Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Default Most original/creative games around here...?

...That is, games that are (or at least were) actually special; different, and not just the average thing. Bad or good doesn't matter.

I think System Shock counts as one. I haven't played anything like that before.

Preferably something with awesome interface. Yes, I love them interfaces. Especially when they blend into the game and doesn't feel like something on the side - like in Bioforge (where you use your characters hand to navigate the menus), Metroid Prime (HUD on the visor), Fallout 3 (pip-boy), most space slight sims, etc.

Oh, and it has to be for DOS.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Acethor
HECU Marine

The Lost Vikings.

Awesome game, extremely addictive, good control method (control 3 guys separately to solve puzzles) and nice graphics... Blizzard was making great games even in the early years of their existence!

We need help!! Click the link above if you're interested!
Acethor is offline                         Send a private message to Acethor
Old 01-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Oh yeah, I love The Lost Vikings! Thanks for reminding me about it.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

You play a time traveler in the Journeyman Project games and each game has a pretty cool interface where you control your suit and activate certain functions.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 01-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Journeyman Project looks pretty interesting. Thanks.

Keep 'em coming!
Old 01-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
dkw
Forum hobbit

Dungeon Master, cloned beyond belief, created the First Person RPG interface, looks about 4 years ahead of its time in graphics, and set the standard for future first person games and RPGs.
Some of the known Clones
Eye of the Beholder Trilogy
Lands of Lore
Might and Magic 3 and beyond
Anvil of Dawn

Civilization, created the standard for Empire building, globe spanning, turn based games. Series still going strong today.

X-COM UFO Defense (aka UFO Enemy Unknown), a sleeper classic that sits on every official "Best Games Of All Time" lists. Created fully destroyable terrain, skilled tactical combat AI, and once you learn the basics of the game, it draws you in without you realizing it; a feat that many games have trouble matching.
To my knowledge, aside from the X-COM Trilogy, and Silent Storm and Silent Storm Sentinels, fully destroyable terrain is something no other squad tactical has been able to match, including almost every other game of any genre as well.

Last edited by dkw; 02-06-2009 at 02:03 AM.
dkw is offline                         Send a private message to dkw
Old 01-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

X-Com Apocalypse, on account of better developed squad management and physics engine than in the first two parts of the series. Demolishing a building's structural support and watching it fold like a house of cards tends to give a twisted sense of satisfaction. (not to forget that you can do the same thing with items like staircases etc, thus giving the terrain destruction a useful function as a means of limiting the enemy's movement)

Robinson's Requiem, on account of being a survival game... where you actually have to bother about survival. And yes, that does mean malaria and flu can kill you in it just as effectively as a venomous spider. Fractures, splinters, purifying water before drinking it, sewing up your wounds... it's all in there.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Thanks for sharing, guys.

Also, upon visiting Robinson's Requiem's page, I also find this game called Wolf (>Video<). Seems like a quite unique and interesting game. I haven't played it yet, though, so I don't know.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:58 AM   #9
dkw
Forum hobbit

Steel Panthers made regimental military command accessible to the average gamer, and was the ideal board game to computer game conversion. Made specifically by Strategic Simulations Inc. for that purpose, as a remake of Kampfgroupe.

Although not a DOS game, to my knowledge anyway, Garrison. It took arcade Gauntlet style games, significantly improved upon it, and made it a fun computer game conversion.

Just because someone else will say it eventually, Wolfenstein 3D. Created the first viable fully 3D engine for computer games. While not as well known as Doom, Wolfenstein 3D was the first completely 3D game.
Dungeon Master came very close, but would more accurately be called 2.5D, but it was the inspiration for a full 3D design.

Doom, simply because it was cloned almost as much as Dungeon Master, and showed the world that a 3D engine was viable for game graphics.

Simcity, the game that launched the company Maxis. A great city builder game that showed even simple things can be fun if done correctly.
Maxis created all the Sim(insert name) games and created the interesting game SPORE.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:13 AM   #10
ianfreddie07
wat

Hmm... Try Coaster from Disney. The first 3D rollercoaster simulator and it's on DOS.