Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #11
Kearnsy
Games Master

Yeah I agree with Iron_Scarecrow. It would be easier to do + give more info on the game than is presently being provided.
A lot of sites that allow anyone to vote on games have the same problem. So I think its not just the rating system.
Kearnsy is offline                         Send a private message to Kearnsy
Old 27-07-2005, 07:42 PM   #12
moogle
Abandonia Homie

3 is average, a lot of people probabally don't even play the game, so they deem it average.

And can we say, not $@# but the othre word for it, not donkey?
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 28-07-2005, 07:13 PM   #13
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I think there's nothing wrong with the system.

Most games aren't that special, so there are people that like the game or the genre and they give it marks 4 & 5 and there are people that dislike the genre/game and give it marks 1 & 2.
3 is right in the middle and that means that the games that got 3 don't really stand out that much. Those games obvioulsy didn't leave such an impact on the general public. On the other hand games with either 2 or 4 stand out, because they made a really bad/good impresion on people.

It's almost imposible for a game to have a rating of 1 or 5 anyway. If a game recives one vote for 5 point it would take seven votes of 1 to get the average down to 1 (and the other way around). For every 3 a game recives it would need two 5s to get the average back to 5 (but after a few 3s the number of 5s needed would increase). So generally a game has no alternative but to end up with a 3 (unless it's really that much better or worse from the average).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 28-07-2005, 07:23 PM   #14
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with the rating system, but it's nearly impossible to tell what a game is like by looking at the public rating: just to give you a random example, Stickybear Town Builder and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade have the same public rating.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 28-07-2005, 07:47 PM   #15
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

now that's funny!!!!
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 28-07-2005, 07:53 PM   #16
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Jul 28 2005, 08:23 PM
just to give you a random example, Stickybear Town Builder and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade have the same public rating.
I know what you mean. Those darn grown up games where they shoot with machineguns and stuff shouldn't have such high ratings as the cute little games like Stickybear Town. Now that's a game where you can really enjoy and learn fun stuff like orientation :angel:
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 28-07-2005, 08:13 PM   #17
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 02-08-2005, 06:02 AM   #18
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

Looking as Gamespot's community; they don't seem to have the same problem? I think it's because every viewer is allowed to vote more than once, giving each a possibility to cheat. I say we swipe the user votes and give each member ONE vote...
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 08-08-2005, 10:09 AM   #19
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Great, I see you've changed it to display the first decimal. Now who'd have thought Albion was the most popular game according to the public rating? Stickybear and Indiana Jones do seem to be pretty close, though: 3.3 and 3.4 respectively.LOL