Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-07-2006, 10:02 PM   #31
Fantasy Freak

Some games make me feel dizzy/queasy, when I play I play for quite a while 3-4 hours before I normally stop out of choice. However, some games I have to stop in less than an hour normally if the camera is all over the place. Gun Valkyrie on X-box is awful, although the games not great either!!!
Fantasy Freak is offline                         Send a private message to Fantasy Freak
Old 24-07-2006, 12:12 AM   #32
chainsoar
Master Debater

I've never experienced this with any game, on PC, SNES, Xbox, Playstation, Mega Drive, Dreamcast or N64. OK, I may have been showing off about my console gaming history by listing all of those, but that's beside the point. I've played all sorts of games in my many years of gaming and I've never experienced any side effects. In fact, I'd never even considered that gaming could make you ill. Strange indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
You click on 'Download this game'.
chainsoar is offline                         Send a private message to chainsoar
Old 24-07-2006, 01:01 AM   #33
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

I just remember another FPS that made me dizzy. It was the "Aliens vs Predaror 2" (http://www.mobygames.com/game/aliens-versus-predator-2). The longest time I played that one was 2 hours. I usually quited after only 30 minutes or so. Didn't bother to finish it either, too much dizziness for me.
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 24-07-2006, 01:50 AM   #34
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Haha, you were playing with the Alien weren't you? Never made me dizzy, it was just disorienting walking on walls and leaping around everywhere.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 24-07-2006, 04:03 AM   #35
rabadi

Yep, I was mostly playing as Alien, although I do remember playing as Predator also gave me headache, if only just slightly more bearable.
Old 24-07-2006, 01:43 PM   #36
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

That was probably because of the different vision modes, high jumping and lock on plasma-caster cursors right?

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 24-07-2006, 02:37 PM   #37
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

Oh yeah, I remmember AVP2, the Alien was just exploding by brain while climbing and pouncing. Ohhh :wallbash: ... That's because of the graphics and the lightning... grrr...
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 24-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #38
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

A few words of advice: Light settings in the room where you have your computer matters. Low lighting and a bright screen are not good, not one bit, for your eyes or your 'epilepsy warning level'. In every (?) gaming manual it says about having breaks as well as good lighting. Also, when a game 'consumes' you, you tend to stare harder on your monitor. A break could mean having your eyes wandering off the monitor for a few minutes every now and then. Try to focus on various objects at different distances around in the room. But don't forget to have proper breaks as well. Hard, I know but well worth it, health wise.
Old 24-07-2006, 08:31 PM   #39
Japo
Autonomous human

Yes many people like to turn the lights off when they're watching TV or using the computer, and it's really bad, including sight loss.
Old 25-07-2006, 01:21 AM   #40
rabadi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Jul 24 2006, 01:43 PM) [snapback]244755[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
That was probably because of the different vision modes, high jumping and lock on plasma-caster cursors right?
[/b]
I don't quite remember, it was some time ago, but yes I think Predator had to make jumps. Some of them are from a tree to another tree IIRC.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(troop18546 @ Jul 24 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]244771[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Oh yeah, I remmember AVP2, the Alien was just exploding by brain while climbing and pouncing. Ohhh :wallbash: ... That's because of the graphics and the lightning... grrr...
[/b]
There was one scene when my Alien was climbing up and suddenly *splash*, it dropped dead. It turned out it was snipped by a Predator. The fall was too fast.

Yes, I read somewhere (not sure whether it is in the linked article on the original post or on another forum) that bright lighting room helps reducing the dizziness. But I guess in the case of AVP2 it didn't help. I played it in a bright lighting room and still got dizzy. As for taking a break every certain time, now that will certainly help, but a bit hard for a game addict. Luckily I am just a regular gamer