Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
AdyShearer

Default An isometric platformer with an alien

I've had this game on my mind for a long time. I have tried in other areas, searched numerous sites and looked up game magazines from that time and still nothing.
When I played it, it was a demo on a PC Games or PC Gamer CD. Now, I'm not American, I live in Romania, so things of this sort was pretty sparse in my region.

However, I remember having Small Soldiers Squad Commander and possibly Claw, Warlords 3 Darklords Rising and 7th Legion on the CD as well. Perhaps even Recoil and Virtua Fighter 2, although, looking up the release dates, it was nigh impossible for all of those to feature together.

The game was a somewhat isometric although the camera could have been controlled, but I think it was controlled after you died or finished the level.
You were a small alien, either green or purple or some other color, and had a jet pack with which you could fly to certain areas.
I don't recall what you collected, but I know you collected something.
The closest to this was Gubble, but that's not it.
Oh, the graphics were more like Gubble and other games from that period, a faux 3d like thing.

It may have been a demo only and no further mention of it, although I have seen some mention of games that failed to be released.
AdyShearer is offline                         Send a private message to AdyShearer
Old 07-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Megaten
Abandonia nerd

hey, is there any chance that you're thinking of Twinsen's Odyssey, AKA Little Big Adventure 2? I woke up after a few hours of uncomfortable sleep with a full bladder the notion that you might be talking about this classic.

The game was a mix of polygons against pre-rendered isometric for inside areas (like the original game) and a fully 3D world for outside areas (with an odd camera system that could be a bit unpredictable). Like the original game, you get a "Proto-Pack", which at first can only let you move horizontally. Oh yeah, and the game is kind of alien (although the plot of the game features aliens visiting the already rather unusual inhabitants of a world).

If it isn't this game, can you say how the isometric screenshots compare to the game from your memory?
Megaten is offline                         Send a private message to Megaten
Old 09-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
AdyShearer

LBA is an adventure type game, whereas my game was a level based puzzle game a la Lode Runner, Pac Man, Boulder Dash etc.
I know a lot of games from that period (96-99) but I don't know, maybe mine was only on Dos or only a demo?
I have no idea. As for the visuals, I remember them being more grainy, a la Total Annihilation, Warzone 2100 and other games that had those graphics.
AdyShearer is offline                         Send a private message to AdyShearer
Old 10-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Megaten
Abandonia nerd

so, uh, maybe you already considered this, but did you know Gubble got a sequel? A Gubble 2/II where the titular alien is walking instead of flying, and it seems he has to collect fuel to be able to fly to other platforms. It's nowhere near as prominent as the first game, although I guess still a bit more prominent than "Gubble Buggy Racer". Neither of these is currently mentioned on the Gubble homepage.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/gubble-2
http://web.archive.org/web/200004180...om/gubble2.htm
(that's the first revision of the page with screenshots at the bottom)

There's several playthrough videos on Youtube.
There also seems to be a advergame version promoting Kinder Eggs, oddly enough.

I apologize if this also isn't it/you've previously considered this, but I had no idea there was a second Gubble game (or a kart spinoff) until a few hours ago, and I'm feeling a little...bewildered.
Megaten is offline                         Send a private message to Megaten
Old 11-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
AdyShearer

I knew about the sequel. Actually, when I played both I thought it was it, but it's not. Gubble 2 fits the timeline and the character, as he is purple, but I'm not sure what clothes my character had. Either green or yellow, maybe even red.
Oh, this has been released on the PS 1 if it interests you.
I didn't know there was an advergame, but judging by that screenshot, it looks the same.