Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-08-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
strangelove
Abandonia nerd

Anyone know any good tools for making a RPG? I'm not a big fan of SNES type RPGs and RPG Maker didn't appeal. I'd like to find something that lets you write simple text only games or maybe something with occasional graphics. I'm checking out Unlimited Adventures for the site at the moment but would like to find something that allows a bit more editing of the character types. The ability to interface with C++ or VB6 would be an advantage. Anyone got any suggestions?

Edit: Rather than coding from scratch it would be nice to find something that would allow you to visually map an area to save time, and perhaps to allow placement of objects and enemies.
strangelove is offline                         Send a private message to strangelove
Old 25-08-2005, 02:37 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

InForm might be a good idea. I saw a few (only a few) things that can be done with it, and it seems fairly powerful.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-08-2005, 02:46 PM   #3
strangelove
Abandonia nerd

Thanks, Inform is a nice system - more so for adventures though. At the moment I'm messing around with Adrift which now has support for simplistic battles but the main focus is on Adventures / IF. I'd recommend it to anyone especially if they are more interested in IF as it's a very simple but powerful system and version 3.9 is completely free (the latest version with proper battle system is only ?11).
strangelove is offline                         Send a private message to strangelove
Old 27-08-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Try the "Unlimited Adventures" from SSI. You can make lots of AD&D GoldBox-type of games with that.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 27-08-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

IF is for exactly that. I suppose though, with stuff like arrays it would not be impossible to make an RPG, if a basic one.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 29-08-2005, 11:03 AM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

IF Quake was coded with Inform & it supports battles.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-08-2005, 09:18 AM   #7
WolverineDK
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by TheChosen@Aug 27 2005, 08:43 AM
Try the "Unlimited Adventures" from SSI. You can make lots of AD&D GoldBox-type of games with that.
http://uaf.sourceforge.net/

could be a free alternative to FRUA/UA, since FRUA/UA is still ESA protected, even though, you can find it on a polish abandonware site.
WolverineDK is offline                         Send a private message to WolverineDK