Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-06-2007, 05:57 PM   #11
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

Easy and understandable.
For people like me who have had alot of fixed to DOS years of experience and had that in the Recent past, there is nothing that is to be called 'Difficult' in that little text of yours.

So MM, Good work. k:

Now to add some 'Difficulty'

Here is the line from my Dosbox.conf file that dictates my Dosbox C:\ Drive

mount c D:\Games -freesize 800

You see that there is a size added..
It was required when Dosbox was complaining there WASN'T enough drivesize due to the fact that my actual D Drive has a LOT MORE space than A DOS could recognise.

I distilled the -freesize 800 from the added readme, that comes with dosbox.
Well... That's a Dificult peace of text.

What if you would take a good look at that text and create a better (and in plain language) compilation from it.

I believe you're capable of it.

Member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
GTX2GvO is offline                         Send a private message to GTX2GvO
Old 05-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #12
broomgrove

Just to clarify on what GTX2GvO has just said...

Edit the config file for DOSBOX and you will see right at the bottom a section referring to the... sorry - just reminiscing back to the good old days... OK, back now, where was I, oh yes - Autoexec.

Enter the following as the last two lines of the config file...

mount c c:\dosgames
c:

replace c:\dosgames with the drive and name of your folder.

When you run DOSBOX it will automatically mount your drive and change to it for you.
I am just trying to remember how to code a basic menu and implement it in the config so you can have a simple menu from within DOSBOX. :wallbash:

Damn these front-ends and GUI's - they take the fun out of everything!

BRING BACK DOS 6.2

Right I am off to find a Duplicate...
Captain Blood.
broomgrove is offline                         Send a private message to broomgrove
Old 05-06-2007, 06:02 PM   #13
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

GTX2GvO:

I'm sorry but I never encountered that before, so I don't know anything about it. I suggest that anyone familiar with the -freesize thing modify and re-post the text. As far as I'm concerned, I couldn't care less about "copyrights" LOL

Cpt Blood: There's a DOSBox / Autoexec topic in "technical" by me (I forgot it wasn't about Autoecex, but config) where I asked how to create such a menu. Japofran provided a good link and there you will find the "choise" command for your autoexec.

EDIT Here's a sketch of that menu:

http://www.computerhope.com/batch.htm#1

I guess one modified menu could look like this

@ECHO OFF
:BEGIN
CLS
CHOICE /N /C:12 PICK A NUMBER (1 Colonization, 2 Future Wars)%1
IF ERRORLEVEL ==2 GOTO FUTUREWARS
IF ERRORLEVEL ==1 GOTO COLONIZATION
GOTO END
:FUTUREWARS
CD FWARS
FW
GOTO END
:COLONIZATION
CD COLONIZE
COLONIZE
:END

Where the games are in C:\FWARS and C:\COLONIZE respectively
Old 05-06-2007, 06:18 PM   #14
broomgrove

MIGHTY MIDGET:

Thanks for the link to the batch file info.
Should have remembered that from my old job! Used to work for Game Ltd and spent many a time re-writing autoexec.bat files and config.sys files for people's computers so they could run pc games.

I even remember when Horde was released on CD - it was the second CD based game we stocked at the time. I forget what the first was, I think it was the 7th GATE. Not sure.

I am a little old skool in that I prefer to jump straight in with software and not bother with the manual - this way I think you learn the complexities by trial and error which in my opinion is the best way.

Captain Blood.
broomgrove is offline                         Send a private message to broomgrove
Old 05-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #15
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Jun 5 2007, 08:02 PM) [snapback]293072[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I suggest that anyone familiar with the -freesize thing modify and re-post the text.[/b]
Well let's start with adding that Readme I was talking about. (don't worry, just the important stuff)

[attachmentid=4017]

Annyone who can understand this in it's fullest should try to translate it in something everyone understands.

OK I might be able to understand a good 60% of this stuff, but I don't know how to make a nice readable text out of it.
(I want to make it EASIER not more DIFFICULT)

I'm not going to change texts, if I'm unsure of the difficulty level I would implement.

Member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
GTX2GvO is offline                         Send a private message to GTX2GvO
Old 05-06-2007, 09:57 PM   #16
broomgrove

Just checked the readme and I agree...

I think that if you try and change anything you are going to make it harder to understand.
I have tried to re-write sections of this text in an easier to understand form but it just does not read well.

So everyone who understands the mount command etc unite!

If anyone cannot get mount to work or any other command then drop a new topic and let's get some help flowing. If everyone is up for this then I am sure we can get most problems sorted out.

I know working with DOS can be scary if you have never used it before - but I am willing to offer any help I can.

Everyone was a noob, noobie, newbie or whatever you want to call it at some time.

There are lots of topics in several forums that probably cover DOSBOX and it's commands but let's remind people to ask for help if they need it.

Captain Blood
Old 05-06-2007, 11:18 PM   #17
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I've worked in DOS for a long time. I know my way around too.

To make a menu, I used to use ASCII graphics and a batch file. I would not do ASCII graphics anymore tough because I lost my program I used to make them and you need to load the ASCII drivers in the autoexec.exe or config.sys files... Drivers which don't exist with DOSBox. Hell, 3/4 of the possible commands of MSDos, or even more, are not available in DOSBox...
Old 06-06-2007, 06:22 AM   #18
Data
retired

the dosbox shell has builtin ansi support to do graphics.