Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-03-2006, 06:30 PM   #21
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

What about one sticky with direct PM links to people who speak languages? Something like:

Quote:
NOT ENGLISH?

IF you don't speak english please contact:

Eagle of Fire - for French

Sebatianos - for Slovenian

And so on...

Oh and BTW I think it's not very smart to post in English - that non-english speakers should post in English. If someone who doesn't speak English shows up, they sure as hell aren't going to try and read all the rules in a language they don't understand, just to lear they have to use the same language they don't understand to ask for help (and get a reply which they still won't understand). Can you understand what I mean?
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 16-03-2006, 07:51 PM   #22
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Regarding the quotes, they get broken after a certain post length or possibly a certain number of tags, not sure - it happens in the grammar section a lot. Regarding the issue, I'm not sure. I think we should probably make some effort to at least direct people to post in English in as many languages as possible, whether somewhere on the translated pages or in a sticky - this is a very international forum and it seems a shame to have the forum entirely in English when we could at least explain to people why we ask people to stick to English.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 16-03-2006, 08:14 PM   #23
Master MC
Hero Gamer

What is the policy on speaking two languages, like what happened here:
Quote:
Hoe oud? Speelde je het op school? Vertel me meer, ik luister gaarne.

How old? Did you play the game at school? Please, tell me more, I would be delighted to hear more.
Master MC is offline                         Send a private message to Master MC
Old 16-03-2006, 08:34 PM   #24
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well, it's not that people here hate non-english languages, but every post you don't understand, you simply don't know if it belongs here. Now if a thread is bilingual it's tolerated - I mean, you do know what they are saying.

BTW - I remember when the Polish translation thread started out, I was the one who kept telling them, they should be speaking in English not Polish (even though I strongly support native languages - at least in certain places/situations on the forum).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 16-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #25
Master MC
Hero Gamer

The beginning of the Dutch translation topic was bilingual as well, and some were harping on speaking English. Then a mod came and he explained that different rules count in the translation forum.
But, are we not getting off-topic here?
Master MC is offline                         Send a private message to Master MC
Old 17-03-2006, 12:57 AM   #26
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

Look; EoF are just doing like the rest of the mod/admin crew; Enforcing the rules we agreed on a long time ago.
Personaly, i've NEVER recived a single PM complaining over EoF as a Moderator, and up to now, i've not had any reason for thinking anything else then he's been doing a good job.

On the issue of an international section; Who would moderate it? That is THE largest issue.

Regarding the QUOTE-function; I THINK it has been dissable for this section.
Old 17-03-2006, 04:07 AM   #27
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Titan@Mar 17 2006, 03:57 AM
On the issue of an international section; Who would moderate it? That is THE largest issue.
Well, it would be only logical that the trustworthy members who are native speakers of the language do.

Seeing how the translators are generally showing enough responsibility I think at least one of each team should get the job.

Eagle already said he'd do the French forum, I would do Slovenian, you yourself would probably have to do the Swedish forum once the Swedish flag shows on the front site (I've seen the translations and it was coming along nicely, but I think you came to a hold at the moment), and so on!

The way I see this forum it would be like that:
INTERNATIONAL FORUM
-language subforums (for each language one); every subforum moderated by a native speaker of the language.

If that wouldn't work (if a sub-forum to a single part of the forum can't be made) then at least:
INTERNATIONAL FORUM (with many moderators)
- a thread for every language. The moderator who speaks that language would have to look after one thread only (or more then one if s/he speaks more then one language).

It's possible and I think it would really be a great addition to the site k:
Old 17-03-2006, 05:10 AM   #28
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

I don't think the first idea would be a good one..
Neither the second...

If we have an international section, it should be for everyone, else we'll just have this debate again; My lang. iznt on da sajt! HELP!!!!!11111 Were2poste???????????

We'll have to talk it over seriously with Kosta if this is something you REALY want and feel the site NEEDS..
Up to now, 2-3 none-english posts / month doesn't realy show a need for it.
Old 17-03-2006, 08:01 AM   #29
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

This is all very simple.

This is an English only forum EXCEPT in those agreed upon parts of the forum regular users cannot see anyway.

This is to ensure we have enough control over what happens on this forum that we can hold ourselves accountable.

The internet is huge. If someone cannot ask for help in english he or she has plenty of other places to go to besides us.

Eagle of Fire is entirely correct in the way he has handled these situations.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 17-03-2006, 08:42 AM   #30
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

why is the invitation that invites people to talk about the game in other language(s) then?
Quote:

Diskutiere das Spiel! (5 Beiträge)

One might think he could expect a friendly welcome in his own languge on the forum where he could "diskutieren". because that's what the invitation says.

Not everyone that playes games knows english. ever played that free RTCW version and people only knew french and all conversation was in french... it drives me crazy, cause i only understand like 20% of what they are saing or what they need.

according to wiki: "English is now the fourth, third (or possibly even second, depending on the source) most widely spoken native language worldwide (after Chinese, Hindi and possibly Spanish), with some 380 million speakers."

however even if people speak englsih not everyone speaks british english or even writes descent english... so maybe they feel more secure if they type in their own language.

Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor