Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-09-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
HappyGamer
Abandonia nerd

I have the cd-rom version of this game in my collection and was wondering if there is anyway to get this game to run under xp. I tried some of the basic stuff such as going under properties and running it as though it was in win98 and nothing. Also when I run under dosbox seems to be really choppy and pretty much unplayable. I would love a chance to finally beat this game. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to here them. Thank you in advance.
HappyGamer is offline                         Send a private message to HappyGamer
Old 27-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Try using VDMSound to run it.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-09-2006, 10:30 AM   #3
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Hmm, you should go on trying with DosBox and tweak around with the cyclkes the CPU-setting and stuff.

You'll GET it running if you use DosBox properly.

Note: The "get-it-running-under-xp"-demands are not too great. And for sure some people are less patient than me and they will go

It's old games, so you can't use a new os to run them.
Old 27-09-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
HappyGamer
Abandonia nerd

Have no idea how to change anything in dos box. Never tried but herd you could. BTW, you guys rock I just posted this like half hour ago. What great response time. Thank you.
HappyGamer is offline                         Send a private message to HappyGamer
Old 27-09-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

DosBox Wiki is a good place to start.
The config file explanation presented there is pretty extensive.

If a game works choppy under DosBox, use CTRL+F12 to increase the cyclecount it is running at until you reach a playable value. If your machine cannot handle that high cycles, go to DosBox.conf and change "core=normal" to "core=dynamic".
This will allow for approximately double the usual cycle count, but may cause occasional crashes.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-09-2006, 11:46 AM   #6
HappyGamer
Abandonia nerd

OMG! I just spent the better part of hour going threw cd cases and cd-rom folders that I have and seem to have missed place my disk one of the beast within. So I thank you all for your help and I am sure it is around here and will turn up when I move. I just wanted to thank you for your help and apologize for I feel that I just have ask a useless question. I do apologize next time I will make sure I have the disks before asking a question like this again.
Old 27-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Don't worry, there is a plentitude of other games you can play on DosBox, and a fair number of them you can download from Abandonia.

So, no worries and have fun! k:

-- Reed Richards
Old 27-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #8
catchaserguns
Games Master

Go to the Dosbox site and get D-Fend frontend. It makes Dosbox very simple. I don't know a thing to run dos but this helped me a lot.
catchaserguns is offline                         Send a private message to catchaserguns
Old 28-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #9
HappyGamer
Abandonia nerd

I tried it but a little confused how to set it up so that it sees all my dos games. Thank you it looks great.