Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-10-2006, 05:47 AM   #1
irish411

Ok. I'm pretty fraggin' swamped on this one. Abandonia says that Death Gate must be installed to D:\, but my D drive is for my CD/DVD drive. No luck there! If I download to C:\ and run straight from Windows, I can get the game to run, but I don't have any sound. I've tried running a config, but it keep giving me error msgs with "abort, retry, fail" options to no avail. I then try to run it using VDMS or Dosbox, also to no avail. I'm just plain pissed at this point. Any help out there? Thx.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
irish411 is offline                         Send a private message to irish411
Old 30-10-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

What version of Windows do you have?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 31-10-2006, 02:44 AM   #3
irish411

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Oct 30 2006, 05:13 AM) [snapback]264288[/snapback]
Quote:
What version of Windows do you have?
[/b]

I'm running Windows XP. I also have VDMSound and Dosbox, but I cannot seem to get them to run DGate. I keep getting the error msg that the program can't read the CD...? I hope this helps. Thank you for your concern.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old 31-10-2006, 03:11 AM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Technical note:
This game must be run from the D:\DGATE directory, so extract your archive to D:\. There is no sound when running in Windows XP, so I recommend VDMSound or, of course, DOSBox. [/b]
I downloaded the game from Abandonia in my c:\jeux (means games in french) directory. Once there, I unzipped it like normal, and it gave me a "c:\jeux\Death Gate" directory. Since I know that spaces and names too long don't work well in DOSBox, I renamed that directory as Dgate.

Inside my new "c:\jeux\Dgate" directory, there is another Dgate directory which contain the game in question. That directory is named "c:\jeux\Dgate\Dgate".

Fired up DOSBox 0.63 (never got around to get the new version yet), typed in "mount d: c:\jeux\Dgate" and typed D: to get to d:\. I then typed "cd Dgate" to get in the newly mounted "d:\Dgate" directory, and typed "Dgate.exe".

From there, the game started up with sound and everything without a notch. Can't work better on my end.

Erm, sorry... I was about to go to sleep when I wrote that...
Old 31-10-2006, 06:16 AM   #5
Data
retired

QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Oct 31 2006, 05:11 AM) [snapback]264450[/snapback]
Quote:
Fired up DOSBox 0.63 (never got around to get the new version yet), typed in "mount d: c:\jeux\Dgate" and typed D: to get to d:\. I then typed "cd Dgate" to get in the newly mounted "d:\Dgate" directory, and typed "Dgate.exe".
[/b]
Old 02-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #6
irish411

[Inside my new "c:\jeux\Dgate" directory, there is another Dgate directory which contain the game in question. That directory is named "c:\jeux\Dgate\Dgate".

Fired up DOSBox 0.63 (never got around to get the new version yet), typed in "mount d: c:\jeux\Dgate" and typed D: to get to d:\. I then typed "cd Dgate" to get in the newly mounted "d:\Dgate" directory, and typed "Dgate.exe".]

I have set up a DOS file in which I install all of my DOS games to be run by DOSBox. All of my game files are under the folder "CDrive" as recommended by Abandonia's walkthrough for installing DOSBox. At the moment, my DGATE folder is under "c:\DOS\CDrive\Dgate". I typed "mount d: c:\DOS\CDrive\DGate" and got a confirmation message. I then typed "d:" to switch to D:, but when I typed DGATE again, all I got was "Illegal command: dgate". Could it be that there is a conflict of commands? My CD ROM is already mounted as D:...could that be the problem, and if so, then how do I fix this. Thank you all for your assistance.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:46 AM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

It doesn't matter at all. What is important is that the game must be run from D:\Dgate. This mean that you must create a second Dgate directory in which you place the real game into, then you mount the first Dgate directory as D:. This way, you'll get the D:\Dgate directory you need to run the game.

Once you go to D:, you must type "dir Dgate" to get in the directory, then type "Dgate" to run the game.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:52 AM   #8

QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Nov 3 2006, 02:46 AM) [snapback]265079[/snapback]
Quote:
It doesn't matter at all. What is important is that the game must be run from D:\Dgate. This mean that you must create a second Dgate directory in which you place the real game into, then you mount the first Dgate directory as D:. This way, you'll get the D:\Dgate directory you need to run the game.

Once you go to D:, you must type "dir Dgate" to get in the directory, then type "Dgate" to run the game.
[/b]

Every time I request that dos "mount d: c:\dos\cdrive\dgate" I am informed that "drive D is already mounted for CD Rom."

Old 07-11-2006, 08:01 AM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Open up DosBox.conf and put a # symbol on the beginning of the line that mounts your CD drive as drive D. Works like the old DOS-era REM in batch files, ie makes the computer ignore that line.

Now run DosBox and mount that directory as your drive D.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 08-11-2006, 05:28 AM   #10
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I never liked the DOSBox tutorial which can be found on this site... And this is another excellent reason.