Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #221
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
Is this a typical Bullfrog-game? It constantly crashes
Crashes? I have never seen Syndicate crash (DOS or DOSBox).

Quote:
not allows saves between missions
You can save between missions but not during a mission.

Quote:
nowhere is described properly how the equipment works
Manual?
IIRC, they all work the same way: highlight the weapon/equipment -> right click to use.

Quote:
all missions are basically the same: survive the instantly arriving first wave and win, or be destroyed.
Not true.

Quote:
Fights are basiacally done by activating the "fighting mode", and then everything is made automatically.
Nope, won't work on the later missions or especially in the American Revolt missions.

Quote:
The vehicle-system sucks (especially that no armor the vehicles have), and I have objections against certain missions.
It's an old game. Maybe you should try the sequel, Syndicate Wars (or maybe don't play this game if you don't like it).

I think Syndicate is one of the best DOS games ever, and Syndicate Wars is even better.
zirkoni is offline                         Send a private message to zirkoni
Old 03-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #222
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirkoni View Post
Crashes? I have never seen Syndicate crash (DOS or DOSBox).

Manual?
IIRC, they all work the same way: highlight the weapon/equipment -> right click to use.

It's an old game. Maybe you should try the sequel, Syndicate Wars (or maybe don't play this game if you don't like it).

I think Syndicate is one of the best DOS games ever, and Syndicate Wars is even better.
When I have to retry the same mission ca. 3rd times the game always crashes. As most of the times it is hard to figure out what the player supposed to do in a certain mission it is pretty regular.

The manual is misguiding, as it does not contain the information required to play (I've read it). And no, most implants work with activated IPA-levels, what can too be adjusted up and down...

It is abolutely true that all missions is about surviving the first minute (= first wave of enemy). Ok, some of the later missions can afford more then one wave of enemy, but that's really it is.

What is the "American Revolt" mission? Anyway, 1 mission from 50 is hardly enough to counter me on the question. Not to mention it is basically impossible to win fights afer the first half dozen quests because the enemy comes in groups and from more then one direction. The AI is simply zillion times better to handle the fights.

Syndicate Wars is currently not avaiable. But if you liked Syndicate (what sucks in too many ways to stand out the trials of time), then give a try to Abomination: the nemesis project. That game succeeds in all fields where Syndicate was just an idea.

Btw, if anyone can help me out with these quests:
- in Kenya (the missions are not random, yes?) I should protect an agent who is white and has mind of his own. He starts to go to his destination, and at the immediate start many enemy comes, all equipped with timed bombs, so when I finish off the arriving mass, the agent supposed to be guarded always dies from the explosions. Any hint?
- in South Africa I'm supposed to infiltrate a military camp. The outer part is guarded by 4 enemy, and separated by a door. As doors are only accessible by vehicles, I sit into the only vehicle in the area, what after a second blows up leaving me hopeless. Any hint?
- in Peru the city is built on pillars. I'm supposed to enter a tunnel to assassinate a guy, but I can't seem to find the enterance to the tunnel. Any hint?
- in Paraguay I'm supposed to persecute some drones. I can clear the area from enemy, but the drone is not persecuted. Any hint?
- in New England all the enemy seems to have better AI, range, reaction - basically they seem to have level 4 upgrades or something. Wtf?
- in Argentina another mindless agent is supposed to be carried over. He goes with his own mind, and all arriving enemy attacks HIM. Worst problem is, enemy comes from all direction. Any hint?
Old 03-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #223
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

This is an oldschool game. You need to think like an oldschool player.

The best first hint: there is always at least two ways to do the mission. The head on approach (which is the simplest and work most of the time but is risky) and the covert approach (you do realize you can mind control any citizen you want to bring with you, right?). Most missions even have very obvious courses of action, like infiltrate the base covertly with a vehicle then get out in the base and blow everything up from the inside... Or find a dead end with great close weapons or very powerful weapons and torch every enemy coming your way past that corner you keep firing at. The AI will suddenly look very, very, very dumb to you instead of being a hundred times better than you.

Also, this game is basically won by over-researching your opponents. If you bothered to watch the intro then you should already know what I am talking about. Research better weapons and better implants than your competitors, implement them... And suddenly it's so easy to win every mission it's almost not fun anymore. Simply don't forget to bring medkits for every soldiers and heal yourself as needed.

I finished this game in about a week of sporadic play. That was when I was a teenager. I bet you'll be able to find your way around this game... As long as you stop thinking like a stupid average neo-gamer who expect everything to fall on your lap all the time.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #224
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
The best first hint: there is always at least two ways to do the mission. The head on approach (which is the simplest and work most of the time but is risky) and the covert approach (you do realize you can mind control any citizen you want to bring with you, right?).

Most missions even have very obvious courses of action, like infiltrate the base covertly with a vehicle then get out in the base and blow everything up from the inside... Or find a dead end with great close weapons or very powerful weapons and torch every enemy coming your way past that corner you keep firing at. The AI will suddenly look very, very, very dumb to you instead of being a hundred times better than you.

Also, this game is basically won by over-researching your opponents. If you bothered to watch the intro then you should already know what I am talking about. Research better weapons and better implants than your competitors, implement them... And suddenly it's so easy to win every mission it's almost not fun anymore. Simply don't forget to bring medkits for every soldiers and heal yourself as needed.

I finished this game in about a week of sporadic play. That was when I was a teenager. I bet you'll be able to find your way around this game... As long as you stop thinking like a stupid average neo-gamer who expect everything to fall on your lap all the time.
Thy for nothing Eagle.

1) You can NOT controll unlimited amount of people. Also can NOT mindcontroll anyone (eg. higher level agents). Also this is NOT solution for either mission I've asked.

2) You do NOT understand what I'm talking about. The pathfinding routine might be (IS) shit, but firing to 5 directions to out of screen enemies, can not be done by biological beings. And running to a dead end is NOT good idea, as with that you'd pull unhandleable amount of enemy to yourself.

3) I have medikits. They worth very low, and NOT one of the missions I've asked about includes them as solution.

4) Nice you making statements, but NOT nice being unhelpful. Please leave contact until you come up with something useful. Thx.

5) Btw, this game IS about outresearching the oppopnent. That makes missions nice and easy, and sometimes is direct requirement (eg. in missions where you need to reach an NPC af fast as possible, or you loos the mission requires leg implants, AND using IPA - and thus heart implant - what function is not even told about in the manual...)
Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #225
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Solutions I've found:

- for Paraguay the persudator was malfunctioning, or it had to do with something with the IPA-levels. The solution was to lower the basic IPA level, then rise the actual level to maximum, persuade a random NPC, then persuade the target. Seems bug.

- for New England I turned to the "old gamer thinking" like Eagle suggested. My thought was: what you can not kill, destroy. I carried a Gauss Gun to the mission, and behind the corner I shot down the problematic groups with the hugh explosion.

- Peru: The cover of the particles is also badly designed in this game, but I was able to find the enterance of the tunnel at the end. The mission also requires 2 agents as minimum.

- South Africa: this turned out one of the missions where yu have to have meta-knowledge. One of the enemy at the start goes to put a nontimed timed bomb on the vehicle. So I only had to run in. Also a strange bug occured: the person supposed to be assassinated had time to sit in his car, and although I blew up the car "Mission Failed".

- Argentina: this mission require all 4 agents. Immediatelly at the start you have to shoot down the immediate arrivals, then position the agents to their places, then hit (again) the "all agent active" button to kick in the AI.
After the first doze of enemy falls there will be another group, who has (again) timed bombs. These can be blown up by will if you shoot on them directly (you must do this, as the bomb are en route you protege).

- in Kenya the mission require 4 agents, all equipped with lasers.

Now the only remaining mission is the supposedly final mission, but the designers f'd up again, and a bug causes that to be amongst the regular missions, and thx to that the game has no ending. Bullfrog!

Last edited by twillight; 04-12-2011 at 11:52 AM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 04-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #226
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Strange how you are the only one who ever have problems with Bullfrogs games. That company always had the highest reputation of quality for their games and I don't even remember one of their games crashing at all...

If you want a company which had a very, very bad quality reputation in their games then you can go play with Sierra games.

Also... Strange how you tell me "thanks for nothing" but then the post right after you describe exactly what I told you to do...
Old 04-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #227
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Actually Sierra had (has) a very good quality-reputation (around here at east); and if you check my posts actually you'll find the second one sarcastic.

Oh, and a hint to any player who will play this in the future:
Energy Shield is a must in the "final" mission, but it does not protect your team from timed bombs.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #228
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
1) You can NOT controll unlimited amount of people. Also can NOT mindcontroll anyone (eg. higher level agents). Also this is NOT solution for either mission I've asked.
You can and you can.
Quote:
for Paraguay the persudator was malfunctioning, or it had to do with something with the IPA-levels. The solution was to lower the basic IPA level, then rise the actual level to maximum, persuade a random NPC, then persuade the target. Seems bug.
Nope. IIRC the manual explains EXACTLY that each recruited civilian increases your Persuadotron's power. You need to have a certain amount of power to recruit a cop, and a higher one yet to recruit an agent. Some cases may require you to have an ID Card, I think. The Brain upgrade of the agent armed with the persuadertron gives a multiplier to the persuadertron's power.
Quote:
What is the "American Revolt" mission?
Expansion pack.

Quote:
(the missions are not random, yes?)
Are not.
Quote:
- in Kenya I should protect an agent who is white and has mind of his own. He starts to go to his destination, and at the immediate start many enemy comes, all equipped with timed bombs, so when I finish off the arriving mass, the agent supposed to be guarded always dies from the explosions. Any hint?
Kill them faster with Miniguns. Pick up the bombs to disarm them. Use laser, it doesn't leave corpses. Note the enemies are ignoring the target and focusing on your agents. Or use persuadertron - just be careful to not use it on the agent you're protecting. That last one? Heavily upgraded Agents + 1 Persuadertron = victory without firing a gun ONCE.

Upload your savegame in an attachment, let me check the other missions (my saves are generally either at the "just starting out" stage or "I OWN THE WORLD" stage).

Quote:
Energy Shield is a must in the "final" mission, but it does not protect your team from timed bombs.
Not really. It leaves you unable to return fire. Lasers ten to help there.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #229
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
You can and you can.
Nope. IIRC the manual explains EXACTLY that each recruited civilian increases your Persuadotron's power. You need to have a certain amount of power to recruit a cop, and a higher one yet to recruit an agent. Some cases may require you to have an ID Card, I think. The Brain upgrade of the agent armed with the persuadertron gives a multiplier to the persuadertron's power.

Expansion pack.

Kill them faster with Miniguns. Pick up the bombs to disarm them. Use laser, it doesn't leave corpses. Note the enemies are ignoring the target and focusing on your agents. Or use persuadertron - just be careful to not use it on the agent you're protecting. That last one? Heavily upgraded Agents + 1 Persuadertron = victory without firing a gun ONCE.

Not really. It leaves you unable to return fire. Lasers ten to help there.
Actually the manual says only your brain-implant enchances your persuation-power, and what you require to persuade better is brain-implant.

There is no exp.pack here.

- about Kenya-mission: another clever guy is Fifth, eh? Bad side of his idea is, you may not get too far away from the protected NPC, what means the idea is useless. Besides during missions carrying zounds weapons you have no space, and while moving the whole team picking up object most often ends up not picking up by any member (possibly another bug).

Look, a tip is not a "100% you have to do this", ok?
By the way you'd be screwed with lasers I bet. Not enough ammo, and you'd be teared by the gunners anyway in miliseconds. If you'd open the last mission, you'd now you're placed right under fire from two different group, 3 more coming seconds later. My bet - the safest bet - is to carry energy shields and run around in the middle of the crowd until 1-2 dies, then run some distance away and let them blow up from their own timed bombs. With 2 energy shield you might even preserve power for both shields (so they can be recharged).
Old 04-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #230
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Bad side of his idea is, you may not get too far away from the protected NPC, what means the idea is useless.
Who said only one of those solutions can be applied at a time?
Also, as I said... enemy agents IGNORE the NPC.

Quote:
There is no exp.pack here.
I'm pretty sure we were supposed to place Syndicate Plus for download, ie the version that came with American Revolt and gave you a choice which of the two to start.
Quote:
Actually the manual says only your brain-implant enchances your persuation-power, and what you require to persuade better is brain-implant.
In that case, you must have a bad copy. The page 48 of the manual available from Abandonia clearly gives the information I mentioned.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 04-12-2011 at 04:19 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman