Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 25-04-2006, 12:42 PM   #61
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Quote:
Originally posted by Tulac@Apr 25 2006, 12:25 PM
...and the administrators haven't changed in two years too...
[off topic]Has it really been two years already?! :blink:

Holy smokes, you're right!

Hmm.... 5 days until my 2 year anniversary....
(wonders if he should launch another Mega Update to celebrate)[/off topic]
Old 25-04-2006, 12:45 PM   #62
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Maybe AR is responsible for people leaving because (1) people find it intollerable being associated with such AR jerksnobs (I don't know about this, I've only heard) or (2) because AR gives people another place to go. Well, no, number 2's right out. Of the, what, three people gone I haven't seen anything about them leaving to spend time with Kosta's other child. They're leaving all together. And about #1, I personally know nothing about this, but I have had almost no association with AR on any level yet, so I don't see how that'd be an issue.

So I think we can stop blaming AR.

Mostly, I'll bet it's just time for them to move on. I've been on forums for nearly a decade that I just up and left when life drew me aside. It'll probably happen to me here. Now, maybe those leaving found an excuse, but the manner of them leaving, especaly Seb saying he's deleting all his abandonware off his personal computer, that says to me it's more than just one guy ticking him off. It was time to move on.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 25-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #63
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

He didn't say he deleted all abandonware he had. He said he erased all the games and reviews he was previously going to upload to Abandonia.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-04-2006, 01:35 PM   #64
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I said AR is indirectly involved because the troubles all began with people arguing that some games on Abandonia should be removed to be placed on AR, and the opposite too. I don't know how, but it somehow escalated slowly up to the point the thread and arguments been resurected lately after a whole year of rest.

I personally don't see the link between the two... However, whenever a big problem arised lately, would it be from Anubis, Kon Tiki or Seb, they always mentioned AR in someway and how what happened "mistreated" them. The whole grudge against admins in general also seem to come from that.

To my eyes, it's most than obvious that it's why Kon Tiki left both site. Anubis seemed to have a similar problem, but he(she) overreacted and deserve his(her) ban. As for Sebastianos... He left from his own accord, but I can't think that he just didn't followed those two there...
Old 25-04-2006, 02:30 PM   #65
Wolf Thug
Super Freak

Im a member of both and treat in as one why cant every1 else
Wolf Thug is offline                         Send a private message to Wolf Thug
Old 25-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #66
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by guesst@Apr 25 2006, 12:45 PM
Maybe AR is responsible for people leaving because (1) people find it intollerable being associated with such AR jerksnobs (I don't know about this, I've only heard) or

And about #1, I personally know nothing about this, but I have had almost no association with AR on any level yet, so I don't see how that'd be an issue.
With all due respect, how about not spreading that sort of rumor if you haven't checked AR out yourself :P

I think it's been mentioned that AR is a different kind of atmosphere, but I personally think it's very welcoming over there.

The rest of what you said is fair ... maybe you should check AR out and see for yourself

@EoF: Anubis never went to AR (that I know of). He certainly never interacted on the forum, anyway. Seb visited a couple times, but was never really involved with the community over there, either.

As for Kon-Tiki... what happened with him was a shame, and I'm personally sorry that he left AR the way he did. And, I honestly believe that we all were sorry for it. As a majority, the admins and crew chose not to openly discuss what happened out of respect for him, so that he could work at AB in peace, since members visit both forums.

I do think, though, that most of the above mentioned "rumors" (at least from what I saw on the AB forum) came from the above three people mentioned. Two people who never really got involved with the community, and one person who left with a grudge.

Is AR indirectly responsible for people leaving AB?

Anubis - No, regardless of the fact that it began with a discussion regarding AR, his behavior on AB is responsible for his temporary removal from the AB forum. He never was involved with AR.

Seb - No, he never really interacted on AR, and left because of something that happened here on AB.

Tiki - It's likely that what happened on AR was a contributing factor, but it was in large part his own behavior that led to his eventually leaving there. However, since he left AR over six months ago, and was fine until recently, it seems to me that he should have been able to stay despite his grudge with AR. It seems more likely that events here at AB, such as Seb leaving, were the triggering incidents which made him decide to leave.

Edit: It was brought to my attention that Anubis' ban was temporary. Thanks k:
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 25-04-2006, 08:14 PM   #67
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Ok so after reading a lot of these posts here i see everyone is sorry that they left.
now my question here is: what did the admins and mods do to try and keep them?

I mean imagine Ronaldinho not being pleased in Barca and then Raikaard would say well i am very sorry to hear that you are leaving. It's not like we really need you. there will be others to take your place...

yah i am doing this comparisson because i know that these were not just people that were involved in forum chat, but they did a lot of other BIG stuff for free.

Sure you can have other people doing reviews, you can even rate the reviews and give them point for donwload accordingly, but then you have situation like on Oldgames.nu, where most of reviews suck and also the forum when you ask for some help in a propper way you are lucky if you don't get banned. well if that's what you want to have it's fine by me. but bare in mind that things could go wrong... believe me, i've seen it.

I mena who cares if one only posts a picture showing their emotion in his post. especially in blah blah topic. where the talk/discussion is supposed to be free with minimal moderation. at least that's how i understand it. i also understand that some like to flame. and that topics like that should be closed because they are not benefiting anyone. But problem is if topic "goes" offtopic in OFFTOPIC forum, why close it? it's offtopic (no connection with games) anyway...

Oh well it's not my forum, i am just a visitor here anyway...

Better you ask yourself who would be willing to do so many updates (and quite good reviews) and who will be now willing to do translations for them as well. that's the real question. I understand you are "sorry" and ok a member has left, but where is the replacement? especially since he wasn't just a forum member, but also a team member.

if there is no replacement it can only mean (1) that he was't needed in the first place (others could do just fine without him) or (2) that he actually was very much needed and now team is weaker. Some professionalisation...
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 25-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #68
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

We don't try to keep people here by offering them special deals. If someone is unhappy and wants to leave, then they are free to do so.

And neither Tiki nor Seb were inreplaceable. The site existed before them, and will exist after them.

People work here because they want to, and when they don't want to anymore, they leave. This site is based on voluntary work. Not binding contracts.
Old 25-04-2006, 08:44 PM   #69
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Uhh.. not sure who you're refering to...

Anyway, as an analogy -

if I owned a company, and I had an employee who quit because they were disatisfied with the way things were run, I would just let that person go, especially if their method of dealing with the conflict was disruptive to the team as a whole.

In that case, I definitely wouldn't consider the person a member of my team, because they are counterproductive to what the team is trying to accomplish. I mean, there are definitely instances where things could be "fixed" so the person could stay, but there has to be a really good reason to make exceptions for one individual when everyone else works under the same circumstances, and the majority doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

I think it needs to be repeated that no one forced, or even asked either Tiki or Seb to leave the site. Besides all that, working for this site is voluntary... meaning, you can stop working if you have better things to do, and there's no reason for anyone to raise an eyebrow if someone makes a personal decision to stop working on the site.
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 25-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #70
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Apr 25 2006, 08:33 PM
Neither Tiki nor Seb were inreplaceable. The site existed before them, and will exist after them.
You're not really saying that, are you? I think we have all established so far that Seb was an irreplacable member of this forum. As was Anubis and as was Tiki. The point about the existence is good, but the first of the quoted sentences is rubbish.
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Closed Thread