Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
swiss
who's not Swiss

Default Going to Iceland ...

... and need some advice.

Hey fellow Abandonians.
I know some of you are from Iceland. I am going there in a few days and I am terribly lost in all the things the "Lonely Planet" tells me to go.

So what would you say I really would need to go? (please don't mention the obvious like Dettifoss, Gulfoss, Geysir, etc.) I heard of the fisherman who has this smelly fermented shark - the guy who's a hobby vulcan explorer in Reykjavik, and stuff like that.

Really looking forward to hearing from you!

Thank you in advance and kind regards,

swiss (who's not Swiss - as some might remember )
swiss is offline                         Send a private message to swiss
Old 07-07-2010, 02:34 AM   #2
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

My french teacher, regardless of the fact that i hate her and she made me hate the french language, went to iceland, and showed us some pictures of the stuff they did, and i think it'd be neat for one to go on one of the many pony-ride's along the country side with all the mountains around, etc

Dont worry, icelandic horses are special; they arn't liek normal horses, they're WAY smaller, nothing to bee afraid of. Theirs a reason they're called "ponies"

If you've got any interest in history, im sure theres probably allot of viking theme'd thing gummies you could check out, you could also probably check out the individual churches all the farmers have

AND TRY TO GET CLOSE TO THE VOLCANO!

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 07-07-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Wow! Swiss (who is not swiss) loooooong time no see - welcome back I know nothing about Iceland, but have a lovely trip!
Old 08-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

this calls for freyja advice!
*summons freyja*
Old 08-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Bejelith
Forum hobbit

Send a message via Yahoo to Bejelith

Well, take some warm clothes with you.
And your hammer!
Bejelith is offline                         Send a private message to Bejelith
Old 09-07-2010, 03:23 AM   #6
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
this calls for freyja advice!
*summons freyja*
freyja hasn't been online in like ever atleast I havn't seen her

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 09-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

freyja on facebook: (i think she forgot her ab password)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyja
09 July at 15:26
This connection sucks.

Anyways.

Things to do in Iceland... well... there's a lot to do and see!
I'm right now in the most beautiful place in the world, Breiðavík. It's in the western fjords, close to Látrabjarg which is an awesome cliff with puffins, it's the westerrnmost part of Iceland. Many people say it's the westernmost part of Europe, but that's a misunderstanding, that's in the Azores. Anywho. There's a really great hotel here, owned by my aunt incidentally. I recommend it, there's also a camping site. There's a white beach and stuff.

The western fjords in general are really pretty, especially when I'm around. I'm joking. Or am I?

Then there's the Borgarfjörður area, it's in western Iceland but more south than the fjords. It's really cool, some awesome waterfalls and stuff.

Then... the southern/south-eastern part is also really beautiful. I'm actually going there in August with some foreign friends of mine. Vík í Mýrdal (Reynisdrangar), Seljalandsfoss, Jökulsárlón (they've filmed some james bond stuff there), Höfn í Hornafirði, etc. Oh, and Eyjafjallajökull is there

Now, northern Iceland. Mývatn is awesome. It's a big lake, and there's also a lagoon there similar to the Blue Lagoon but they say it's less touristy. I haven't been there in years, unfortunately. Akureyri is a great town, got a nice vibe to it. They say they've got the best ice cream in iceland there, I'm gonna try it when I go there in september - I'm actually moving to a place not too far away from Akureyri!

Omg I can't believe I almost forgot Vestmannaeyjar. I can't remember when Swiss said he'd be in Iceland, but if he'll be there around 30th of july, I'd definitely recommend trying to get tickets to Vestmannaeyjar. There's a huge party going on there during the weekend, with tens of thousands of people and lots of bands and lots of alcohol and lots of tents. Really cool. And in general it's a pretty neat place, with puffins (yay!) and stuff. I like it there.

I'm not very familiar with eastern Iceland, I'm afraid, but it's beautiful and stuff. Like the rest.

Now, Reykjavík... if Swiss is interested in history, there's a pretty cool museum in Perlan. It's a bit like madam tussouds (sp?) but portrays the history of Iceland. Guests get headphones and they pick a language, then walk between different scenes from the history. It's pretty awesome, imo!
Then there's a pretty cool museum by the uni campus, Þjóðminjasafnið. It's got old stuff.

Kolaportið is a market by the harbour that's open in the weekends, you can find anything there. Also dried fish, which is yummy. Just don't forget the Smjör.

I could keep on forever... you can pass on my email address, [in a pm] and I'll try to answer if he's got any further questions

Fre
Old 21-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
swiss
who's not Swiss

whee - thank you _russ and of course freyja for the very helpful tipps. We´ve been in Breiðavik just a few days ago. I really wonder if I saw Freyja - she hasn´t got red hair - does she? anyway - I come back on you guys later - this country is just wonderful!!! Right now we are at lake Myvatn - going to enjoy some hot springs and stuff like that ... c-ya, swiss (who still isn't Swiss)
swiss is offline                         Send a private message to swiss