Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #21
Danny252
I have a custom title!

21st April? Tad late to send that, methinks
Old 05-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #22
Pellaeon
Abandonia nerd

Hmh, looks like the voting is postponed, it will be tomorrow. All pray that the voting fails! We don't want AB to fall because of a voting...
Violets are #0000FF
I am coming
To kill you.

"Concentration, focus, long-term thinking--those are the qualities that seperate a warrior from a mere flailing fighter." Grand Admiral Thrawn
Pellaeon is offline                         Send a private message to Pellaeon
Old 05-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #23
Danny252
I have a custom title!

Eh, to be fair and to stick with my classic attitude of "we're all gonna die because of some catastrophe, we've probably messed up the world and god knows what else, so get over it and get on with life already", even if it does pass, does it actually entail anything actually happening? Or is it just saying "yeah, you can restrict web access" - which almost any institution with internet available for the public does anyway, and I'm pretty sure governments could make happen too with a bit of arm twisting.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #24
Xhumed
[BANNED]

Well, I got a surprisingly quick response from one of the MEP's that I contacted today and the frightening thing is he doesn't seem to understand what it's all about but, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised as so many politicians are out of touch and think the internet is the work of the devil and because of their ignorance they are easily led by other politicians who often seem to have agendas of their own.

If your in France the French government is really pushing hard to bring in three strikes and your out legislation, that means you get three warnings if you are suspected of d/loading copyrighted material after that you will be banned by your ISP and supposedly all other ISP's from accessing the net, that is what they are trying to do.
There was a podcast about it today and you can hear it here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/digitalp/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the reply I got from one of the MEP's.

Dear Michael,

Thank you very much for your email raising concerns about the Telecoms Package. I entirely agree with you that internet users should be able to freely use the Internet and benefit from its immense potential. We should all be able to decide which service we wish to subscribe to, in line with our own preferences with respect to the type of service and content we want to access.

Unfortunately I fear that you have been misled with respect to the proposed changes to the EU communications framework laws. The reforms are intended to open up choice and competition, not restrict it.

Existing National laws across the EU already allow operators to provide differentiated services, accommodating the diverse needs and desires of consumers across the market place.

The purpose of this review is to increase consumer protection, by strengthening operators' obligations to be transparent and provide information on contract conditions, including any limitations or restrictions which may apply to the services in question. In order for competition to operate effectively in the consumer interest, consumers need to be fully informed of the terms on which the services they contract for are provided, and they should also be free to switch providers easily and at no additional cost.

In addition, we are also increasing the enforcement powers of national regulators, enabling them to take action against operators who are in breach of regulatory obligations, and empowering them to impose minimum quality of service requirements on all operators.

These quality obligations would ensure that operators are not able to degrade, throttle or block applications, content or services in ways which are anticompetitive.

The current Framework has worked very well in driving the development of Internet services, and promoting fierce competition and high levels of innovation, to the benefit of all European citizens and European competitiveness. The major improvements we are making to the rules will provide incentives for investment in new broadband and wireless services.

Conservative MEPs in the European Parliament are committed to strong and active internet users in an open and competitive market. We will continue to work, in this and other initiatives, to ensure that your rights to access a wide range of content and services over the Internet continue to be safeguarded.

Yours sincerely,

Neil Parish MEP
Xhumed is offline                         Send a private message to Xhumed
Old 06-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #25
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

wow you have good MEPs, ours didn't care to write back
Old 06-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #26
Xhumed
[BANNED]

I also got a reply from another of the MEP's I contacted this reply is a bit more encouraging as he does seem to know what he's talking about, but there is another round of voting to go yet, I have also signed up to his weekly newsletter so hopefully he can keep me up to date on what is happening with this issue.
I have only received replies from two of the MEP's I wrote to the other six have not replied yet

Here's the latest reply from "Graham Watson MEP
Member of the European Parliament for South West England and Gibraltar and Leader of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe in the European Parliament"...... GOD DON'T THEY LIKE THEIR TITLES!

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your recent email regarding the 'telecoms package'.

At the end of last month the Industry and Energy Committee voted in favour of the common regulatory framework for electronic communications networks and service. The package contains four reports on the reform of the regulatory framework for electronic communications- including mobile and fixed telephones, broadcasting and the internet. This includes a report concerning internet use which has proved controversial and to which you refer.

I am pleased to inform you that the committee voted to ensure that no restrictions were imposed on the fundamental rights and freedoms of internet users, without a prior ruling by the judicial authorities.

More broadly the package will also enhance competition and ensure that all market players have sufficient incentives to invest in infrastructure and services for consumers.
This report will now go forward to the Council of Ministers for their decision. While the European Parliament has voted to protect the rights of internet users, there is a risk that the amendments will get voted down by the Council.

France has been championing the three-strikes legislations and is likely to block these developments. I am aware that the UK along with France is pushing strongly to change the wording agreed by the Parliament. This action will delay the progress of the report and put at risk the many important aspects in this package which will increase competition and boost jobs. I therefore urge you to raise your concerns with the UK Government and ask them to support the article which ensures that an internet cut-off can only be imposed after approval from a competent legal authority.

The internet plays an important role within society, both socially and economically. It provides a space for communication, to access information, for technological development and for economic activity.
I hope that this provides you with clarification. Thank you for contacting me on this matter and if I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

In view of your interest in how I might be able to help you, it occurs to me that you might like to receive my weekly email newsletter providing news and my views on EU developments. If so, please let me know and I will add your email address to my distribution list.

Yours sincerely,
Graham Watson MEP
Member of the European Parliament for South West England and Gibraltar and Leader of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe in the European Parliament
Xhumed is offline                         Send a private message to Xhumed
Old 06-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #27
Morrin
Underground

Forgot: there still one more thing good about internet: ordering overseas! Where would we be with gamecollecting without ebay? And all those knives I've ordered from states!

I guess I try to stick up with internet for now.
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin
Old 06-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #28
Pellaeon
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrin View Post
there still one more thing good about internet: ordering overseas! Where would we be with gamecollecting without ebay? And all those knives I've ordered from states!
Good Lord. How much did the shipment cost?
Violets are #0000FF
I am coming
To kill you.

"Concentration, focus, long-term thinking--those are the qualities that seperate a warrior from a mere flailing fighter." Grand Admiral Thrawn
Pellaeon is offline                         Send a private message to Pellaeon
Old 08-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #29
Morrin
Underground

Shipment costs vary with seller and size of order. Last time I ordered a pocket knife, delivery costs were around 12 dollars or so. I think old boxed games may cost around 15 to 20 dollars to deliver. Not so bad at all.
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin
Old 25-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #30
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

seems we've won