Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Are you supporting the idea about alternative reviews?
Yes, I am. 17 48.57%
No, I don't. 18 51.43%
I don't know. 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 02:13 AM   #21
Unknown Hero
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Yobor@Apr 2 2005, 03:11 AM
I voted 'No' because I am worried about reviews not counting for as much. If another person writes a review, and is better at writing, then the first Review would be in danger of being obsolete.
And then we can sopstitute the bad review with better one. k:
Unknown Hero is offline                         Send a private message to Unknown Hero
Old 02-04-2005, 02:37 AM   #22
Yobor
Hero Gamer

That is exactly my point. A lot of people work very hard on their Reviews, and just because they are not as good a writer as someone else does not mean they should lose credit for it.
Yobor is offline                         Send a private message to Yobor
Old 02-04-2005, 03:32 AM   #23
Flop
Hero Gamer

I suppose that is a matter of priority. What's more important, the reviewers or the reviews? Personally I would say the reviews, but I still have a lot of respect for the people who put in the work to do them in the first place. Still, some reviews really ought to be changed, but I think it would only be right to ask the person in question before doing anything (he/she might even be willing to change it himself).
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 02-04-2005, 03:34 AM   #24
Chris
Abandonia Homie

@ Unknown Hero:

Generally I understand what you mean, but I don't think you've got my point. You seem to make a difference between the languages. To say it clearly, Abandonia is an english site. The main language is english and the reviews are also in english. One of the main strenghts of the site is, as I said in the discussion thread, the multi-language-capabilitiy. That means (from a quality oriented perspective) that you get the same contents in each language and not different ones.

I comment your arguments, trying to be not to harsh. Some statements may sound rude, but please forgive me...

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown Hero+ Apr 2 2005, 03:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Unknown Hero @ Apr 2 2005, 03:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
1. Someone wrote a review of game you like very much and you didn't like the review (of course you liked the game). You write your own review and put it on the site.
[/b]

That is no point. A game that is reviewed once stands as it is. To my opinion the review may be improved, but not replaced. Therefore your first statement is obsolete. I just mentioned it to keep the line of argumentation.

<!--QuoteBegin-Unknown Hero
@ Apr 2 2005, 03:48 AM

2. We can enable adding reviews only for registered users, so if someone wrotes something that has nothing to do with that game - BAN.
[/quote]

Actually only translatrors, etc. can add, change or delete reviews for their specific language. These people are registered users. My thought about this matter is, that if every registered user would be able to review a game, you either have to grant him to do it in every language he wants, which would cause a lot of confusion for all readers, or to have the reviews generally in english, which would cause MUCH work for translators..., as mentioned above. In fact most of these "reviews" will be more or less qualified comments. There is a better possibility to place them into the games discussion threads.

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown Hero+ Apr 2 2005, 03:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Unknown Hero @ Apr 2 2005, 03:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
3. When another guy (let's say from Germany) cames to site and wants to write a review in German, we can let him do it, so that review will replace the other on English site.
[/b]

Same argument as above. Abandonia is an english site. We do not want to have different contents for each language.

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown Hero@ Apr 2 2005, 03:48 AM

4. Who says every game has to have alternative review? So on English site there could be games with 5 reviews and on other with 1.
Nothing to say to that statement. It surely is a general question, as several other sites handle it this way.

Quote:

5. We can also add voting for a review, so higher rated reviews will be in top.
This is a matter of programming workload first. The next question would be if it is worth the benefit considering the statements above.

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown Hero@ Apr 2 2005, 04:13 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-Yobor @ Apr 2 2005
Quote:
@ 03:11 AM

I voted 'No' because I am worried about reviews not counting for as much. If another person writes a review, and is better at writing, then the first Review would be in danger of being obsolete.

And then we can sopstitute the bad review with better one. ok.gif
[/quote]

Here you contradict yourself somehow. You said you would like to see additional reviews, and then agree with Yobor, who is expressing a very different view.

I do not want to blame or hurt any reviewer, as my own reviews are surely not behind criticism. I just tried to express my opinions about this matter. That is the reason why I recommended everyone to read the discussion thread, as this question is somewhat important to my opinion and should not be decided too easily.

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris
Old 02-04-2005, 06:29 AM   #25
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

I never read the other thread on this and haven't really read this one through. But it is deffinently a good idea. It will give a few different detailed opinions about the game, the average votes a game gets doesn't really help with this.

I think it would be best if a game does have more than one review that when someone opens a page about that game there is then a list of links for the different reviews.

Of course no review would be deleted there would just be many reviews for one game right?
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 02-04-2005, 10:09 AM   #26
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

Exactly, i don't understand why you exagerate your views just to make a point.It should be simple as this: 1 review = 1 point of view, limited info
2 reviews = 2 points of view, more info.
And as i said, if you want to make a review for an older game, you also have to make a review for a game waiting one, in this way the site keeps going.
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 02-04-2005, 12:16 PM   #27
Unknown Hero
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobbin+Apr 2 2005, 04:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bobbin @ Apr 2 2005, 04:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> @ Unknown Hero:

Generally I understand what you mean, but I don't think you've got my point. You seem to make a difference between the languages. To say it clearly, Abandonia is an english site. The main language is english and the reviews are also in english. One of the main strenghts of the site is, as I said in the discussion thread, the multi-language-capabilitiy. That means (from a quality oriented perspective) that you get the same contents in each language and not different ones.

I comment your arguments, trying to be not to harsh. Some statements may sound rude, but please forgive me...

Quote:

1. Someone wrote a review of game you like very much and you didn't like the review (of course you liked the game). You write your own review and put it on the site.
That is no point. A game that is reviewed once stands as it is. To my opinion the review may be improved, but not replaced. Therefore your first statement is obsolete. I just mentioned it to keep the line of argumentation.
[/b]

I hate this forum, I hate this forum, I hate this forum....(repeat until fade) - I must be going and board doesn't allow me to send messages in less than 30 seconds. :ranting:

I didn't think about replacing current review, I was talking about alternative review. So the guy will place on site his own review and now on site we will have two reviews. Got it?

Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-Unknown Hero
Quote:
@ Apr 2 2005, 03:48 AM

2. We can enable adding reviews only for registered users, so if someone wrotes something that has nothing to do with that game - BAN.

Actually only translatrors, etc. can add, change or delete reviews for their specific language. These people are registered users. My thought about this matter is, that if every registered user would be able to review a game, you either have to grant him to do it in every language he wants, which would cause a lot of confusion for all readers, or to have the reviews generally in english, which would cause MUCH work for translators..., as mentioned above. In fact most of these "reviews" will be more or less qualified comments. There is a better possibility to place them into the games discussion threads.
[/quote]

I, myself, am translator on Croatian abandonia. *proud* As I already said, we wont translate those reviews, because that's just an opinion of an American (or Englishman). What I would like to read in Croatian abandonia is review in Croatian written by some Croatian dude who has his point of view.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown Hero+ Apr 2 2005, 03:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Unknown Hero @* Apr 2 2005, 03:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
3. When another guy (let's say from Germany) cames to site and wants to write a review in German, we can let him do it, so that review will replace the other on English site.

Same argument as above. Abandonia is an english site. We do not want to have different contents for each language.[/b]

Only for lenaguages that we have on site. We wont allow someone from china to write a review in chinese if we don't have chinese part of site.

Quote:
Quote:

4. Who says every game has to have alternative review? So on English site there could be games with 5 reviews and on other with 1.
Nothing to say to that statement. It surely is a general question, as several other sites handle it this way.
Yes, but the best ones (like gamespot) give people a chance to see many different opinions. Example: I hate a game you like very much....and I wrote review about that game and gave a game 2 (or 1) and said that it's very bad game, that I disliked it.....You complian, but can't do nothing. Now this is your opportunity to change that - this is not a comunism anymore!

Quote:
Quote:

5. We can also add voting for a review, so higher rated reviews will be in top.
This is a matter of programming workload first. The next question would be if it is worth the benefit considering the statements above.
Everything about alternative reviews will be a lot of work, but the thing is that it wont be me who will have to programm all those stuff - I mean if Maikel and Kosta accept this proposal, they will have to do the job (Anubis also offered help if I recall).

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown Hero@ Apr 2 2005, 04:13 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-Yobor @ Apr 2 2005
Quote:
Quote:
@ 03:11 AM

And then we can sopstitute the bad review with better one. ok.gif

Here you contradict yourself somehow. You said you would like to see additional reviews, and then agree with Yobor, who is expressing a very different view.
[/quote]

Yes, but if review really sucks we can delete it permanently. That only goes if review REALLY sucks.

Quote:
I do not want to blame or hurt any reviewer, as my own reviews are surely not behind criticism. I just tried to express my opinions about this matter. That is the reason why I recommended everyone to read the discussion thread, as this question is somewhat important to my opinion and should not be decided too easily.

Ah, I finally answered this post. :Brain:

Gotta go now back to Croatia. See you there! :bye:
Unknown Hero is offline                         Send a private message to Unknown Hero
Old 02-04-2005, 12:35 PM   #28
NrmMyth
Hero Gamer

:ranting: The 30 sec delay pisses me also!
Old 02-04-2005, 01:47 PM   #29
Yobor
Hero Gamer

You can just use fast reply, and anyway the reason is so that people like Spammers can't just spamspamspamspamspam.

I am a little iffy on this subject, since I do not know every person here personally. I guess, if someone were to ask me (assuming I did a review) I would be OK with it. But some people may interperet this as taking away the credit for their hard work.
Yobor is offline                         Send a private message to Yobor
Old 02-04-2005, 02:00 PM   #30
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

The original reviewer shouldnt have a say whether a second review should be placed. A second review would not discredit his work in any way, it's just to give the people who are thinking of downloading the game more information to read through about the game and a second opinion.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Closed Thread