Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-12-2005, 11:17 PM   #21
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

That's one of the one's I can't understand.

And I can't understand why if everyone voted for Lord of the Rings as a trilogy, why didn't they Vote for Starwars as a Trilogy, Empire Stikes back deserves so much better than 54th.

Sin City got a pretty good placing since it come out half way through the votings.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 07-12-2005, 11:42 PM   #22
Yobor
Hero Gamer

As to the "Donnie Darko" area of talk-age, it is extremely interesting at the end, upon which the movie makes no sense. Then, reading the official actual story of the movie on the internet, it all became very lame-ish. Originally, I think it was planned to be based on the concepts of god and religion, but for some reason it was cut out at the last minute (A lot of deleted scenes have references to god in them).
Yobor is offline                         Send a private message to Yobor
Old 07-12-2005, 11:42 PM   #23
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Ones that confuse me.

67. Napoleon Dynamite
75. When Harry Met Sally
23. The Matrix (Good film, but not THAT good)
31. Moulin Rouge (I despised this sooo much)
58. Love Actually

Seriously though...
The list would work much better and make much more sense in terms of quality like this.

1. The Shawshank Redemption
2. Amelie
3. Gone With The Wind
4. To Kill A Mockingbird
5. Casablanca
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey
7. Pulp Fiction
8. Doctor Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
9. Blade Runner
10. Doctor Zhivago
11. The Wizard of Oz
12. A Clockwork Orange
13. The Godfather
14. Lawrence Of Arabia
15. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
16. It's a Wonderful Life
17. Citizen Kane
18. The City of Lost Children
19. Spirited Away
20. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
21. Fargo
22. The Sound of Music
23. The Blues Brothers
24. Withnail and I
25. Singin' in the Rain
26. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
27. Aliens
28. The Piano
29. Romeo And Juliet
30. Chariots of Fire
31. Goodfellas
32. Alien
33. All About Eve
34. Fight Club
35. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
36. American Beauty
37. Donnie Darko (It is a good film, but the director and writer didn't do very well in conveying the message, leaving a mystery is fine, but this was ridiculous, especially when that mystery does have a logical explanation. Some parts were terribly paced, and the movie was horribly flawed at points, although these are some major faults, the movie had some incredible scenes, acting was golden, and the writing was at times a climax of skill. Then again, the movie fails horridly when it tries to accomplish a plausible ending, then leaves the viewer off with a even worse mystery, it was poorly constructed too, the only way you could possibly have figured it out is through strenous viewing, and that's alot of viewing to actually figure it out, go through the website's little mystery tour, or read it online. That kind of hassle is not what makes a film, although with its plusses, Donnie Darko fails in far too many major areas to actually make a incredible and amazing film, the keyword here is also "Cult" along with "Following". Donnie Darko is recognized by many, but simply because it's a complex and thinking film, only a few can understand and enjoy it, and that's where the film fails, you need to captivate all manner of audiences, and Donnie Darko just turns off too many people. I'm sorry, but if you are trying to make a film, this is unacceptable, if ten of my friends are shown this film, and they all turn it down, there's something wrong, if you can't at least be entertained, then you must have made a film that only registers to certain people, and that's why it fails. Key point, anyone here actually enjoy About Schmidt? There are a select few of you most likely, including me, but despite all the fantastic surroundings of the film, it just couldn't register to most people. That's the first step to making a film, conveying it to the audience in a pre-thought planning, how can you ruin that?)

Of course, this was a majority of a population voting, so many of the results are ridiculous.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 07-12-2005, 11:49 PM   #24
Yobor
Hero Gamer

It sounds like you're contradicting yourself by saying that films you like are bad. In my opinion, if I like a movie, screw everyone else it's amazing and I will love it.

How can The Street Fighter not make the list?

Oh, and that review doesn't do the film justice. Ahh.... I can imagine the scene where Sonny rips out that black guy's (the only black guy in the film, and he's a rapist, its horrible) "groin area" and throws it to the floor with a nice little "Splat"
Yobor is offline                         Send a private message to Yobor
Old 07-12-2005, 11:49 PM   #25
Evad
Game freak

Ummmm, where's Willow?
Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad
Old 07-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #26
moogle
Abandonia Homie

BP, IMDB top 250 in case you haven't seen it, Godfather is #1,and he shawshak redemption is #2

Donnie Darko was OK, it was a verry interesting plot, but it was verry hard to follow, and had a little bit too much language for my tastes, but I think only the Director's cut has that much language in it.
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 08-12-2005, 12:30 AM   #27
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Napoleon Dynamite? I loved that film. It's completely and utterly pointless and focuses on such a tiny and uninteresting subject (reflecting the existences of the characters at the start of the film in a nifty way) but impossible not to fall in love with.

I disagree with you about Donnie Darko, I know loads of people who like it and it's hardly a tiny cult following if all of (well, a slightly geekier-than-average subset of, presumably) Australia decide it's their fifth favourite film is it? I like the ending (in the theatrical release at least) - the whole point of it for me was that it was so open to interpretation, so everyone who saw it came away with their own ideas about what had happened. How often does that happen with any other superhero movie?

Isn't this in the wrong forum?
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 08-12-2005, 12:42 AM   #28
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Beef, that is your first post I ever read that made absolutly no sense.
I didn't understand a thing you said.

My Site -
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 08-12-2005, 12:52 AM   #29
moogle
Abandonia Homie

Beef's post translated in Piggish

Napoleon Dynamite=pointless=good
Donnie Darko=free interperitation of story=cult=good
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 08-12-2005, 12:53 AM   #30
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It still doesn't make any sense.
That only confused me more.

My Site -