Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
ChrisX
Default EOB 3 AESOP error

Hello,

I just installed my old EOB Disks and the first two are running fine with DosBox 0.65, but when I try to launch the third one I get the error:
"AESOP inheritance exceeded"

Can someone please tell me what this is and how to solve this?

Old 28-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

It is the first time that I ever heard of such a thing.

A quick search on the web give me only one result, which suppose that the user have a corrupted copy. I suggest that you try reinstalling the game again since floppies are not known for their incredibly safe storage capacity over time.
Old 28-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
ChrisX

Yes; I found this one result too.
So I did a search to find out what this AESOP could be, there are several entries for Äsop and one for a university network called AESOP.

I installed it from a CD-copy and also tried to install it from my disks (more from my save disks than from the original), they are more or less all corrupted somehow, so I used the first two originals and the other two from two different save disks. At least I always get this error, even with the copies on my CD.

I wonder what "inheritance" means in this error, what inheritance? Did I buy the game to use it for 10 years and the time is out now?

It seems that every other file is ok, the installation itself is ok so far until this error appears when I try to start the game.

I doubt that there is a company left who would change my old disks for new ones... *sigh*

Old 28-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Saccade
[BANNED]

Dude - Inheritance errors are to do with either Cache/Memory or some kind of Scripting / Table look-up (I think)...

That means you need either to free up more of both memories in Dosbox and - if you haven't already tried (which you shoulda!) re-installing the game.
In case it's a borked install and one of the table files is knackered.
I have no idea what you could do if things needed fixing with the runtime... I don't know AESOP_16.

I'll do some more research, as I've never really had this error before.
Ever.

[ed]
http://www.gamedev.net/community/for...opic_id=537018

Is a reference to the this type of error in gaming scripts - though this is openGL, not AESOP_16/32 [J. Miles & Radcliff]. (engine used in old SSI games, such as EOB series and Dungeon Hack)
I have no idea how you'd fix this in AESOP, but there will be someone out there who still knows how to hack it.

You can get a bit of software, a decompiler, called DAESOP that will hack AESOP_16, but I haven't a clue on how to even start doing that...

[ed]
AHA!
It is to do with table lookups - it is a problem with some runtime library & source files, from what I make of this:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=20601
This thread explains more about DAESOP and how to use it to run EoB3.
Especially [using DAESOP and other tools] this bit:
Quote:
Two open source libraries from John Miles page are needed (AIL and VFX). Go to http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/ to download them.

After compiling the project ARUN.EXE is created, rename it to INTERP.EXE - this is the interpreter.
How to use it:
a) Copy EOB 3 files into a directory
b) Convert EYE.RES for the AESOP/32 (using the DAESOP utilitity - see the previous posts and DAESOP README.TXT)
c) Copy files from RUNTIME.ZIP to the same directory (overwrite)
d) Copy the new INTERP.EXE to the same directory (overwrite)
e) Copy MCGA.DLL (from VFX library) and sound DLLs (from AIL library) to the same directory (overwrite)
f) Start DOSBOX
g) Configure the game
h) Run the game
btw - ChrisX... If you can't get this working using the (very hard, fiddly and technical) way above:
Send me a PM about this when your account has been verified.
I may have an easier fix to this problem for you

Last edited by Saccade; 28-10-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade