to win every missions as they all had specialties to (ab)use and if you didn't plan your moves right you simply had to reload. Clearly nothing to do with a puzzle game though, I really wonder where you got that.

Unless you also consider games like Hitman a puzzle game?

Last edited by Eagle of Fire; 13-01-2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Hit the post button instead of preview by mistake
Eagle of Fire is offline                         Send a private message to Eagle of Fire
Old 13-01-2012, 04:05 AM   #8
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

It looked kinda interesting, but I was never a fan of Jagged Alliance, it played too slow and was too unbalanced. Maybe with a faster game play style I would be able to enjoy it.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 13-01-2012, 04:35 AM   #9
Fuzzyfireball

Once I heard they stripped the TBS from it I pretty much lost interest.
Fuzzyfireball is offline                         Send a private message to Fuzzyfireball
Old 13-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #10
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

I have come to a realization that there's no point arguing with Eagle of Fire about anythings thats new or, even worse, something new thats related to something old. You have completely missed my points. Great job. Im ignoring you from now on so dont bother answering to this.

Moving on...