Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #341
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

No point arguing Fifth no doubt he will call JRPGs nothing but action adventures as well.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 03-06-2011, 06:20 AM   #342
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Take a look at the goddamn JRPG genre. You'll notice they tend to focus on storytelling rather than player's ability to change the events.
Also, Darth specifically stated "while you play". How large a change can you cause in the game world that is actually visible during the gameplay?
Actually you misquote Darth, Fifth. The exact quotation is:
"Even Fallout one and two have very few endings and it is hardly world altering while you play."

So Darth's statement had 2 parts:
- "very few endings"
- "hardly world altering while you play".

Fisrt thing first: Fallout 1 and 2 has MANY endings without doubt.
Second is, why would the ENDINGS take effect WHILE PLAYING? That's nonsense.

On the other hand there are LOTS of things that DO take effect while playing not related to the actual endings, but to the players decisions! And the decision of the player's do have effect on the endings too!

But if you want, from Fallouts we can mention world- and the same time ending-effective decisions. Like the player's view on slavery (if you fight against slavers you can't be a slaver, or if you become a slaver...). Or the player's choices in New Reno (shop prices change, quests avaiability changes, entire families can disappear). Or the player's support of groups in San Francisco (will the town florish, and how? how will you be able to get the fuel you need? What will the sideffects be?). Or being nice or being a prick in Vault City (you can cut down yourself from an entire major city of the game, what will most probably change the future of the city too). Or take the whole karma-system (if you have negative karma you'll be treated as an evil one: liked by other evils, rejected by good ones - and the reverse).

See? You play a role, making decisions, altering the story, altering avaiability of quests depending on moral decisions, altering quests' outcome and so on. That's what makes a roleplaying game, not buying an upgrade to your laser-cannon.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #343
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking Deep water

Hi,

I am a good swimmer and humble player but that theme is very deep water for me.

Anyway I passed the game, I think this is a good game.

With these words I do not want to start the discussion like
--Who is the first? Hen or egg?--

TY

yoga the swimmer
yoga is offline                         Send a private message to yoga
Old 03-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #344
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Don't mistake RP video games for pen-and-paper or live action RPGs. Story and stats = RPG.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #345
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Instead of the unpaying arguing further (as people here call Doom, or Resident Evil RPGs, what I can't agree) I move on.

I've found the missing key on me (although the spears I did not) under some heap of equipment. As when exiting the first dungeon to the travelling map I already got 2 sacks, I started to arrange my equipment: in one I've put the stones, and in the other I've arranged the potions and such (ca. 8 heaps can be made). The weapons I dropped (swapped with rocks in the first dungeon to be precise), as well as scrolls (they have no weight, but no use either).

I went to the Dark Lantern as the journal suggested, and the fire statues are hard. But I've figured out at least that enemies can be attacked by clicking on 'em, and that tells how much hp they have left!

Sadly I encountered a bug too. When I loaded the last time, when I tried to go backward, the game froze out. No idea why. In the next dungeon things went right again.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #346
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Bug I encountered: a rolling ball hit me, then changed direction 90 degree, so I got stuck. No luck tring to push it. Had to reload.

QUESTIONS:
- The lord of Griffon Keep mentiones a "hidden chamber in his quaters". Where is it? I see no ilusionary wall, or removable wall.
- How to talk with the Lady of the Sea without dying? (Her spell looks attractive to learn.)
Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #347
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
Bug I encountered: a rolling ball hit me, then changed direction 90 degree, so I got stuck. No luck tring to push it. Had to reload.

QUESTIONS:
- The lord of Griffon Keep mentiones a "hidden chamber in his quaters". Where is it? I see no ilusionary wall, or removable wall.
- How to talk with the Lady of the Sea without dying? (Her spell looks attractive to learn.)
I so sorry I forgot the game, dear twillight.
I remember that Scatty and Paco helped me much.
Think that this game is no challenge for you.
You are clever and smart gamer to stop before Anvil.

Good luck!
yoga is offline                         Send a private message to yoga
Old 05-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #348
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I managed to get past the Lady of Sea, seems I just missed a chest.

I've found no info on the hiden chamber of griffon keep, so maybe that's the shrine we unlock with a goldcoin? If anyone knows better, tell me.

Because of not knowing what I'll need I'm currently running around 550+ kg on my shoulders.
Btw, the text-walkthrough out there mistakens in the weight needed in the Underground City at the room with 4 plates around. Only 1 plate requires 100 kg items, the rest works with 15 kg each (so no reason to waist a block-magic).

Finding the Gem was a little hard, as I did not expect it to be in the wall. I wondered a lot why I don't see any object on the ground on my automap

I just noticed "useless" spareweaponry can have special mods. The best is a throwing star what returns in hand, so I think appart from slashing weapons ranged might worth the later points. (Slashing weapons not just contains the best weapons, but also gets improved much faster!)

I'm playing with the orc guy of course, modified of course. For agility I have I think 7 (a +1 medal included), and that is the amount what gives the adequate hitchance to me.

Now I go and check if there is a list of spells to spend my first spellskill point!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #349
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It seems whenever I quit from the game (and turn off the computer), the actual savegame file goes corrupt. And this game isn't that good to play through the part from my last time and figure out how to circumgo the problem.

I give this game a 3/5. Good, good, but nothing really special. It has some usable idea though.

Some advice for future players for character creation:
you need to focus your abiites, so either go with a mage (maximum power), or a warrior (1-2 power). There are plenty of healing stuff to not suffer from the lack of mana when healing.
Magic by my opinion sucks. No magic zones aren't really problem as monsters mindlessly chase you around. Biggest problems can be monsters with ranged attacks.
The two useful spells are healing and freezing.
The primary weapon proficiency should be slashing weapons, the secondary ranged weapons (there is an unlimited ammo renged thing).
About the other stats: as a warrior I suggest 8 Agility (9 with wearing the +1 AG amulet), 6 strength (although this might be required higher, I don't know how much weight the best stuff has), rest into stamina (4 stamina start definitly lacking a bit when aquiring the sword in the Underground City).
There is definitly not enough stuff in the game to play it with all 5 characters.

Last edited by twillight; 11-06-2011 at 09:36 AM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 25-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #350
allthumbs
Forum hobbit

Default map needed?

I know I saw maps somewhere for this game with locations of key plot items. I have been wandering around the Dark Lantern forever, trying to find the lamp I need to free the gargoyle that blocks my path. Based on my map I have been everywhere, yet I still cannot find it. I have the shell and the horn, though. Any help? Thanks
allthumbs is offline                         Send a private message to allthumbs