Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-01-2005, 11:02 PM   #11
auhsor
Super Freak

Yeah, I agree with mika. I like windows. I like the others to, but I have grown up with windows so I know how it works pretty well. It'll be good to get a major revamp of it, but the do have to be careful not to make things too streamlined and to not let you have enough freedom with what you, as the user want installed.
auhsor is offline                         Send a private message to auhsor
Old 31-01-2005, 02:28 AM   #12
Caged
Game Wizzard

ah....MSLonghorn....I've been waiting to hear more about it. However, the stuff I've heard so far isn't very promising. The fact that microsoft is making essentially a brand new windows makes me uneasy right away and given their track record with winxp...I don't hold out much hope for early longhorn versions.

However, change is good but they are pumping longhorn out too soon in my eyes as they did XP. XP should have been in the shop for at least another 6 monthes before being relieased, however that is not the topic. The cold fact and major blow to the new OS is that it is coming incomplete. Say what? yes, incomplete. MS has had to defer major resources to the SP2 problem and therefore was set back on their brand new file management system. Longhorn will be released...sometime in the next couple years but without the major feature driving it. So tell me this, is it even worth putting out?
Caged is offline                         Send a private message to Caged
Old 31-01-2005, 05:25 AM   #13
mika
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Caged+Jan 31 2005, 05:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Caged @ Jan 31 2005, 05:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>given their track record with winxp[/b]

Their track record with XP was brilliant. It is the best OS that they've released so far. I myself have never had a problem with it since it came out. Not even before SP2.

Quote:
Originally posted by Caged@Jan 31 2005, 05:28 AM
they are pumping longhorn out too soon in my eyes as they did XP.
How can you say that, when they're not even close to releasing Longhorn. It's slated for a 2007 release. It was moved over when they moved resources to the XP SP2 development.

Quote:
Originally posted by Caged@Jan 31 2005, 05:28 AM
The cold fact and major blow to the new OS is that it is coming incomplete. Say what? yes, incomplete. MS has had to defer major resources to the SP2 problem and therefore was set back on their brand new file management system.
Sure WinFX will not be there, but they will still have plenty new features to go with it. Even Avalon will now be coming out with XP and will not be waiting for Longhorn, but it will have a new API (which most developers should be happy to hear considering how they complain about the current one - although there's no chance of that because Microsoft can do anything right hey?) and a whole new UI. Plus the fact that they've released the new Msn toolbar which includes indexed desktop searching, which would have been the largest feature of WinFx.

<!--QuoteBegin-Caged
@Jan 31 2005, 05:28 AM
So tell me this, is it even worth putting out?[/quote]

Well the answer to that is: Is there any point in putting any new version out of any program or OS? What's the point of any Linux flavour releasing any new version when the features are always pretty much the same and there are only bug fixes?
mika is offline                         Send a private message to mika
Old 02-02-2005, 02:35 AM   #14
Caged
Game Wizzard

I meant no offense my friend, I merely go by what i hear and have experienced. I was one of the unlucky ones to have a great deal of trouble upgrading from ME to XP and then with SP2, I felt Microsoft deserved to rot in the firery underworld. In my eyes it wasn't all that brilliant and well designed and caused me nothing but trouble.

However, i must take into account that I am using an older machine, had XP viruses embedded on the hard drive from ME, and am still running a Pent. III 700mhz. I will add that i have had no trouble since a clean reformat and reinstall so I guess XP is okay. I wouldn't go so far as deeming it wonderful though. I still feel 98se was the best Gates came out with. Personal Opinion though.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:45 AM   #15
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The best thing about Win98 where the kewl BSOD it would threw up everytime you ran out of memory (very, very often in my case) :whistle:

I've never gotten an XP stop code BSOD. Never. Ever. (got only a few in 2000 due to some driver incompatibilities). The fact that you did an upgrade from ME is your flaw. Always do a clean install. Keep your Virusscanner up to date, critical updates in check... k:
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 02-02-2005, 09:05 AM   #16
mika
Games Master

Heh, sorry I come across so strong on this issue, and there is no offence involved at all. I just hear it all the time. Especially here at work, where I'm one of a few .NET developers in a jungle of Java developers, so you can just imagine the comments.
mika is offline                         Send a private message to mika
Old 02-02-2005, 09:11 AM   #17
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Java runs fine on XP as does .NET
They'll probably both run fine on LongHorn as well!
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 04-02-2005, 12:19 AM   #18
Caged
Game Wizzard

here's hoping Longhorn comes off the best yet...and if it doesn't...well....we'll cross that bridge when it comes.

As a side note, I only upgraded from ME to XP because i thought i was incapable of a full reformat with an upgrade disk. I now know a great deal more and all from listening to different forum boards.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:07 PM   #19
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

Quote:
Originally posted by Caged@Feb 4 2005, 01:19 AM
here's hoping Longhorn comes off the best yet...and if it doesn't...well....we'll cross that bridge when it comes.

As a side note, I only upgraded from ME to XP because i thought i was incapable of a full reformat with an upgrade disk. I now know a great deal more and all from listening to different forum boards.
I just hope that Longhorn will at least give the user the option of control vs. n00b friendlyness. As far as I know in XP I don't get the option of installing a minimal system and then get to add only the features I want. I've had my share of troubles with XP. Viruses, worms, trojans, spyware, undeletable folders, occasional hangups, annoying textbubbles informing me that there's a wlan network in the vicinity (never figured out how to turn that feuture off), etc. etc.

There are three positive things about Windows in my opinion.

1. It easily has the highest amount of support from game developers.
2. Same as 1. but concerning hardware drivers.
3. It's "n00b friendly". (Not to confuse with "user friendly", there is a difference.).

Only on the third point can credits be handed to Micro$oft, on point one and two it's the developer's "fault" that their drivers and games aren't made for other OS. Guess they think that there are to few non-Windows users to bother...
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG