Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-11-2005, 05:06 AM   #31
Nikson
Game Wizzard

After Deep Blue beat Kasparov, he had a revenge series of games against it and won/drew all of them
Nikson is offline                         Send a private message to Nikson
Old 08-11-2005, 09:36 AM   #32
Nosmo

I got chessmaster 9000 (wich works perfectly on XP). I like it because not only can i find an oppenant of a similar level (approx 1100 at the monent but lickly to drop quit a bit soon) It also help teach my kids to play. My 5 year old loves playing against the chimp . I also play against lower oppentents if i'm trying out new openings. (my main openeing is the kings indian attack).

Nosmo is offline                         Send a private message to Nosmo
Old 08-11-2005, 10:27 PM   #33
Evad
Game freak

I am partial to the vienna, or kings indian opening(white) and experimenting with sicilian(black).

I believe Kasparov won the first match vs deep-blue, after which deeper-blue*1 won the rematch, and upon doing so retired much to the agaust of Kasparov. I believe that IBM did this in spite of Kasparov's rudeness, as he suggested that there was outside interference; aka. some other grandmaster inputting moves during the match.

In the chessmaster series there are fully annotated coverings of both the matches.

*1. After the first match the deep blue program was over hauled, as well as the actually hardware was supped up considerably, hence the name deeper-blue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Blue
Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad
Old 08-12-2005, 02:43 PM   #34
Puzzled

I can run it in XP, but when I "exit" it goes to a MS-DOS screen. Why?

Old 22-12-2005, 02:07 PM   #35
Joe Gatt

I cannot install this game on my Windows 2000 Professional operating system. Can anyone help me out ?

Old 29-05-2006, 04:26 PM   #36
FISHCHAIR
Abandonia nerd

I have to be honnest i diddnt try the game but i have a really cool link for you chess freaks just like me just go to google and type in "FICS" its an awsum site totaly free dont need money to join dont need any money what so ever hens the name "FICS" Free Internet Chess Server. you can watch the Gms live when there are tournaments on you get your own rating chat in channels (ect...) if you do log on the best interface in my opinion ib "babas chess" look out for me there my name is fishchair.
FISHCHAIR is offline                         Send a private message to FISHCHAIR
Old 18-06-2006, 09:43 AM   #37
Guest_XENO_*

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DonCorleone @ Nov 7 2005, 03:36 PM) [snapback]177478[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
How good is the grandmaster chess-engine in comparison to the fritz engine? Does

someone know?

I´m asking cause I´m looking for an alternative to chessmaster2000 and fritz 7.

Chessmaster has got a very good library and therefor is quite adequate for learning.

Even for advanced gamers. Fritz7 is quite strong and hasn´t got much of a chess

learning mode. So chessmaster would be the right choice for the beginning. Problem is:

it doesn´t work on XP...

So what do you think?
[/b]
I owned this game in the past and it's extremely weak even to Fritz 1,2 and 3. It plays at a low club level standard.

Old 23-06-2006, 12:14 AM   #38
david bandel

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nikson @ Nov 8 2005, 06:06 AM) [snapback]177772[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
After Deep Blue beat Kasparov, he had a revenge series of games against it and won/drew all of them
[/b]
after deep blue beat kasparov, deep blue was retired by IBM. kasparov made many accusations which i suspect were probably true since anyone who knows a bit about chess can see that no matter how deep the program searches, a few of the moves it played were completel human in nature. furthermore, IBM refused to release score sheets and logs to prove the machine found the move on its own. if they had nothing to hide, why hide it?

kasparov did not beat deep blue in a rematch.

todays software is stronger. that's right. the best software running on a home PC could defeat the deep blue that defeated kasparov. in a recent match, the software available to you folks from chessbase defeated michael adams 5.5 - .5. that means in 6 games it won 5 and drew 1. no losses. adams is within 100 elo of kasparov.. meaning that machine was far stronger than any human at the time.

new software, rybka, is over 100 elo stronger than it's nearest competitor: fruit 2.2.1 which is stronger than any other engine including anything chessbase has pumped out.

chess software is better than any human player. period. EXCEPT in correspondence chess. in correspondence where humans have hours or days or even weeks to consider each move, they can exhaust all the positional aspects.. and delve deeper tactically than a computer who's depth is a log of time wherease a human's depth is more like a square root curve.

thus making stronger computer software still has a reason: defeating correspondence opponents. also, being the strongest software means you will be the best analysis tool for grandmasters (and weak players too if they really know how to use the software well.. since they have to substitute their ability to use the software for the GM's better understanding of the machine's results).

also, when it comes to solving chess, the gauntlet was thrown down hundreds of years ago.. and the challenge still has yet to be met.

we will easily solve chess within 20 years.

if you disagree please email me at sharpnova AT gmail DOT com

i'll explain it and you could paste it in this thread if you like.

Old 27-10-2006, 07:59 PM   #39
helper??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joe Gatt @ Dec 22 2005, 03:07 PM) [snapback]191358[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I cannot install this game on my Windows 2000 Professional operating system. Can anyone help me out ?
[/b]
Just something you might try.....just installed it successfully on a Windows 2000 sp4.....seems to work
fine....(maybe try the latest service pack of Windows??)

Old 19-11-2006, 06:30 PM   #40
Guest_leprechaun_*

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nikson @ Nov 7 2005, 08:40 PM) [snapback]177587[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Bleh... the only PC chess software worth having is Chessmaster. Preferrably 8000 or above.
[/b]
[font=Times New Roman][size=2]
Chessmaster is a very excellant chess game that I've yet to beat.