Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-11-2007, 04:56 AM   #11
red_avatar
Administrator

I don't mind the logo or the little guy but the site has one thing I don't like: it looks as if it only half loaded. True story: when I loaded the new site for the first time, I thought the servers were so hammered that it didn't load any of the background images because I couldn't believe they would use so much white with no lines to create structure.

It actually looks a lot like one of those very early websites, when people were running on 28k modems and couldn't load lot of pictures so you had mostly text and little else.

The title bar needs work though - the "dedicated to classic dosgames" line and the little guy shouldn't be there. It looks wrong - as if they just randomly put him there.

If you were to remove the "dedicated" guy (he gets repeated with the language thing anyway) and were to center the page, put black borders left and right, it would look a great deal better, more focussed.
red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 23-11-2007, 07:50 AM   #12
JudgeDeadd
Super Freak

Quote:
I don't mind the logo or the little guy but the site has one thing I don't like: it looks as if it only half loaded. True story: when I loaded the new site for the first time, I thought the servers were so hammered that it didn't load any of the background images because I couldn't believe they would use so much white with no lines to create structure.

It actually looks a lot like one of those very early websites, when people were running on 28k modems and couldn't load lot of pictures so you had mostly text and little else.
Yes, the site looks very drab and bland at the point, but I presume it will be changed (especially since the adverts looks VERY bad on such an empty site).

...Hopefully.
JudgeDeadd is offline                         Send a private message to JudgeDeadd
Old 23-11-2007, 11:45 AM   #13
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek Dobrzyniecki View Post
Yes, but "classic" doesn't mean "ugly". If this guy actually looked good, I could accept him, but he looks worse than some 8-bit computer sprites.

No, silly. I use 1024x768, and the text looks like this:

you are silly, the image changes with resolution so everybody will see it the way it's on the site.

and btw maybe you need glasses (i'm serious, not sarcastic), i run 1280x1024, sit at least 1 meter away from my 17' lcd and can read it.
_r.u.s.s. is offline                         Send a private message to _r.u.s.s.
Old 23-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #14
dosraider
Dismembered.

Oh, taste.
So many people so many different taste.
Some pay a fortune for a Picasso, I wouldn't want one in my home.

But maybe I will print out that little guy and frame it to hang it in my living.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 23-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #15
Doubler
Resident Llama

Send a message via MSN to Doubler

Quote:
and btw maybe you need glasses (i'm serious, not sarcastic), i run 1280x1024, sit at least 1 meter away from my 17' lcd and can read it.
It is extremely vague. The "Select language" balloon is sharp and readable, but without knowing what it says, the motto is pretty much unreadable from any normal distance with any normal eyesight (and yeah, I asked people besides myself to try and read it :P). It's probably an image artifact that can be fixed without much work.
That the guy is so isolated from the actual logo that he appears like a random image thrown in is another matter :P

And I do hope all this white will go away. It looks unfinished and chaotic (since it removes all structure between the images and items), and blinds my eye. No offense meant, but right now there's simply too much unused space in which the actual items just seem to float around a bit.

Last edited by Doubler; 23-11-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Doubler is offline                         Send a private message to Doubler
Old 23-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #16
velik_m
Game Wizzard

The logo sucks. No other way of putting it. I wasn't too thrilled about the 3D logo, but coupled with that stick guy and small unreadable text, it's just awful.

The white looks good at the first glance, but it's too glaring when you spend more time with it. Something softer (light gray) would be nice.
velik_m is offline                         Send a private message to velik_m