Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-12-2004, 06:45 PM   #1
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Please discuss this game here.

Review and Download (if available)
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15

Last edited by Luchsen; 23-01-2008 at 02:34 PM.
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 13-12-2004, 08:36 PM   #2
Hyosho

Ah, I remember this one... the best bit was the pictures (usually of 40s cheescake pinup girls) that you could use to customise the nose of your bird.

The other great thing was the ability to switch instantly between the ten crew members, from pilot and co-pilot to navigator, radio operator, bomber, side, rear, and ball gunners. You could let them do their own thing, but it was far more fun to try and master all the stations...

Old 14-12-2004, 05:04 PM   #3
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yeah....
Several of my friends were amaized when first saw it.
Unfortunally, I never get into this one.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 06-04-2005, 01:11 PM   #4
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

I still have that one, with the original box etc. Great game. I also had the Atari ST version, great fun!

I loved how you could spend hours! flying to your target and then fight a few intense min. Then after the bombing you had to fly back to england! Great, especialy if you were heavily damaged and lost the group, freaking great game!

I got the "new" one a couple of years ago in a compilation but refuse to install it since I do not have a joystick anymore and keep forgeting getting one.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 06-04-2005, 05:22 PM   #5
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

This topic is missing game-link on the first post.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 09-05-2005, 06:34 AM   #6
MrCup
Lurker

I too still have my original box for this one. It was AMAZING for its day. I has the full working cockpit instrumentation for the B17, it takes up 4? i think screens. Oil preasures and temps for all 4 engines everything. Giving you crew first aid to get them back on the guns or swaping their stations around if they get badly wounded. And yet it's not that complex to play.

If you can't take off just go to the pilot station start the 4 engines (numbers 1,2,3,4 from memory) and then switch to another another station and the AI will taxi out and take off. You can let it fly to the target and home too if you want. With easy langings turned on you can nose dive in to the field and it counts as a good landing.

If you crash over occupied land there is a 50/50 chance of being caught by the germans (and ending the game) so if your going down try to get to water as ditching in the sea will get you picked up by a friendly ship every time. Even one of the blue lines that represent a river will do.

I can still remember several times I limped my plane home on one (overheating) engine and belly landing in a field.
MrCup is offline                         Send a private message to MrCup
Old 10-05-2005, 06:14 AM   #7
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Awesome! One of the best flight simulators i have ever played.

A huge plane,full of men,bullets....AND BOMBS! :Brain:
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 06-07-2005, 09:37 AM   #8
Rinforzando
Forum hobbit

Thumbs up

Is it just me, or does the quick reference card link in the 'extras' section NOT link to the card for this version of the game? Or does it not matter that they are different?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #9

A great game, love it

But sometimes it seems utterly impossible to get the plane home (or at least to the british isles). Once the engines start losing oil, the only option to survive is to switch them off or else they catch fire. (or has anybody another solution for the leaking-oil -problem?) although fires can be put out very easily by a) fire extinguisher (ALT + <1 - 4>) or by B) nose-diving at a speed greater than 350 mph but anyway my plane gets shot up almost every time before i get back to the british isles.

Can anybody give any more tips to get the plane home in (more or less) one piece?

Old 14-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #10
KingDom

Yeay, just bought myself the sequel B17 the mighty 8th... :Brain: :Brain:
KingDom is offline                         Send a private message to KingDom