Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
LordZsar1
Forum hobbit

Send a message via AIM to LordZsar1 Send a message via MSN to LordZsar1

Seems as if I am read somewhat more "whiney" (or even fanatic?) than I tried to be - just trying to do a little persuasion work, a task I am rather inept at.

As far as I know, it would be plain wrong to write "Phantasie" (thus my last post to clarify) - that word just does not denote what we wish to associate with it and I have not found reference for it to be used to catalogise (whereas I presented proof of the term "Phantastik" being used in literature).
I do not actually have a problem with keeping "Fantasy" as it is, but please leave literal translations out of this, these just do not work here (though I admit that they do often enough in other cases, which are however distributed rather randomly among the vocabulary).
LordZsar1 is offline                         Send a private message to LordZsar1
Old 21-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #12
Pex
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewolf View Post
What do the fellow users think? This might work for other languages as well.
Serbian language has no adequate translation either. Similarly to German, the anglicism used in Serbian 'fantazija' means exclusively imagining, while 'fantastika' means fiction (our translation of sci-fi is 'naučna fantastika' - which translates back into English as 'scientific fiction').

Some people use term 'epska fantastika' which means 'epic fiction', but imo that is a completely different genre to fantasy (or maybe you could say a sub-genre of it). So very commonly in Serbian you'd hear people just saying 'fantazi' which is just our spelling of the word 'fantasy', but I don't think the word actually exists.

We had discusion in our translation topic about leaving some words in original or translating them. I'm totally for protection of my native language, but it's often a hard call, especially with the words and phrases that appeared in the last 50 or 60 years as a part of computer/gaming industry (like RPG, game engine, etc) which when translated sound really awkward because you have to use descriptive translation. So we decided to leave them and I'm sure readers were appreciate our decision and not even notice it. On the other hand, if we were translating them, I'm sure many readers would think 'what are these guys on about?'
Old 21-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
LordZsar1
Forum hobbit

This is hardly an issue here, as the term is and has been, as I mentioned, in use for longer than I live.
The label "cyberpunk" would be a problem, having no german equivalent and therefore being subject to figurative translation, which I'd not approve either.

... Something to throw in - how was it ever approved to translate "abandoned" as "abandoniert"? This is a perfect example for such an attempt and one that failed miserably as well (looks and sounds foreign in a rather repelling way). May I guess that whoever came up with that just did not care to ask? ^^
(Correct translation would be "herrenlos" or a synonym of that... but considering our limited context, one could as well write "frei", "verfügbar", "ungeschützt", etc...)
We have some other ugly looking things here, which cannot possibly have been approved by common consent - "Abwechselnd" is a game tag... and means what!? "Hot seat", mayhap? Hopefully.
What is "Seite" supposed to mean? "side scrolling"? I thought so, but alas it does not. "Frei"?

... ...

... We should pause this discussion for now.
You know why? Well, for my next motivating post, the text just above this block here, I actually browsed the german site for the first time and, well... I am shocked about the dimension of disorder among the tags (and links between translations).
There are a dozen games or more which are categorised differently than in their english article and linked to translations in other "small" languages which adapt the wrong classification (or the german articles adapted from one of them - impossible to say).

Want a try? Go to the review of "Burntime" with english language selected and try to view it in another language. None is listed. Then return to the main page, switch language to german and go to the review of Burntime again - suprise: croatian, danish, dutch, german, polish, portugese, russian, slovenian, spanish. But at least the german and the dutch review are indeed translations of the english text.
(Could someone please check the other languages as well?)

I will have to chart that mess, so that someone with more rights can sort it out. ... Planned for friday and weekend.
As Icewolf told me (and I now have realised): There are indeed much more pressing matters, apparently. Such disorder should never have happened in the first place and better be obliterated the sooner the better. ~~

If anyone feels like helping me, I will work my way from bottom to top (english order) and from back to front.
Goal is to look up the reviews and, in case there is both an english and a german version, check if they are linked (tags will be appropriate automatically in that case) or not and write down those which are not.
Obviously, one does not need any language capabilities for that, other then understanding the genre list, which I provide here however:

Code:
English     German
action      action
adventure   abenteuer
arcade      arkade
board       gesellschafts-
puzzle      rätsel
racing      rennspiele
rpg         rollenspiele
simulation  simulationen
sports      sport
strategy    strategie
text based  textbasiert
unsorted    unsortiert
LordZsar1 is offline                         Send a private message to LordZsar1
Old 21-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #14
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

It's of no avail to document the chaos; we can't change it. If we are able to repair it somewhen in the future, (I hope) we won't need lists. It's a system failure and should be correctable with system corrections and automated functions.

Btw: I thought about translating all descriptions too, since I am somewhat of a militant grammarian in German (I know that it's not about grammar, that was just a reference to Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace), but at some point I didn't want to overdo it.
Old 21-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #15
LordZsar1
Forum hobbit

Slowly but surely I start to feel slightly depressed...
Well, so much about that then, I will find something else to do. ~~