Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #21
Tulac
Union Leader

Nah games like Fallout and Daggerfall had choices long before Deus Ex.
Tulac is offline                         Send a private message to Tulac
Old 30-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #22
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Choices, that none of which would affect the ending.

Daggerfall had choices? Lulz at you, no it didn't, and Fallout merely had choices based on alignment, Deus Ex had choices that effected SEVERAL facets of the story, it had different endings absolutely different to the other.
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 30-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #23
Tulac
Union Leader

That all existed in games before dude, blade runner per say and many others which I can't think of now. Resident Evil too d'oh.

Last edited by Tulac; 30-01-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 30-01-2008, 09:51 PM   #24
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood-Pigggy View Post
It started the fever of "choices" in gaming Tulac, no matter how long before they had been there, Deus Ex was on the first games to make it obvious that one was capable of making extreme choices in an first person game. Whereas games such as System Shock you merely chose your path, not that it would effect the outcome in anyway, while Deus Ex let you choose what sort of character you wanted, how you would behave, and how your actions would effect the outcome.

It's all there, and it was done very subtly. In my opinion it was the finest game to implement all these features without making it obnoxiously evident that they had done so (see the horribly pretentious Indigo Prophecy).
Not once did I mention that it did it first. I said it was the first game to start the whole developer epidemic about "OMG MY GAM HAS CHOIZCEC". These choices were clear from the beginning as a large influence in your game. And the things that affected the outcome were far more than just some random incidents. Your overall play style and temperament had massive impact. Not only that, but all the games you mentioned did NOT integrate these features subtly. They either made it entirely invisible that there was any important choice evident at all (Blade Runner) or you could hardly give two shits (Resident Evil).

And lastly as I said, in my opinion it did it the BEST of all games so far. Even Fallout botched it in this regard since your alignment had absolutely little to do with the actually outcome of the story, you couldn't even touch the main storyline in any other way than what was intended. It's a great game for its speech and so on, but not exactly the best example of a game that implemented "good and evil".
If anything, Deus Ex was rather morally ambiguous. You were doing your job and trying to figure things out. You never felt really pressured into good or bad, and in that respect, it made you play as the person you were, not some incredible shades of black or white, and in the rare case, gray.

Also don't get me started on how overrated Blade Runner is as a game.
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 30-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #25
Tulac
Union Leader

Well whatever as I said Deus Ex is IMO overrated and I never saw much fun in it. And I did get pretty far in it.
Old 30-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #26
JJXB
Pi-voh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood-Pigggy View Post
(see the horribly pretentious Indigo Prophecy).
that wasn't pretentious. that was damn good. and it's actual title is fahrenheit. any game titled "the indigo prophecy is cut compared to the "fahrenheit" titled version.
.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 31-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #27
Driderman

Oh, seems I did know what the pagefile was after all... I'll have to check that out then, see if it works
Driderman is offline                         Send a private message to Driderman
Old 31-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #28
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJXB View Post
that wasn't pretentious. that was damn good. and it's actual title is fahrenheit. any game titled "the indigo prophecy is cut compared to the "fahrenheit" titled version.
.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }
I'm not saying the game was bad, I was saying it was "horribly pretentious". The ending quarter of the game was absolutely retarded, there is no other word to use, and the game treated you like a child at some points.

And come on, a tutorial that says "push the analog stick slowly, so you feel like you're actually opening the door" yeesh.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:32 AM   #29
079vsa5j2xfar

Legendary game. Oh how I wish Deus Ex 3 would be as good as the original.

Last edited by 079vsa5j2xfar; 01-02-2008 at 03:33 AM.
079vsa5j2xfar is offline                         Send a private message to 079vsa5j2xfar