Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
SpiDoL
Game Wizzard

Default Downloading stuff you legally own

I want to clarify something that's been bothering me for a while:

1. Is it OK to download a game you legally own?
-and-
2. Is it OK to download the BIOS file for a console you legally own?

I bought my WrestleFest motherboard so I could legally download the ROM for use with emulators. But according to the MAME team, you can't do that. They say in order for it to be completely legal, you have to dump the data from your own motherboard to your computer.

Also, I own two PS2 consoles, but I always download my BIOS file to use in PCSX2. But the PCSX2 team literally forces you to dump your own BIOS from your own console, not caring that you need a modchip installed in your PS2 in order to dump it.

Is this true? Do I really have to do what these people say in order to call myself legit? Or are these people just a bunch of evil ***** who like to impose their will on others just because they think they're right?

I do want to be a legal gamer, but I don't have to be 100% clean. And IMO, anyone who expects you to be is a psychopath.
SpiDoL is offline                         Send a private message to SpiDoL
Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Under DCMA laws doing anything to defeat software or hardwares DRM (or other such things) is illegal. So it comes down to technicalities, dumping a bios could be considered an attempt to defeat a DRM, same as rom dumping. The only way to be 100% legit is to own everything legally, any emulation could be argued to be illegal if you felt like dropping into the technicalities of the law as I understand it.

Like our site, sites that provide close to illegal stuff tend to be very careful about telling people to stay within the law and not allowing any leeway. Just like we block any attempts to post link to games we consider unacceptable they ensure they tell people to get a hold of bios and the like legally so no one can blame them for others breaking the law.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 02-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

1. Morally yes, because you already paid for it. Legally, it's still piracy.
2. Morally... perhaps. Legally not at all.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

The police are probably not gonna bother to come down there and arrest you. Its illegal, but I prefer to go by the morality rule and download stuff thats not easily obtainable (no re-releases, no digital downloads, all used copies are overly expensives). Pretty much the same kind of guidelines Abandonia follows.

EDIT: When it comes to roms (and BIOS files too, If I remember correctly), the legal way to emulate them is to make a rom (or BIOS) dump by yourself. Using someone else's files is illegal. But again, I apply the morality rule.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 02-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
I totally agree with this.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
jamotide
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
2. Morally... perhaps. Legally not at all.
Sure? Nowadays we dont really buy software anymore, technically we just rent a license to use it. At least that what they tell you when you ask for a refund after they banned your ass from all the games because you said something wrong on the origin forum, or so I heard...
So once you have obtained a license downloading the program should not matter.
Even Microsoft now offers their windows CDs for everyone to download.
jamotide is offline                         Send a private message to jamotide
Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I heard that if you buy something then talk about it you get banned from the club! No one talks about fight club!

The worst I have ever heard about that was a guy who got banned from one game, then his Origin account for abuse. He still had the content on his PC and could easily crack it, but couldn't play online any more, which must have been a godsend for the other people since according to some the first ban was from racial slurs being used. You have only ever really rented a license to use copyrighted material, and that license has always had restrictions, "Can't be resold, can't be copied, can't be used to make your own program". Nowadays part of that license lets you onto forums and other places and they add in "Don't be a dick on our sites". Even if you download digitally you still have the game on your computer, you can even make backups with Steam so you don't need to redownload the game. And if you do get your ass banned perhaps you should look at yourself and wonder why that happened, not just blame everyone else and chuck a hissy fit.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 13-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
It is important to point out that ownership of an idea, or ideal object, effectively gives the IP owners a property right in every physical embodiment of that work or invention. . . .

The problem is that if property rights are recognized in non-scarce resources, this necessarily means that property rights in tangible resources are correspondingly diminished. . . .

Prima facie, therefore, IP law trespasses against or “takes” the property of tangible property owners, by transferring partial ownership to authors and inventors.
Old 13-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

I prefer to hoist the colours high, because why not. Emulation is quite a complicated matter as you just wrote, but for PC software I think it is legal. Or used to be - old games, like LucasArts ones from the Monkey Island era required you to make backup copies of the original floppys and play with the backups, so the originals wouldn't be damaged from daily use. This is logical, since who would want an original disk to be scratched? You just can't be careful enough. I myself lost an original Star Wars: Jedi Knight II disk due to a fatally broken drive literally cutting it in half. Too bad I didn't make a backup to use.

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker