Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-08-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
verek_22
Licenced misery wizard

Default Rise of the Triad Remake Trailer

A company called Interceptor Entertainment are developing a remake of Rise of the Triad, an FPS published by Apogee in 1995. A trailer of this remake was shown at QuakeCon.

Here's a video of the original Rise of the Triad, if you want to compare them.

Rise of the Triad was one of my favourite games back in the mid-90s. My family didn't really have the money for top-end computers, so I spent a lot of time playing RoTT while everybody else was playing Quake. So hearing about a remake is pretty darn exciting to me. I really hope it turns out well.

Below are a list of promised features, stolen from an article over at Rock Paper Shotgun:

Quote:
– Step into the shoes of the H.U.N.T. (High-Risk United Nations Taskforce) with five unique characters, each with different play styles.
- Blast through over 20 of levels of explosive single-player action.
- Unique multiplayer maps bring back all the fun and excitement of classic ROTT.
- The full arsenal of over-the top weapons is back, including the Flamewall, Firebomb, Split Missile, Drunk Missile and, of course, the Excalibat!
- The maniacal modes return, too, with God mode, Elasto mode, Mercury mode, Shrooms mode and everyone’s favorite, Dog mode!
- Build your own levels, mods and share them with Valve’s Steamworks.
- Offline single-player and multiplayer allows for instant action.
- Find tons of secrets, collectables, special events and hidden areas to explore.
- Get more than 100 achievements to add to your score, which is tracked on our worldwide leaderboard and stat-tracking system.
- ROTT is bloodier and more ludicrous than ever, with full character and enemy dismemberment.
- The iconic original soundtrack has been completely re-forged in the fires of heavy metal!
- Nostalgia abounds with the option to play with all the original sounds and music.
- Built on fully-licensed Unreal Engine 3 technology, ROTT will run on low-end PCs and push high-end PCs to their limits!
Here's a link to the trailer.

And a link to the RPS article for more information.

DOG MODE.
verek_22 is offline                         Send a private message to verek_22
Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Zaru
Abandonia nerd

Thanks for sharing these great news!
The remake looks very promising, although some wall textures could be made more similar to the ones we all remember from original ROTT. And of course it needs more open space! The action that take place in the trailer looks like it's set in a very claustrophobic environment.
The music is great! Revamped "In the thick of it", I believe?
Zaru is offline                         Send a private message to Zaru
Old 04-08-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Looked very good, I saw a few rather large open areas in there as well. RotT was a over looked classic to me, they pushed the Wolfenstein engine to its limits and made a very fun over the top shooter. How that will fair in today's market I don't know, a lot of current gamers didn't play games back then and just might not get the idea. Other gamers who did play it back then might think that the style of game is no longer any good or was never any good.

It would be nice if with that remake that include the original game, to let people try it out and for older gamers to let the nostalgia flow back in.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 04-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

I joked at the chatbox that you never know what surprises they might have in Quakecon and that they might even announce a new Commander Keen game. I'd say this comes very close to that.

Very interested to see how it turns out. Honestly though the trailer seems bit lacking.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 04-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

So the secret project was really a ROTT remake - there has been some buzz about it recently in Duke Nukem fan forums, but mostly the people there are still disappointed about Interceptor Entertainment because of the Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded letdown. Some speculated it could have been a Shadow Warrior remake.

Personally I'm a fan of Rise of the Triad, and the project is welcome to me I also respect Joe Siegler for his efforts to preserve Apogee/3D Realms' legacy, as well as his role in the original ROTT (and the Red Dwarf references, I love Red Dwarf as you might have guessed ).

Also, nice Fat Pony avatar! I'm a fan of Kate Beaton too

[Edit] Gameplay videos:

And here are some screenshots, renders and concept art:
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2012/0...-de-retour.htm

Last edited by MrFlibble; 04-08-2012 at 07:11 PM.
MrFlibble is offline                         Send a private message to MrFlibble
Old 06-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
Zaru
Abandonia nerd

I remember from the original game, that Excalibat was an ordinary baseball bat spitting several explosive baseball balls at a time. In the remake. it has a weird blinking eye(!) embedded in it and shoots a single fireball. I don't intend to cavil, but I'm not sure if it was a good decision to make by the developers. I, for example, absolutely hate it.
Zaru is offline                         Send a private message to Zaru
Old 07-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Looks quite good in the first trailer, pretty much similar to the original game which I loved. But trailers almost always look better than the actual product. Gameplay videos seem to either show only one and the same level, or some very similar levels, since the textures are pretty much the same. Also since it's multiplay there're no computer enemies to look at. I hope there's much more variety in the final game than that, but it might become a great comeback.
Also I agree with Zaru about the Excalibat. It was more spectacular in the original, speak - more worth it to find it. Throwing a single fireball is simply boring and a bazooka can probably do that better anyway.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

So there's going to be an editor for it. I'm sure diehard RoTT fans will just patch it up for their liking. It looks 90% done, the rest can be fixed.

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 09-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Here's the cover of Goin' Down the Fast Way:
Old 09-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #10
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 View Post
Looked very good, I saw a few rather large open areas in there as well. RotT was a over looked classic to me, they pushed the Wolfenstein engine to its limits and made a very fun over the top shooter. How that will fair in today's market I don't know, a lot of current gamers didn't play games back then and just might not get the idea. Other gamers who did play it back then might think that the style of game is no longer any good or was never any good.

It would be nice if with that remake that include the original game, to let people try it out and for older gamers to let the nostalgia flow back in.
*cough* Not Wolf engine. ROTT is built on the first version of the Build engine.