Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-12-2005, 03:33 AM   #331
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Quote:
I've recently downloaded this game, it's alright. No match for the original, however, but there is one thing that really sticks out to me; The Molecular Control chips. In the Alien Base missions, they can take over any one of your guys, even though it should be technically possible to find and remove any/and or all chips implanted in the brain (This is 2040, for gods sake). So how can they control your guys when they don't have any chips?
And secondly. What happened to the old X-com guys? They are probably old, tired, and mostly out of business eating rice-pattys in an old age home, but wouldn't some of the scientists from 41 years in the past come forward and say "Hey! I still have a large stockpile of Elerium! And the plans for the Avenger, now we can modify it to go underwater, but still!" and have some really good technology from the start other than the stuff that manages to get 18% hit rate regardless?
This is just curiosity, but, It has puzzled me for the last week. bye1.gif
My first aproach to x-com was download and play TFTD and i liked it too much. It was a good, defiant and well done game. But by the time i downloaded UFO-Enemy Unk and i get the big rob that was TFTD.... what in the hell they had done??? Nothing, they just changed the whole game to leave us the same game. Each alien, each weapon, each craft, mission, everything of UFO itīs his underwater version in TFTD. They didnīt solve the mistakes of UFO like the fact the u donīt get pints from shotingdown the enemy craft. Or any modification like normal force to help x-com when the gov finances u or aginst u when the alien packs. New crafts or a new research tree. The best of both games is in the first x-com that u play its the first mission, the surprice of didnīt know what are u fighthing against or how fight it.... when the denvelopers remaines the game like fisrt, they didnīt added nothing but they leave it without the emotion of the discovering of the game :ranting:
Old 16-12-2005, 10:56 AM   #332
Acolyte

Well there are some changes.
New items (VIBRO BLADE).
New aliens (Lobsterman).
Weapons that only work underwater (OK there just modified old weapons).
Some aliens needed for making reasearch.

Any tips how to defeat a lobsterman?
In an island terror mision ive tried to blast one...
here are my arguments
9 gauss shots
2 sonic pulser's
1 magnablast (yep i was desperate)

After all that he fell and i seant two guys to take wathever he had and the presumably dead alien for reasaearch BUT at mission status i noticed that he was still alive (squad leader).

Is there any faster way of knocking them out.

Old 16-12-2005, 02:25 PM   #333
*Happy*

@Acolyte:
To kill Lobstermen use close combat weapons (vibro blade, thermic lance, even thermal tazer if desperate), sonic cannons (rifles can be used, but they need several shots) or stun them with thermal shock launchers. Molecular control also works very well on them. Don't use ANY explosive weapons - they're practically invulnerable to them), gauss weapons (it takes about 15 rifle shots to kill one) or gas cannons (tried, but never managed to kill one with it).

@Laicofar:
Mostly, I agree with you, but as Acolyte pointed out there are some differences. I think X-com 2 is more like an expansion pack than a sequel. However, one very important difference is that it plays quite different. For example, X-com 1 can easily be finished only with lasers, but in X-com 2 there's no way you're going to win only with Gauss. I must say I rather like the feeling that the aliens are really superior (especially when I met a Lobsterman the first time) and the much more sinister atmosphere of X-com 2.

P.S. you DO get points for shooting down or destroying alien craft.

Old 18-12-2005, 06:46 PM   #334
dondaggi
Thumbs up

:w00t: I totally get crazy because the Researchsystem is *dirty word* me off because i cant develop Alienships!!!! I read on an Rushian WEbsite that there is a Bug in the game and so you cant finish Research. I have a old gamestar cd with a Patch but it doesnt work. So XCOM TFTD is from the story a way better then UFO and hopefully on one Day i will finish the Game

If you have some Tipps for me how to Finish all the Researchor if you want a version from the Update just Email me dondaggi@yahoo.de

Old 18-12-2005, 09:39 PM   #335
laiocfar
NOD Commander

The famous research bug, is that sometimes the reviewer not tried to interrogue a commander!!! There itīs also another problem, some times the wanted research item just didnīt appears, so zorbite, aquaplastic, the alien city, MC, armor level 2 can fail to be loaded on the game . Maybe there are more research items that fail.

About, Xcom I vs Xcom II...
I found that in the second one the smoke grenade doesnt works as well than in Xcom I. The terror aliens works better in Xcom II... in Xcom I, many of them just didnīt make real damage to troopers, in Xcom II they are really dangerous at point that sometimes my soldiers carry grenades set to 0 in the bag, so if they get killed by a close combat, it will blow everything. The problem is when a wounded soldiers get stunned. Also i found that in Xcom II there is a bigger chance to capture aliens.

Let me see about the alienīs spices...

aquatoid - sectoid
floater - ?
? - gillmen
snakeman - tadosh
lobesterman - muton
tentacult - the guy like a crab
alucinoide - reaper
telebrain - ciberdisk
the dino with rockets - the robot with rockets
Calamarx - ?
? - etheral
calcinate - the fliying stomach type A
arunoide - the fliying stomach type B

i sure that near 90% of names are bad but....
Old 19-12-2005, 05:49 AM   #336
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by dondaggi@Dec 18 2005, 07:46 PM
:w00t: I totally get crazy because the Researchsystem is *dirty word* me off because i cant develop Alienships!!!! I read on an Rushian WEbsite that there is a Bug in the game and so you cant finish Research. I have a old gamestar cd with a Patch but it doesnt work. So XCOM TFTD is from the story a way better then UFO and hopefully on one Day i will finish the Game * *

If you have some Tipps for me how to Finish all the Researchor if you want a version from the Update just Email me dondaggi@yahoo.de
so if i understand correctly, you researched everything there is to research? All aliens?? and all their artefacts? you also captured and researched live aliens of all ranks? (technician, soldier, commander...) you also researched some alien (live) life forms twice ?
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 19-12-2005, 07:09 PM   #337
*Happy*

For which aliens are equivalent, look at their stats. Personally I think:

Aquatoid - Sectoid
Gillman - somewhere between Floater and Snakeman in strength
Lobsterman - Muton, but much tougher
Tasoth - Ethereal, but tougher and psychically weaker

Tentaculat - Cryssalid, but can fly
Calcinite - Reaper, but smaller
Deep One - Celatid, but weaker
Xarquid - Celatid, but stronger and bigger
Triscene - Sectopod
Hallucinoid - Reaper, but can shoot
Bio-Drone - Cyberdisc, but is smaller leaves a trail of fire like a Silicoid

As you can see the Silicoids, Floaters and Snakemen have no real equivalents and there are only four major races (x-com 1 had five)

Old 21-12-2005, 01:39 PM   #338
Acolyte

I must say that some aliens look (Floating brain witch turns your men into green goblins?) quite erratic.
Oh and btw some aliens seem to be inspired on Lovecraft books.

Old 22-12-2005, 11:52 PM   #339
Madow Nishura

Is it possible for you guys to upload a Windows version of TFTD?
Madow Nishura is offline                         Send a private message to Madow Nishura
Old 23-12-2005, 11:17 AM   #340
sewen

If you wish for widows version you may go here. But I personally prefer DOS version in emulator, because it have much better sounds. Under windows, you will do the best if you mute them. They aren't good.
sewen is offline                         Send a private message to sewen