Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-03-2004, 10:19 AM   #1
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default UFO - Enemy Unknown

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 22-01-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 04-05-2004, 11:04 PM   #2
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

hehe... got my 20 man army beaten by ONE etherial once...
equiped a Lightning with laser-canon to be able to take down crafts unhamed... took down a small-scout, but forgott to chk the race... wen't... and the etherial mindcontroled my ONLY man with blaster-launcher...

*exit, then load saved game*

Later, as in when you have caught an etherial ALIVE or a Sectoid Leader/Commander... you get to research PSI-powers.. this is a turningpoint in the game...
Old 01-06-2006, 05:25 AM   #3
Ahnassi
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Titan @ May 5 2004, 10:04 AM) [snapback]1458[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
hehe... got my 20 man army beaten by ONE etherial once...
equiped a Lightning with laser-canon to be able to take down crafts unhamed... took down a small-scout, but forgott to chk the race... wen't... and the etherial mindcontroled my ONLY man with blaster-launcher...

*exit, then load saved game*

Later, as in when you have caught an etherial ALIVE or a Sectoid Leader/Commander... you get to research PSI-powers.. this is a turningpoint in the game...
[/b]
you should take about mind health of your squadearlier.

1) before etherials appears there is a sectoid commanders at very large UFOs.
2) use these commanders to check mind strength of your soldiers.
sectoid commanders usually the one and only person who can do Mind Control. So they can't take control all your squad but only one "betrayer"
If your soldier is mind controlled by sectiod commander then
a) write down betrayer name
b)load the game
c)fire this soldier or at least remove all weapons from him and leave a medikit(let him heal your solders until death )
d) hire another or better transfer from another base.

Mind controlling also means than mind strength of your soldier is less then 75. This is bad soldiers.
Also to mind control an etherial your soldier should have mind strength equal or higher than 90 and skill more than 50.
Usually I am using very large UFO mainly to reveal "betrayers". So when etherials come I am ready.
I have 2 bases with 20 soldiers on each. So I have a some reserve to replace betrayers.
Also a base attack is also good thing for revealing betrayers.

Blaster launcher is bad weapon. Killing enemies with blaster launcher does not train your soldiers.

Ahnassi is offline                         Send a private message to Ahnassi
Old 05-05-2004, 03:19 PM   #4
Petter1979
Game freak

Default priximity grenades

I use alot of proximity grenades, when im on missions. hehe thats fun, also if they are not killed, i know where a alien are when they make a mistake and walk on it
Petter1979 is offline                         Send a private message to Petter1979
Old 05-05-2004, 11:51 PM   #5
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

*L* Large scouts where sooooooo easy to over-run with Proxy-nades at the right door.. just place it 1 square outside... the second the alien steps throu the door, it blows up, and kills any other aliens also standing behind
Old 24-05-2004, 10:59 PM   #6
Titan
Gnome

Hmmm... odd... since i just tried arming a crysalis with a blaster just to try if i was wrong

I works.. just place the Crys. ontop of a blaster, go to a random soldier, click his properties, select next char. util you come to the Crys, pick the blaster up from the ground, and BANZAI! perfect suecide-squad... usualy have 1 with Heavy plasma och one with blaster in backpack (no reaction-fire here infront of my storm-squad when taking on bases..

Regarding heavy plasma... i also recall sometime the walls gave after to a hit, but it's not common.. Blaster is the prefered way...
Old 02-06-2004, 03:53 AM   #7
Anonymous

It's not a new game, it's a remake of X-Com1 by fans all around the world. Most of them a full-time software engineers or full-time engineering Uni students.

Work is still underway, but the graphics are breathtaking. Just looking at the geoscope (the earth) you can see extreme 3D mountiain ridges interacting with the lighting effects, the weather changes and clouds, the bright lights of major cities at night ............

wanna see the clouds?
http://www.projectxenocide.com/images/artgeo10-800.jpg
or the lights?
http://www.projectxenocide.com/images/artgeo2-800.jpg
or a movie clip of gameplay?
http://www.projectxenocide.com/videos/xeno...0.4-640x480.wmv

Old 28-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Zomby

Hey I think that those links may be expired but anyway I had a question, actually a couple of them:
1. If there is a better version, a redo by fans then where could I get or at least get a look at it?
2. Is there a way how to make the windows version (that is currently uploaded here) run slower so that the animations would mach the original speed in the game?

PS.
In my opinion UFO Defense is maybe the best tactical-strategical game of all time considering the year of release
Zomby is offline                         Send a private message to Zomby
Old 28-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
1. If there is a better version, a redo by fans then where could I get or at least get a look at it?
There are like a dozen different ones, some commercial and some not. http://www.xcomufo.com/links.html
There's also the recent UFO series (Aftermath-Aftershock-Afterlight) and Ufo: Extraterrestrials. I'm pretty sure there was a more comprehensive list posted earlier...

Ah, found it: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...8860#post88860
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...7489#post87489

Regarding the speed, set all speeds in the battlescape options (the ? icon on the battlescape control panel) to the lowest and see if that helps.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 28-08-2008 at 03:26 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 29-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #10
Zomby

Thanks for the links! I do know about the settings in game that you can change but it does not help much it is still crazy fast... I boutght myself this new PC, a quite fast one and well I almost wish it was not that fast.. There has to be a way to make that game run slower in windows..
Zomby is offline                         Send a private message to Zomby