Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #41
go vista
Default window vista .. can not get it to work

can you help me get Ancient Art of War working on vista ...
ericyunis hotmail com

Old 23-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #42
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go vista View Post
can you help me get Ancient Art of War working on vista ...
Sure: dosbox.
Read the tutorials.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 07-06-2010, 06:33 AM   #43
not going to register
Talking laptops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest_Someone View Post
I have a little question.......... How to move a unit?! i click "move" but nothing happens
lol me too, I found when using a laptop I had num lock on and the m key is also zero turn off num lock problem solved.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #44
Dewfire
Forum hobbit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dewfire

If I remember right, when you click move, you then move the new Icon/Cursor and it is creating the path. ie Were you move the icon, is where the unit will walk. Once you have finished drawing it's path, you hit enter or something.
Dewfire is offline                         Send a private message to Dewfire
Old 09-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #45
muppet122

Thumbs down Not for me

To old for me. I can't play this
Missed the boat.
Not advised.
muppet122 is offline                         Send a private message to muppet122
Old 18-06-2010, 06:09 AM   #46
Henry_BR
Wink Campaigns

Hi I've played AAW for years a long time ago.
I've found and downloaded it in recent years.

I've created new campaigns. If you wanna play it, contact me, and I'll send you a ZIP file. And of course, I expect from you fresh new campaigns!

If you need to play it just by clicking an Icon, let me know and I'll send you a ZIP with the game, including a conf file and the shortcut. But you have to do 2 steps: Instal DOSbox and learn how to change the cycles in DOSbox (ctrl-f11 to slow down and ctrl-f12 to speed up). The game will be sent in 500 cycles. Detail: I'm not a programmer, just read the DOSbox manual and figured out the rest.

e-mail : [BEEEP]@gmail.com

; ]

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 18-06-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Old 14-10-2010, 11:21 PM   #47
Suizul

Just for those who are interested in this game. There is a new campaign uploaded called Tiberia for the Advanced Art of War player.
Good luck.
Suizul is offline                         Send a private message to Suizul
Old 25-05-2021, 10:38 PM   #48
AndrewJFisher
Forum hobbit

I just played the first two campaigns and was surprised that I was able to win both. When I played this as a kid it took ages to find a way to win some of the campaigns, but then I had to learn how to utilize the controls. I wouldn't say I used that much strategy this time, didn't change the formations much, but I did oversee most of the encounters/battles and did really well at most of them. Actually in "The Race for the Flags", right away I noticed that though the enemy is ahead of you, those on the left hand path are in poor health i.e. slower and weaker, so it seems obvious now to send your squads up that road, easily catching up the enemy and likely beating them. The default rule is that the forest is sparse so keep going straight up, through the forest, over the bridge, round the mountains etc. reaching the fort/flags first.

I noticed the manual rates the difficulty of each campaign, they generally get harder as you go down the list. It suddenly got a lot harder when I got down to The Rivalry, I failed it about six times before realizing that Caesar just sends all his men to your fort and doesn't bother leaving anyone at his own fort to "spawn" new soldiers, so there's no reason to leave your base with its fort and village. You'll have the advantage when the enemy squads arrive at your fort. I go with the default rules and general and the game's statement that Caesar's weakness is that he doesn't always protect his conquests proved true here. The campaigns did in fact get harder from there, I failed many times at Tale of Three Islands, Wu vs. Chu and War in the Mountains before winning each by forcing a surrender. But surprisingly I beat the final campaign Islands of Doom on the first try! I suppose if not for all the practice I got from failing the previous three, I'd have failed Islands of Doom a few times too, but I found that it was generally easier to capture the enemies' forts and actually many of the flags are not inside the forts so easier to capture. In the end I captured the last flag by storming the west-most enemy fort with four squads, sending the last one in to get the flag while the enemy squads were stuck in encounters.

Last edited by AndrewJFisher; 12-06-2021 at 12:48 PM.
AndrewJFisher is offline                         Send a private message to AndrewJFisher