Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 22-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Mods, hacks... however you name it, it's the same thing - taking a game and changing it to fit your idea.
Well hacks tend to be simple and mods can be complex which makes quite a big difference if you want to write an interesting article. Most hacks involved changing stats like how fast you can run, unlimited lives, etc. They were really trainers.

However you want to see it, there weren't many editors back then so, unless we mostly look at the late 90's and early part of the 21st century, we'll quickly run out of material.

That's not to say we can't have at least a few articles but I fear we'll run out of material soon. It's quite hard these days to find old mods as well. I still have a bunch of ancient Doom & Duke 3D CDs that are filled with old mods but that's about it. Most of these are maps, extra sounds, etc. so I dunno if that would even translate well to an article.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 22-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #12
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

A ''Game of the Month'' section (with the latter part changed depending on how often the issues are pumping out)? I love those.

Hmm... Perhaps...

!

Game Guides/Tips/Cheats

Exactly what the title suggests; A section featuring guides, cheats or tips on one or more games. If guides, it could include a small section per issue. That would help getting material, too. Imagine having this game guide on 7 pages, and split it up to fit half a page per issue... or so. Unless that would just bore people...

Challenge of the Month (Name could be changed to whatever, really...)

A section featuring a challenge for the people. Perhaps ''What a certain person said at a certain point in a certain game'', or ask them to take a screenshot of a specific enemy - and they'd have to reply (with the quote, screenshot, or whatever) in a specifically made topic somewhere on the forums.

Challenges are FUN!

Special Thanks

A section thanking the top contributer/s (to the site) of that month. Or just random thanks to people who have helped. Could just be on the back cover, inside the first page, or whatever. They would deserve it, either way!

That's all I can come up with right now. I'm boring, I know.
Old 22-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #13
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
And TC: I don't mind having a console/arcade corner of a page or 3 as long as the rest remains PC games only. I especially would like PC games and console/arcade games to be compared from time to time. Also, some game series only had a few games released on PC. Take the Dizzy collection. In fact, dibs on an article about Dizzy and its many console/PC games
Um, 3 pages? C'mon! Thats not cool! I thought we were making something like Retrogamer rather than PCGamer.

Its not fair that PC games have whole magazine, while couple of console games only get their own corner, and they're probably in the same article too.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 23-04-2009, 03:22 AM   #14
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen View Post
Um, 3 pages? C'mon! Thats not cool! I thought we were making something like Retrogamer rather than PCGamer.

Its not fair that PC games have whole magazine, while couple of console games only get their own corner, and they're probably in the same article too.
Well the mag is supposed to be an extension of the site and since Abandonia doesn't host console games ... Besides, I think it will make things too confusing by mixing it all up since many games had releases on different formats. 3 pages is not bad if you ask me.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 23-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #15
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Let's not forget we're testing the waters with the 1st issue.
Worry about filling these 3 pages in the first place.
If we have more console reviews than that, then the section might warrant expanding.

Aye or Nay?
A single question is presented to each member of the magazine staff and the contributors - eg "Is Diablo a role-playing game?". Meanwhile, an anonymous poll on the same subject is presented on the forums.
There's a limited amount of space for each contributor to explain his opinion on the subject, (4 lines of text or so) and on the end of the article we summarize which opinion was more prevealant among us and what did the AB community have to say on the subject.
The logo for that feature could be a yin-yang symbol, except replacing the dots with a thumb up and thumb down .

Unplugged
Non-computer, non-console, non-arcade gaming. Role-playing, boardgames, tabletop wargames and so on.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 23-04-2009 at 12:07 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #16
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

Oh God... More Diablo talk. Will it ever end? I regret writing the title of that thread so much. It reminded people. Gah.

I like the idea, however. But pleeeeeaaase, forget about Diablo; It's enough discussed already.
Old 23-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #17
Acethor
HECU Marine

Diablo is not a role-playing game. I hope we have established that already.

We need help!! Click the link above if you're interested!
Acethor is offline                         Send a private message to Acethor
Old 23-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #18
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

...You had to, didn't you? Don't start the discussion here.
Old 23-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #19
Acethor
HECU Marine

I was agreeing with Fifth. Don't make this into something ugly.

We need help!! Click the link above if you're interested!
Acethor is offline                         Send a private message to Acethor
Old 23-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #20
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

...*sigh*