Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-03-2010, 04:02 AM   #1
dragonnutds

Default can i get in trouble legally if i download from this site?

i realy need to know, and i don't want "probably not" i need a definite answer, as in "the only way to get in trouble is if you keep a game after the copyright owner tells the site to delete it" or something like that
dragonnutds is offline                         Send a private message to dragonnutds
Old 20-03-2010, 05:22 AM   #2
Wicky
the little viking

Well, the point is this: If abandonia did not host these games, then you wouldn't be able to get them anywhere!

So the short answer: Yes. It is against the law to download.

Long answer: The games are from companies which no longer exist. Thus the damage done equals 0,0$. None of the copyright holders care about somebody who cause 0$ damage. Even the government helped abandonware sites by including a paragraph in the DCMA, which allows to crack abandoned games in order to preserve them as cultural ware.
http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2006/71fr68472.html

You probably won't ever get into legal trouble since the ESA companies watch us with Argus Eyes and do not complain.

Last edited by Wicky; 20-03-2010 at 05:27 AM.
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 20-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
You probably won't ever get into legal trouble since the ESA companies watch us with Argus Eyes and do not complain.
And because it's closely watched here which games are still protected by their copyright holders and / or ESA, so the only games available for download here are only those which are really abandoned, too.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 20-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonnutds View Post
i realy need to know, and i don't want "probably not" i need a definite answer, as in "the only way to get in trouble is if you keep a game after the copyright owner tells the site to delete it" or something like that
in short: practically, no

in long: files are transferred via http protocol so there's no "mafiaa peers" like on torrents spying on you (if that's what you mean by getting legally in trouble), and we do not host games that are sold, only the ones that are abandoned, forgotten

so unless you believe that your isp has planned a conspiracy against you and wants to spend money just to put you on court for absolutely no gain at all it's safe
Old 20-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Quote:
can i get in trouble legally if i download from this site?
The other guys explained the thing very well, we have very restrictive rules here because the first one that may get in trouble would be the site.

It would be easier for you to get in trouble for a movie or mp3 you may have downloaded when you were a young boy...discovering the wonders of the Internet.

Abandonia is a sort of museum of games risking extinction, we are all volunteers and we don't get money for our work.

However if you feel to stay "safe" there are many sites around that can offer you oldies at a reasonable price, GoG and Steam for example.
Dave is offline                         Send a private message to Dave
Old 20-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonnutds View Post
Not really. The copyright protection agencies go after those providing the content, not those perusing it.
So, if anything happens, it's Abandonia that's in trouble - not its' users.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 20-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
dragonnutds

Default thank

thank you everyone, now i am going to go look for some treasures of the past
dragonnutds is offline                         Send a private message to dragonnutds
Old 20-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
The copyright protection agencies go after those providing the content, not those perusing it.
Although the music industry is lobbying to have more power to go against everyone, no matter what, just because they are scared because they are turning obsolescent....

but yeah, you are pretty safe downloading from here. As it has been told, we are only offering stuff that isn't being sold and that isn't being actively protected by the IP owner.
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 27-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #9
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
as in "the only way to get in trouble is if you keep a game after the copyright owner tells the site to delete it" or something like that
Since you asked that we do not BS you, I think it is very fair to warn you that this comment, probably taken as reference from a ROM site, is pure BS all by itself.

Even if you were to delete a game you downloaded, would it be any kind, deleting it would by no mean clean yourself of any kind of accusation if you ever happen to end in this situation.

The rest has however been already very well described above, so I'll refrain from repeating everything again.