Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #1
Romano
Ye Olde Anarchist

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 25-01-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Romano is offline                         Send a private message to Romano
Old 11-03-2007, 06:20 AM   #2
red_avatar
Administrator

Looks pretty fun - never played that game before so I'll have a go later. Nice to see so many extras too.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 16-03-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
Rorschach
Forum hobbit

Beats Dune 2 to the title of father of the RTS genre? I'll just have to check this one out!

On a technical note, RevEdit's requirements include a mind capable of thinking, how do I go about getting myself one? (seriously, though, good one!) :P
Rorschach is offline                         Send a private message to Rorschach
Old 16-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Guest_god_*

hi if the first picture in the game reveiw is a combat sequence then it is NOT a rts game and if you dont know why dont go reveiwing games anymore

Old 17-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
Rorschach
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest_god_* @ Mar 16 2007, 07:36 PM) [snapback]283903[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
hi if the first picture in the game reveiw is a combat sequence then it is NOT a rts game and if you dont know why dont go reveiwing games anymore
[/b]
I didn't try it yet, but it looks like that first picture is exactly what's described on the 3rd paragraph of the review:

"The gameplay isn't quite what you may have gotten used to with any of the modern RTS games - in fact, you have barely any control over specific actions of your mechs. You can order them where to move, what to attack and modes of these actions (eg you can order the unit to fire at will, only in self-defense or not attack at all), but majority is left to the pilots' AI. Surprisingly, this solution is pretty effective. The game pauses when you click on the unit to give it commands, so you can take time planning your moves as you see fit."

If that's it, then that picture is simply the order unit menu with the game on auto-pause, which he clearly stated isn't the typical interface for RTS games -- which makes sense, since it's before the genre itself was established. As a side note, I believe this difference in command interface is what might warrant the title of "father of RTS" to Dune 2 -- but I haven't tried this one yet to assert that. :P
Rorschach is offline                         Send a private message to Rorschach
Old 19-03-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You are correct, Rorschach.

Quote:
hi if the first picture in the game reveiw is a combat sequence then it is NOT a rts game and if you dont know why dont go reveiwing games anymore[/b]
I know what is the difference between turn-based and real-time strategy games. If you don't believe what I wrote about the game, play it and see for yourself.

PS. Anyone interested can read a little inside scoop on this game's development on Tony Van's website. Check what other games he worked on, BTW - you may be surprised!

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 19-03-2007, 10:56 PM   #7
Knyght
Lurker

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rorschach @ Mar 16 2007, 04:58 PM) [snapback]283879[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Beats Dune 2 to the title of father of the RTS genre?[/b]
Nope, there's plenty from before that.

Also, this is a great game. Some say not as good as the first game (Cresent Hawks Inception), but you can't really compare them since they're different genres. This is also the first PC game I played. Hmm, memories.
Knyght is offline                         Send a private message to Knyght
Old 23-03-2007, 07:52 AM   #8
Zwischy

Another feature that makes this game stand the test of time is its speed factoring. you can use keyboard numbers 1-8 to speed up or slow down how quickly time passes, if you want to 'fast forward' through a slow portion of a mission - waiting for your units to move to their assigned locations for example. you don't get to use it TOO often, because the bad guys also move at hyperspeed when you set speed to 8. The real beauty of this is, even with the newest systems, the speed isn't exaggereated like with, say, the original Mechwarrior game. It's truly a percentage of your system's speed.
Zwischy is offline                         Send a private message to Zwischy
Old 02-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #9

I couldnt get this to run in xp... anyone can tell me the best way to install it???

matt

Old 02-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #10
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

best way- have dos as operation system
an alternative.. download dosbox from programs section on this site and follow easy instructions