Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-12-2004, 08:09 AM   #11
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I can't help you much because Conquest of the New World is not Abandonware. I don't have access to the game, so I have nothing to work on to help you.

You said you did not try anything with the sound yet because you can't get pass the setup screen, but allow me to say that sound is often a problem in the setup screen for old DOS games. You should definitly try to run the setup with VDMSound at least once to see if it change anything...
Old 10-01-2005, 06:58 PM   #12
Bobo

I have Dosbox, and have ran conquest of the new world on it.... but you have to have a MIGHTY fast computer, my 1.2 GHz simply doesnt have the power LOL
Estrongblade, your computer will handle it no problems.

Not sure if this topic is still active, stumbled upon it in a search for alternative ways
to play conquest on XP without the use of Dosbox... as my computer is not good enough.

So, if you need a detailed account of how I did it, just ask, I'll check back on this forum.

Sound on the other hand I have not checked, but imo the sound wasnt great in the first place.

I might end up having to install a diff OS on a second hard drive and switch over when ever I want to play Dos games....

anyway, if u need a talk through, just ask

Old 10-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #13
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by estrongblade@Dec 30 2004, 09:29 PM
Also-does anyone know why a Realtek 97 sound system might continually hum when on?Mine has 2 little desktop speakers that plug into a big square box that has a third speaker for Bass. Said box then conects to back of computor. I thought that when the sound system was ON that you should get almost complete silence except when you are actually playing music or other sound related items. Mine HUMS ALL THE TIME. I tried all manner of volume control,both advanced and basic, including experimenting w/muting some and all of the advanced options offered. I havn't been able to find any other tweeks and wondered if anyone has come across this problem w/ any sound system and solved it through tweeks or some accessable area that I am unaware of in XP. No system set up in the sound section of my control panel actually matches the 2 small speakers attached to a box(subwoofer?) and so I am on a basic 2 desktop speaker set-up. I tried the 4 speaker to subwoofer configuation and it did no good-these were the nearest 2 config settings in XP that I have. I suppose that the speaker system could be bad. If you have had that problem w/a hum and solved it by replacing your speaker system then let me know. I am understandably reluctant to replace it until I have made absolutely certain that it is the only way to fix it. I also am aware of the crossing wires thing. I have done my best to keep the speaker wires from crossing other computor wires but there is only so much one can do there-unless someone is aware of some insulation that I don't know about...anyway-as I have had 2 responses from folks that suggested sound solutions, maybe 1 of them had this experience in the past and could tell me how they solved it as an aside to the CNW WALL problem..I Hope. :help:
make sure you mute the "line in" in volume control. that can cause hum
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 11-01-2005, 12:55 PM   #14
tom

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobo@Jan 10 2005, 07:58 PM

So, if you need a detailed account of how I did it, just ask, I'll check back on this forum.

anyway, if u need a talk through, just ask
hey, i will ask

i have a PII 700hz so i think the only possibility is to get it working under xp or install dos (im not a computer newby but this i havent done for years, i dont even have msdos anymore)

i have 2 partititions so i could install dos on one....

but really no idea how to do it....

when starting conquest o. t. n. w. in XP (installing works fine), i get into the game ( all ".. ok") but it hangs when i should see the first graphic ( looks kind of ugly, black with little colour-patches... ) , maybe someone knows how to fix that....

thanks for any help

Old 11-01-2005, 02:09 PM   #15
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I have cnw and I can try to make it work on XP, but that have to wait as tonight my school starts. (will check it tomorrow night)
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 12-01-2005, 01:05 PM   #16
tom

would be real great if someone finds a solution (without using dosbox, for those who have slower cpus)....

Old 12-01-2005, 06:40 PM   #17
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by tom@Jan 12 2005, 09:05 AM
would be real great if someone finds a solution (without using dosbox, for those who have slower cpus)....
What OS are you using? It can be different from the OS to OS. :blink:
Old 13-01-2005, 04:06 AM   #18
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I can't find the CD of this game.
Old 13-01-2005, 02:07 PM   #19

hmmm... using winxp...

you shouldnt lose classics :whistle:

Old 13-01-2005, 02:10 PM   #20
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, most often if I loose a game it's because my brother took it and never return it. That's the reason I had to buy couple of games again (like Warcraft2, Commandos, Longbow Apache...)

Wil check in the EB store next time I wisit them.