Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
mistermcbrit
Forum hobbit

Hey, so, I've been browsing this forum without registering for a while and I think this is the only resource for the problem I have.

I am fortunate enough to have a copy of Judgment Rites that has the enhanced sound and voice-overs by the actors, but unfortunate enough not to know how to configure it all that correctly.

So, I installed it via windows, without DOSBox or anything and the installation was successful. I then went to the game directory and right-clicked on the game executable to enable compatibility mode for Windows 95 and EMS and all that jazz, I thought I was right-on, smooth sailing!

Well, when I booted the game, the voice-overs and sound effects worked, but no midi music or beeps when switching choices at a dialog box or the suspense chords when the saucer section of the Alexander is hurtling toward the Enterprise viewscreen. To top it all off, the game would pause intermittently for periods of twenty-thirty seconds and clip off some of the voice-over(s).

I then tried DOSBox at first without D-Fend v2 and then w/D-Fend v2, granted the same results. It appeared to load fine, but then it would say "Could not find . . ." and source it back to my D: (DVD-RW) drive. Now, I have a CD-RW drive on the bottom, I don't know if putting the disc in a different drive helps, haven't tried that.

Is there a way I can copy all of my data to my hard drive so DOSBox can find what it needs? So many people have reported playing this game and enjoying it to it's full potential. I have the voice-overs, I really don't want to do without.

Is there anyway anyone out there can lend me a hand?

Oh, here is a screen shot:

mistermcbrit is offline                         Send a private message to mistermcbrit
Old 13-06-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I will suggest you install the game from within DOSBox, totally ignoring your Win installation.

Have you set up DOSBox correctly to utilize your DVD drive?
Old 13-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #3

QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Jun 13 2007, 06:15 PM) [snapback]294242[/snapback]
Quote:
I will suggest you install the game from within DOSBox, totally ignoring your Win installation.

Have you set up DOSBox correctly to utilize your DVD drive?
[/b]
No, I'm totally unfamiliar with that process.

Old 13-06-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Then I strongly suggest you read the "Beginner's guide to DOSBox" here on AB's forum.

http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index...howtopic=14913
Old 13-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
mistermcbrit
Forum hobbit

QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Jun 13 2007, 02:37 PM) [snapback]294249[/snapback]
Quote:
Then I strongly suggest you read the "Beginner's guide to DOSBox" here on AB's forum.

http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index...howtopic=14913
[/b]
Thanks for the guide link, unfortunately, none of that information was new to me.

I already am well-aware enough to navigate through DOSBox, I just have a configuration problem that I need resolved.

mistermcbrit is offline                         Send a private message to mistermcbrit
Old 13-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
mistermcbrit
Forum hobbit

I really think it's a matter of me getting this information off the CD, onto the hard drive and having DOSBox read it, install it, configure it and run it.

Right now, I'm running with the full voice overs, but no sound/music.

There has to be a solution.
Old 14-06-2007, 10:02 AM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

1. Stop using D-Fend. It's known to cause problems. If you really need a frontend, I'd advise DBGL as both more compatibile and configurable.
2. You need to MOUNT your CD or DVD drive to use it, almost the same like you do with a hard drive. http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.p...s%2FMount#CDROM
3. Install the game through DOSBox.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
mistermcbrit
Forum hobbit

Okay! No longer using anything other than DOSBox.

Now, I've already tried installing ST:JR through DOSBox and I can't really find a means of surpassing it. I've read through mostly everything I could find, but, I don't see a presented solution. When running the install for this game, it gives you this:

Normally, on the side bar where it says "Z:" (virtual DOSBox drive) and "D:", I have the option of C: and F:, my two hard-drives. Now, I don't have either choice, and no way to install.

Has anyone had as much difficulty with this game as I have?

It's just so weird that it runs under the Windows XP element, but, just slowly and choppily (pauses, et. all) but with no music or sound, just voices.

STRANGE!

Well, any more advice or solutions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 14-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You mounted your CD-Rom drive without mounting a hard drive.
You might want to automate your drive mounting by using the [Autoexec] portion of Dosbox.conf --> see here on how to do that.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
mistermcbrit
Forum hobbit

Yes, yes, YES! :brain:

Everything works as it should, all sound, music, voices, EVERYTHING!

HOWEVER! Annimation and sound are kind of choppy.

Any remedies?