Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Panthro
Man of Science

Default Quest for Glory V

I recently managed to get a copy of this game, which I had been looking forward to since I've completed the previous ones a few times each. All the games have their faults, but the overall feeling of the series always made me ignore any problems, and just concentrate on the good points.

However, I am struggling since installing this latest one, it just somehow feels a bit lacking in soul. Am I completely overreacting, and will the new graphical style be ignored once I get into the story, or am I doomed to look at this as just a mechanism to complete the series?
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro
Old 08-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Krazny

I have a vague memory of coming to terms with the game, but it doesn't hold a candle to the previous ones, no .
Krazny is offline                         Send a private message to Krazny
Old 08-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
ysorian
Uneducated Member

bah... all the quest games lost something when they became point and click i remember spending days on the early ones, in that way they really sucked you in but then i finished QFG III in about 5 hrs first time i played it. They never gave the thief enough options to test his skills either...
ysorian is offline                         Send a private message to ysorian
Old 08-06-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
Panthro
Man of Science

The only problem for me with point-and-click was the change in the fighting systems which became poor after QfG2.

QfG4 is my favourite, setting/story wise, but I think the only problem with 3 was that they rushed it, and there were thief options, some were harder to do. If they had spent more time, perhaps it could have been longer and more fulfilling.

I'm looking forward to the QfG2 remake thats being produced by AGD interactive, which is why I got QfG5 in the first place, for completeness. Perhaps if I'm really lucky someone will remake QfG5... with more retro graphics/interface!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Perhaps if I'm really lucky someone will remake QfG5... with more retro graphics/interface!
and the game would be hosted on outofammo.org
Old 08-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #6
ysorian
Uneducated Member

After the harem sequence for the thief in QFG II it all went downhill... lol... although the mages battle in III was kinda cool... didnt really stack up to WIT initiation in II tho... and the mages game in I was fun....

how many thief options were there in III? i only really remember breaking into the leopard shamans hut :-/
Old 09-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
Panthro
Man of Science

There were a couple of things, including with the rope seller, and breaking into the Simbani Laibons hut. It was more about how you solve the puzzles more than having thief-specific tasks to do, but that was true generally in QfG3, there was only really a side quest for the wizard, having to get the staff, which was necessary for the battle with the shaman anyway. QfG2 was better in most respects for class-specific quests.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
ysorian
Uneducated Member

This may have been a bug but i used to start with a fighter with thief and magic abilities in 1, pump up my honour in 2 by givin money to the beggar but still doin all the fun thief stuff, go thru 3 however i liked but by the time i imported my character to 4 it seemed to read the high honour skill coupled with initial fighter class as a paladin so for 4 i was a paladin, mage with thief abilities... lmao. just had to be careful not to thieve too much coz as honour went down so did paladin magic...
Old 11-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #9
Wicky
the little viking

I feel with you, what I did is playing halfway play through QfG5, then forgetting about it.. it's still on my harddrive but I don't feel like completing.

The story seems to be so linear. The combat is frustratingly easy because potions can be used in the middle of a fight. Most places are closed from exploration until the story demands it. You can even keep the hotkey for a spell pressed and then the max level is reached in a couple of seconds.

Qfg4 on the contrary was so cool with its mature setting, although the combat was a bit funnier in part 1 and 2 I even finished QFG1 (ega version) with typing only and no help whatsoever.
I'd say sequel 1-4 are recommendable, forget about the fifth part.
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 11-06-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
ysorian
Uneducated Member

i cant believe they didnt let u break into the temple or the palace in III or in any of them really... my worst experience was breakin into the house across the road from the scientist? type guy in 4 without realisin it was just before daybreak... i got stuck in there and there seemed to be no way to speed up time passin.

plus (i could be wrong about this but i dont know) time didnt seem to pass unless u kept ur guy movin so i spent hours movin him round. by the time i got to midmornin i gave up and went back to an earlier save.

(i was always shockin at savin so i had to go back a long way )

speakin of goin back to save games... does anyone agree that in 1 the mosquito thing that would jump out randomly and kill u in the "Brigands Warlock" lair was not really necessary? :cheesy:

When revisitin the game many years later i would neglect to save coz i knew how to go straight thru but then that little bugger would get me