Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
42david42

Thumbs up Top 5 Games

Inspired by Side Meier's Top 5 games on msnbc, I thought I would make a top 5 of my own (and perhaps encourage others to do the same...):

1. Civilization IV
2. Super Mario World
3. Football Manager 2008
4. World of Warcraft
5. Monkey Island 2

Bubblers: StarCraft, Diablo II, Monkey Island 3, Grim Fandango, Championship Manager 95/96, Super Mario Bros 3, Premier Manager 97, Sensible Soccer, Bubble Bobble aaaaaaand Command & Conquer: Red Alert, Civilization

Last edited by 42david42; 10-03-2008 at 05:49 PM.
42david42 is offline                         Send a private message to 42david42
Old 10-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
zaphod_x86
Forum hobbit

1. GTA series (no special one)
2. Realms of Arkania 1
3. Fallout 2
4. Bard's Tale series
5. A-Train (DOS)

As longer as I think about it this list keeps changing so I just wrote down a snapshot of my mind.
zaphod_x86 is offline                         Send a private message to zaphod_x86
Old 10-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Infinitenoodles

1. Portal
2. Chrono Trigger
3. EVE Online
4. Forza 2
5. X3
Infinitenoodles is offline                         Send a private message to Infinitenoodles
Old 10-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

1. Transport Tycoon Deluxe for Windows. This ought to be the game I wasted the most time playing in my entire life and got the best fun out of it in the process. And I still do from time to time...
2. Ufo: Ennemy Unknown. Same than TTD, but come second. All other sequels are pretty much clones of this game.
3. Master of Orion. Pretty much a Civilization clone, but in space. Pretty much spawned the whole 4X genre.
4. Civilization. The best of the Civilization series with eyes closed and a hand tied in the back, all other games of the same genre are clones of this game. This unfortunately include Colonization and Master of Magic, which would also otherwise get their entry on this hall of fame.
5. MechCommander. Even though it has a very closed story and extremely linear gameplay, I have played this game from start to conclusion so many times that I lost count. It probably number easily around the 20.

Honorable mention:
6. Starcraft. Without it's expention, of course, simply the best RTS ever made. Coma. 'nuff said.
7. Original War. One of the best strategy game I ever played. I just can't believe it's so underrated and such an unknown game. Hardcore strategy game players: wake up if you never played that game!
8. Fallout. Incredible RPG, too bad the replayability is so low. It would be higher on my list if so.
9. Chrono Trigger (SNES). Too bad it's a SNES console game, otherwise it would have been higher in my list too. It's without the shadow of a doubt the best SNES RPG ever made, overshadowing Final Fantasy III (and especially FF7) easily.
Old 29-03-2008, 01:28 AM   #5
42david42

I would really like some more replies. Is there already a post like this since noone is replying? If this is the case - where? If this is isn't the case - gief me some answers please - I crave inspiration!
42david42 is offline                         Send a private message to 42david42
Old 29-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Panthro
Man of Science

Far too tough to pick out 5 games... I could give you my 5 fave adventure games, my 5 fave sim/management games, my 5 fave SNES games etc. etc. but best 5 overall?? Every time I put it at 5 I miss out some that should be mentioned...

This is also why I cant say what my favourite films of all time are.
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro
Old 30-03-2008, 12:23 AM   #7
Tseki

«PC»

1. Doom (1 & 2)
2. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
3. Day of the Tentacle
4. Duke Nukem 3D
5. Wolfenstein 3D

Last edited by Tseki; 30-03-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Old 30-03-2008, 03:38 AM   #8
gufu1992
Inscrutable annoying boss

Send a message via MSN to gufu1992

I don't like the entire "X top games of Y". it doesn't work well. Do we count console games? PC? Arcades? Board games FFS?You can't really make top 5, because your tastes will change - you may like this game more than that one today, and differently tommorow.
Old 30-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
42david42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthro View Post
Far too tough to pick out 5 games... I could give you my 5 fave adventure games, my 5 fave sim/management games, my 5 fave SNES games etc. etc. but best 5 overall?? Every time I put it at 5 I miss out some that should be mentioned...

This is also why I cant say what my favourite films of all time are.
This is the exact reason, that making top 5's is such great fun. It's hard and it forces you to make tough decisions.

Why, for that matter, is it so much easier making genre- or platform-specific top 5's? You are faced with the same tough choices and you would surely feel that you would be leaving out a lot this way as well.

Is it because it is easier to compare within the confines of one genre or platform? This argument doesn't hold in my opinion. If you make a top 5 SNES Games you are faced with choosing between games from many genres and if you make a top 5 simulation games you will have to choose between games from different platforms.
In other words - choosing between games from different genres and platforms is possible according to the view that you defend.
Making an overall top 5 is the same on a larger scale - and hence much more fun.

(And why in the world can't you make a movie top 5? I always have mine at the ready)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gufu1992 View Post
I don't like the entire "X top games of Y". it doesn't work well. Do we count console games? PC? Arcades? Board games FFS?You can't really make top 5, because your tastes will change - you may like this game more than that one today, and differently tommorow.
So make one top 5 today and another one tomorrow. I didn't ask for a "top 5 that must never be changed, but must be written in stone and placed upon your forehead for all to see". Of course your taste will change, and you obviously do not know what it will be like in 10 years, which is why I meant your top 5 right now.

As for which game platforms to include - it's entirely up to you. However as it is an overall top 5, I would think it obvious to at least include consoles (and probably arcade games as well). I don't know why you would want to include board games - but if you want to - knock yourself out.
Old 30-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
RIPclass
ಠ__ಠ

My 5 favourities are
1)Monkey island 1
2)Maniac mansion
3)Never winter nights 2
4)Halo
5)Ultima underworld-the stygian abyss