Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-05-2005, 07:22 AM   #1
Wildcatsa

Good day all
This should make you all laugh. I hav inherited an ancient 486 and need to know if the games on here will run on win 3.1 or dos on this pc. Can you help??
Wildcatsa is offline                         Send a private message to Wildcatsa
Old 08-05-2005, 08:20 AM   #2
dr_st
Abandonia nerd

Most of them will.

Your smiley is waaay out of place.
dr_st is offline                         Send a private message to dr_st
Old 08-05-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

Good to see that you too have found the one and only way to play dos games.
Why don't you give us the specs of your pc and we can tell you what'll run on it.
I just bought a Targa Pentium s 75 Mhz Desktop PC, and everything works fine. If you have a 486 with 50 Mhz, Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 should run on it. You can find them on the last page of the RPG section. Have Fun! k:
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 08-05-2005, 04:00 PM   #4
Wildcatsa

You Guys ROCK!!!!!!!
I have already dl'd a coupla oldies but goodies to test. Have also given your site name to an i-net cafe and he is dl'ing already too.
I just hope my win 3.1 can unzip the files. I will be spreading the word about your site. And I have a BIG mouth too.
THe smiley btw was hoping against hope
:w00t:
Wildcatsa is offline                         Send a private message to Wildcatsa
Old 08-05-2005, 04:00 PM   #5
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildcatsa@May 8 2005, 08:22 AM
Good day all
This should make you all laugh. I hav inherited an ancient 486 and need to know if the games on here will run on win 3.1 or dos on this pc. Can you help??
Not at all, in fact it makes me happy to see people willing to pay money in order to play games the proper way!

Almost all the games we have on site run in DOS.The rest will surely run in Windows 3.1

[EDIT] If you seek guidance regarding the usage of DOS, contact me.I'm no expert but i have seen my share of problems k:
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 09-05-2005, 07:26 AM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I'd personally advise to dump Win3.x in favor of Windows 95 (version a is good enough) with WinRar and Total Commander onboard. I had this combination myself once and it works on pretty much every archive here.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 09-05-2005, 03:00 PM   #7
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

That is a good combination Horseman. I had that on my second ever PC. Anyway, Wildcatsa, if you don't want any windows, there also is pkunzip and RAR32 for Dos. I don't exactly remember where i downloaded that stuff, but i was thinking about posting some links in another topic, probably vintage computing. Have fun with your games, and please keep spreading the word! when i found this site, i told three friends, and they are now about to make pure DOS systems in order to play all the games.
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 09-05-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I would agree that if possible (depends on memory and CPU power) win95 would be best solution on that PC.

I just installed Win98 on P166 with 32MB of memory and PCI Ati Rage Pro 8MB video card. It works really nice.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 10-05-2005, 05:34 PM   #9
Wildcatsa

I need to get my hands on an unzipping prog. I have a colleague who is digging through some old disks to see if he has one. I also spoke to a blokenext door to me that builds PC's. He has had a look at mine and says it is too weak to run win95. too bad too. I will let ya all know if and when I get the games runnin' I can't wait. :w00t:
Old 11-05-2005, 03:00 AM   #10
Ioncannon
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via MSN to Ioncannon

get winzip 16 bit edition. Fits on a single floppy... google it for a link. Also winrar 16 bit edition at rarsoft.com
Ioncannon is offline                         Send a private message to Ioncannon