Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Arrow Baldur's Gate with Ranger/Cleric

I never played this game dualclassed for probably obvious reasons, and not played cleric for less obvious reasons. Maybe this time.

Again I play solo from BG1 to ToB.

I started a ranger, and later I want to dual to cleric. No idea when, please help to decide. I checked the exp-charts, and until level 11 of ranger it seems I only loose one level of cleric, but as cleric lvl 40 requires 8,000,000 exp, one cleric lvl is the price for dualclassing anyway, so I can finish BG1-ToSC with being a ranger *crosses fingers*

As I hate gathering money, I gave myself at the very start a wooping 1,000,000 coins. Not spent too much after an early visit at High Hedge. Not that I used Claw of Kazgaroth at all, or the full plate mail for long (I changed it at the first visit in Nashkel to Ankegh Plate), but still.

This time I had no problem starting the game (assassin at Friendly Arm Inn is a pain), though I used my potion of clear thoughts to avoid some mindaltering spell here.

I used a speed potion in Beregost against Silke to prevent her castings.

Otherwise I rarely needed anything (= healing potions, antidote potions) then my trusty weapons. I started with axes (best weapon is in that class for BG1, and in BG2 I'll have to relocate anyway), but it'd have been better to start with one of the sword classes. Curently I hold a longsword +2. I cut through myself gnolls and thee like pretty easily, although I try to avoid ghouls (I see special attacks are the weak spot of this char).
I only used bow once against the Bear on the Bridge.

I've not long ago came out from the Nashkel Mines, just cutted the loose ends from before that. Hope I can report my progress here later. Until that, feel free to give me advices.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Should I even ask why not half-elf ranger/cleric?
Old 02-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
As I hate gathering money, I gave myself at the very start a wooping 1,000,000 coins. Not spent too much after an early visit at High Hedge. Not that I used Claw of Kazgaroth at all, or the full plate mail for long

That just has challenge written all over it. <.< And you're still asking for help despite taking the liberty of cheating at the very beginning?

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 02-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
Sarin
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunvagy View Post
Should I even ask why not half-elf ranger/cleric?
If my memory serves me right, ranger/cleric is not available multiclass. And dualclassing is only open for humans.

Difference between multiclassing and dualclassing is that multiclass begins as lvl 1 in both classes and progress simultaneously in both. Dualclass is when you start as one class, then you terminate progress in that class and start taking levels in another.
Sarin is offline                         Send a private message to Sarin
Old 02-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

The only benefits you get for taking 11 instead of 9 ranger levels are a little stealth bonus and 2 hitpoints once you've reached cleric level 39, before this point you'll be inferior.

Another option for dualclassing is level 13, at the XP cap the ranger13/cleric36 will have only 6 instead of 7 level 7 spells per day and 4 hitpoints less than a ranger11/cleric39 but have 2.5 instead of 2 attacks per round.
kmonster is offline                         Send a private message to kmonster
Old 03-05-2012, 04:02 AM   #6
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

@kamonster
ty for the analysis.

@Sarin
Ranger/cleric (and ranger/druid) IS a valid multiclass, else it would not be valid dualclass either.

@Tomek
Adding gold isn't really cheating. With one character you'd have plenty of gold early anyway, but itemselling trips are a BIIIG timewaster.
As you would gain the gold anyway, and you could replace it by doing some "stupid shortcut technic" (= running in highlevel areas just for a treasure chest then running out), I found this acceptable. Please don't argue about it.

And just for your sake I tell you I'll do the "hey, Minsc can have it too!" bypass too.

@hunvagy
I think ranger offers only very little adventages, and as requires hugh amount of exp to progress in it, it'd just slow me down (especially on the turn undead side).

Otherwise: I never dualclassed before, and this is the only chance I'll ever do the cleric stronghold.

Progress: I'm heading towards the Cloakwood Forest. In the bandit camp the boss outside the tent was too hard for melee, had to shoot arrows. Arrows also helped against the group of red mages in some area.
Sirens if you have only 1 character near them, are still a joke, as unlike in BG2 being charmed doesn't mean instadeath (got the Constitution-book).
Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #7
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarin View Post
If my memory serves me right, ranger/cleric is not available multiclass. And dualclassing is only open for humans.

Difference between multiclassing and dualclassing is that multiclass begins as lvl 1 in both classes and progress simultaneously in both. Dualclass is when you start as one class, then you terminate progress in that class and start taking levels in another.
It is. For half-elves. Anyway back on topic, if memory servers clerics still have to obey their ethos, so even if you dual class and retain your ranger abilities, you won't be able to use any slashing weapon at all. Unless they have a backdoor like in 3e, where one of the gods favors swords/axes. Also to note that you might want to consider your alignment up front, since the one step rule applies in ADnD too. And try not to become a fallen ranger

That reminds me.. how come you have trouble with mind affecting spells? You should have pretty neat saves agains mind affecting, if you're buffing wisdom for the cleric.

Edit2: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/75251...-gate/49607384 Read this one on the ranger/cleric xD Seems Bioware was fond of interesting bugs from the get go.

Last edited by hunvagy; 03-05-2012 at 06:05 AM.
hunvagy is offline                         Send a private message to hunvagy
Old 03-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

It's a good thing you can reselect your weapon proficiencies at the start of BG2, weapon proficiencies clerics can't use are lost when dualclassing.

Pick other weapon proficiencies during the dualing period than before, 2+1=2 in this case.

Full plate is better than Ankheg Plate unless you've carrying capacity trouble, it's considered non-magical and grants 3-4 additional AC bonus versus everything except crushing.
kmonster is offline                         Send a private message to kmonster
Old 03-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

There is a "backdoor" on weapon prophiciencies. When you transport your game from BG1 to BG2, you'll have all your points unspent because of the big changes between the two games (like two weapon style, single weapon style etc.). Similar thing to the racial enemy.

S'seldog has currently (after CON Tome) these stats: 18(48)/18/19/11/18/9. Sadly mind-altering spells are overpowered (that's why they got a hugh nerf for BG2).

About fullplate-mail: in the game it equalls with the Ankegh plate in AC, only it is nonmagical. But I almost never wear of Protection jewelry. Anyway, my favourite armor from BG1 is the Plate Mail +3.

I've reached the Cloakwood mines, where against the assassination attempt I required the use of a Potion of Heroism.
Interrestingly on the second level of this mine, at the stairs to the third level, the large group's mage shot a lightning what killed basically everyone in that room
On the final level I removed my armor, hided amongst the shadows, and shoot some arrows from the sidepassage to start the battle with the mage, and avoid the Battle Horrors. In addition I used up the Potion of Stone Form I had to avoid spells like Hold Person. And that's where I am now, being level 7.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #10
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

So your cleric will use weapons that are against cleric ethos by letting the game cheat for you? Right, nothing to do here then, carry on with your non-cheating playthrough.