Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Default Firefox suddenly becoming idiotic?

Today I got plagued with a new problem with Firefox: the "Please update your plugins" page which open every single time you open your firefox.

Thing is: my auto update is turned off ever since I got this version of Firefox running and I'm actually running 3.6! This mean that somehow someone at Firefox have the power to be able to make my life miserable simply by turning some idiotic option I don't have on.

I tried to turn it off in about:config but it automatically turn back on every time I open Firefox again. The only workaround I've found was to change the auto update link to about:blank... And even then two tabs open every single time I open Firefox.

If Firefox is getting at this level of retardness then I take it that it is time considering switching to a new browser which actually work the way I want it to... Any suggestions?

IE and Chrome are already out of the question.
Old 20-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

You could try Opera, but I've heard the latest version isn't what it used to be.

So try an older version instead.
Old 21-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

I use Firefox v22 and I haven't experienced any browser-related problems yet. I used to use Opera but it's a bit slower. My computer also has Chrome which my parents prefer. Not even my parents use Internet Explorer.

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 22-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Today I got plagued with a new problem with Firefox: the "Please update your plugins" page which open every single time you open your firefox.

Thing is: my auto update is turned off ever since I got this version of Firefox running and I'm actually running 3.6! This mean that somehow someone at Firefox have the power to be able to make my life miserable simply by turning some idiotic option I don't have on.

I tried to turn it off in about:config but it automatically turn back on every time I open Firefox again. The only workaround I've found was to change the auto update link to about:blank... And even then two tabs open every single time I open Firefox.
It might just mean that you need to update a JAVA Platform (or Deployment Toolkit if you're using that) plugin which earlier versions of Firefox were using for actually having Java support, and without which most sites probably simply don't work. It's not required anymore in current versions and not used. Maybe some other also, which is responsible for a working website loading.
As far as I know Firefox itself has little to do with it beside the update notice. The browser itself is updated through Help - About Firefox menu topic.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 28-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post

If Firefox is getting at this level of retardness then I take it that it is time considering switching to a new browser which actually work the way I want it to... Any suggestions?

IE and Chrome are already out of the question.

Dear Eagle of Fire,
I do not understand why Chrome is out of the question.

Many years i use Firefox and Chrome. No any complains.
Yes, i stopped IE years ago.
Old 28-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

This computer is about 13 years old now. Sure, I could download Firefox 22... But it would certainly be as slow as hell.

Quote:
It might just mean that you need to update a JAVA Platform (or Deployment Toolkit if you're using that) plugin
I have this version of Firefox for years... Why the really sudden change?

Also, why can't I change the settings in the about:config? It simply doesn't add up.

Edit: Also, absolutely 0 sites stopped working since then and 0 sites simply stopped working at all. That's certainly not an excuse nor a reason to even consider.
Old 29-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #7
MyVitalRemains
Abandonia nerd

Try using Luakit or Midori.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
Racer63

A bit late for suggestions, but try SRWire Iron. With a lean Chrome engine.
Racer63 is offline                         Send a private message to Racer63
Old 13-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Oddbrother
Forum hobbit

Maxthon is a good up-and-comer.
Oddbrother is offline                         Send a private message to Oddbrother