Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-10-2005, 05:42 AM   #1
SixApes
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via Yahoo to SixApes

Im a mac noob. Plain and simple. The thing is, as with most geeks, I find that I like every assortment of systems and OS'es that I can aquire. I just love learning new things. Which brings me to my point. Im in desperate need of direction. I recently bought a Tangerine iMac G3. I have aquired a copy of OS X Tiger. I've been told by a few people, that its possible to install it only a G3, but the wiki's i've found are not written for a Mac noob such as myself. Are there any masters of the Mac here on abandonia that might direct me to the light?

Also, i need a keyboard and mouse for it. I know there are certain requirements for mac keyboards. What should I get?

How does one boot from a CD? I inserted the Mac OS X CD and rebooted it, but it never tried to read from the CD. Are there keystrokes that I will need to enter to initialize a boot sequence.

And on another note.... when turning the computer on. I get a fold icon in the center of the screen that flashes from a '?' to the MacFace in a continuous cycle. I was guessing this was a sign of no OS being loaded.

Thanks to any who post supporting comments and general insights.

SixApes is offline                         Send a private message to SixApes
Old 13-10-2005, 05:43 AM   #2
SixApes
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via Yahoo to SixApes

Oh btw ... i spent 2 bucks on this machine.... so im willing to put a few more dollars in it if I need too.
SixApes is offline                         Send a private message to SixApes
Old 13-10-2005, 08:33 PM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Moved since this have absolutly nothing to do with troubleshooting.
Old 15-10-2005, 12:54 AM   #4
swiss
who's not Swiss

as far as I know (and I know coz I tried it several times) you cannot install Tiger (aka 10.4.x) on a G3. I have the same iMac here (the BW) and I recommend Panter (10.3.x) to be installed on it which runs very good on the ol' MAC.

The sign you get during the boot right now is the "no OS found" icon. You do not seem to have a Harddisk with a MAC Operating System on it.
When you currently have an OS on the HDD then you probably messed up your basic preferences (=> Parameter RAM) you can delete the Parameter RAM by pressing "alt" "apple" "p" and "r" together at startup. Wait until you hear the starting tone 3 (!) times. All Params are reset by then.

To boot from CD just press the "c" key on the keyboard when starting the MAC and wait until the boot runs from CD.

When you need to reset your firmware (happens from time to time) press "alt" "apple" "o" and "f" at startup and release those keys after a few seconds. then type the following at the prompt.

reset-nvram
reset-all

Both lines need to be finished by pressing the enter key. The system should restart afterwards.

If you need more help, let me know. It's part of my job to keep the MACs running at my company.

Cheers to the new MAC User !!!!!

swiss
swiss is offline                         Send a private message to swiss
Old 15-10-2005, 03:47 PM   #5
Ioncannon
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via MSN to Ioncannon

hmm OS X does work on g3s but you need as much ram as possible, and a good video card. As swiss said hold c to boot cd, though I think it shouldve loaded automaticly. I recommend just putting OS 9 on it. Also I think any USB keyboard should work with the imac. Sorry but I am only good with the older beige ones.
Ioncannon is offline                         Send a private message to Ioncannon
Old 16-10-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
swiss
who's not Swiss

I would recommend 10.3.8 and at leat 196 Megs of RAM ...
swiss is offline                         Send a private message to swiss