Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-03-2005, 11:58 PM   #251
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

If you have a designated storm-trooper (i usualy had 3-4 soldiers) who are the first ppl inside a UFO or if you know you are facing extreamy tough resistance, here is a special trick for you.
Bring a few rookies you've just requited.
Arm them with the heaviest weapon they can carry, preferebly blaster-launcher and a single round for it, along with a proxy-nade.

At the start of the battle, have them all start with proxy-nades in theire hand, and arm it the first thing you do..
Now, put the nade in theire belt, and storm the controle-room.
If the lone soldier survived the entering, fire the blaster.
If he doesn't, well.. you've just placed a trap, since the proxy-nade activetes one it's on the ground, eg the soldier dies... same goes for the regulare explosives (nade, alien nade, smoker and so on..)

BANZAIII!!!!!

If you MC an alien that is "useless". Just have it pick up one of it's nades, prime it @ 0, and go back to inventory and take it from its hands and place it on the ground.

It's fun when you've managed to MC one, and he spots another, and another, and another.. and you do this with all of them...
had several mission where i annihilated the crew before they got to move the first time. LOL
Old 03-03-2005, 12:07 AM   #252
xcom freak
Games Master

Thats sadistic !!!! LOL LOL

I never lost a recruit,loaded A LOT but never lost a single man.
I d never let that happen and do u want to sacrifice one??????????
I only send 2 / 3 troopers per mission but i recruit a lot coz if u do have a lot ull 2/3 troopers gain ranks easier.

Wait i just thought about it! could be fun seeing these bad reaction bad time units bad accuracy chiken rookies die :evil: Its only a game after all
xcom freak is offline                         Send a private message to xcom freak
Old 03-03-2005, 03:47 AM   #253
Jman4117
Game freak

Why not train up a reaction fire team and never have to worry about having to suicide rookies? 10 guys with laser pistols camping a door...w3rd.....
Jman4117 is offline                         Send a private message to Jman4117
Old 03-03-2005, 07:03 AM   #254
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

LOL those are the totally different tactics to the ones I use.

I just send 8 guys in a lightning with power armour (flying is a total waste of Elerium) all with laser rifles, a HE pack each, 2 proxy nades and one normal hand grenade.

I send them out separately, in teams of 2.

And Crysallids are quite easy if you use incendiary weapons instead of any thing HE. You are basically wasting grenads on them.

Use lasers and IC rockets on them. That makes it easy.

And Etherials are quite easy to kill once you have found them. Just throw as many grenades (especially HE packs) at them as possible at any point. If you let them live, your best commandos can easily get killed by stupid rookies.

So either give rookies basic rifles, or send them on really easy missions like small or very small UFOs (don't waste good ships on them, use a Skyranger).
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 03-03-2005, 09:02 AM   #255
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
And Crysallids are quite easy if you use incendiary weapons instead of any thing HE. You are basically wasting grenads on them.
Finnaly someone who seem to actually read the Alien autopsy text... k:
Old 03-03-2005, 11:51 AM   #256
Subs

This game has always been great. Love it as I did with Laser Squad. However...if you ever get time to complete it the ending is lame. ... Comes close being to worst ending ever for the time you have to put in. But it still a great game.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #257
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Mar 3 2005, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Finnaly someone who seem to actually read the Alien autopsy text... k:
Yeah. Surprising that most people don't.

And that's a hint for you all - read the alien autopsy things! They are stunningly useful!

And for the love of all things potato like - look at the weapon stats - read how much damage they do and what type or you will be looking like a real fool when you presume what weapons do and get it wrong!

And also, if you can only see one alien, please, save the lives of your soldiers and use aimed shots when crouching - especially with rocket launchers! If you are going to need to reload it, use an aimed shot, you won't get another anyway!
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 03-03-2005, 12:32 PM   #258
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Titan@Mar 3 2005, 12:58 AM
At the start of the battle, have them all start with proxy-nades in theire hand, and arm it the first thing you do..
Now, put the nade in theire belt, and storm the controle-room.
If the lone soldier survived the entering, fire the blaster.
If he doesn't, well.. you've just placed a trap, since the proxy-nade activetes one it's on the ground, eg the soldier dies... same goes for the regulare explosives (nade, alien nade, smoker and so on..)
Hm, sounds a bit risky to me: what happens if your soldier dies in front of the door (so while he's still outside), dropping his proxy grenade?
It could take ages before our green or grey friends decide to go for a little walk to catch some fresh air.

Something I always do, it to leave 2 soldiers wearing flying suits behind in my plane. It happens sometimes that you enter a house, fire at an alien, and damage the staircase in the process. It's hateful if there's still one alien upstairs and you don't have flying suits at your disposal. Of course you could start stripping the building, especially with laser rifles, but still...

Also, the same thing goes for your own bases: quite often some aliens will stay at the top floor of the entrance shaft. It's mightily annoying if you can't see it, while you know it's up there somewhere. Of course there are plenty of ways to work around this, but I prefer being able to send someone up.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:29 PM   #259
My-Q

I always play the game using 6 soldiers, 2 with blaster and heavy plasma, the other 4 with heavy plasma and psi-amps.. why bother wasting our soldiers if we can waste those aliens? LOL

As for the armors, flying suit is obviously the best choice as reapers, silacoids, and chryssalids won't be able to attack anything that flies.. so, i'd rather leave those losers run around while i killed their other races (floaters, mutons, snakeman) and leave them run around looking stupid LOL
My-Q is offline                         Send a private message to My-Q
Old 03-03-2005, 04:17 PM   #260
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Quote:
Originally posted by My-Q@Mar 3 2005, 04:29 PM
I always play the game using 6 soldiers, 2 with blaster and heavy plasma, the other 4 with heavy plasma and psi-amps.. why bother wasting our soldiers if we can waste those aliens? LOL

As for the armors, flying suit is obviously the best choice as reapers, silacoids, and chryssalids won't be able to attack anything that flies.. so, i'd rather leave those losers run around while i killed their other races (floaters, mutons, snakeman) and leave them run around looking stupid LOL
Actually, if you get just above the ground level, any HTH aliens can still kill you. And if you think that flying makes you invincible to alien grenades/blaster bombs, you are totally wrong.

All of the explosions in the game are 3-D, which is handy for bases (throw HE onto access lift and run!)

And another thing - Flying suits - a total waste of elerium.

If you attack the small ships (you can do this in personal/no armour) then you will only get enough Elerium for 3 suits of it and attacking anything larger without much armour is incredibly stupid.

Power armour is way more useful, as they only need 5 elerium and are nearly as good in terms of protection. You could make 10 of those suits from one very small/small alien ship, and with that get a couple of elite squads suitable for base assaults or any other dangerous work.

Another thing is that with Power Suits, you do not get some of the bugs in the game that make your soldiers dissappear and also you keep enough Elerium to use for Firestorm/Lightning flights

In my opinion, Avengers are only good as the way to get the last mission. If you use it as a fighter jet with large amounts of health, ignore it and get Firestorms. If you want a large transport, use a Lightning. And if you really care that much about tanks, stick to a Skyranger.

The Avenger takes way too much Elerium per flight and as I said, is only useful because it is the only way to get to the last mission.

If you add a single Plasma Cannon to a Lightning, it can still take down supply ships and even terror ships and carry a large group of good soldiers, which is what I use them for, and they move very quickly, which helps with Terror missions which are going to be at night within around 3 hours. A Lightning can arrive in time and carry well armed and trained soldiers which can easily beat off the Crysallids and Etherials that usually arrive.

If you want a straight fighter, the Firestorm doesn't need too much Elerium and is a good fighter with two Plasma Cannons.

If you want to take tanks as a way to help Rookies, then just use a Skyranger, as this way you won't waste any of your precious Elerium and you can still take on any ship up to a medium size.

Oh yeah, and Psi-amps are not that useful. Fine, you can panic your enemies, but why waste the Elerium and time instead of just making or buying grenades, which are far more useful?