Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old News
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Should guests be allowed to post on the forums?
Yes, in all public forums 5 12.50%
Yes, but only in Games Discussion and Troubleshooting (like before) 24 60.00%
Yes, not in all public forums but more than just GD and TS (please specify) 7 17.50%
No 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I agree with Dino about guests.

In regards to karma - I'm not a big fan of the karma system for forums, it fosters wankery and colours how some people post, for better and worse. I think people should make their own opinions about other users and not be influenced by an arbitrary number.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #12
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane View Post
I agree with Dino about guests.[...]
Dito Dino.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #13
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane View Post
I think people should make their own opinions about other users and not be influenced by an arbitrary number.
I agree it's pretty pointless, by the time someone cares about other members' characters, he already knows. These scoring systems are mostly for people who like to show their stripes. And we already have the POEs for real contributions.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #14
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Actually there are some references to a Karma system deep down in the options...

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #15
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I voted yes, all Games forum except Cellar. Also they could be allowed to read other forums but not to post.
I remember that I started posting as guest until I realized that I'm hooked up and that I should register. Really, why not allowing guests to discuss Games or Favourite Oldies and Newbies???
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 12-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #16
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

I think it would be good to let them in on Games Discussion and Troubleshooting, and also Site comments\Suggestions. Although if you had allowed guest posting on Site comments\suggestions way back when I joined, I may not have joined...

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 12-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #17
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

No.

I do think they should be allowed to view all part of the board like a regular user (regular users don't see the cellar), and that they should be allowed to post as guest in the troubleshooting forum in case they can't manage to run an old game.

And it would be pointless to do this if you can't edit the error message when it happen. All you'll get if you restrict the posting options of guests is angry guests who still think they can't post anywhere.

There is no voting option which describe what I just say, so I didn't vote.
Old 13-12-2008, 04:46 AM   #18
Incappucciato d'Ombra
A Shadow in the shadows

Yes.

But only in Game Discussion (someone can always have a quick hint or info that can be interesting for the community) and Troubleshooting for quick and "una-tantum" requests of help.
Incappucciato d'Ombra is offline                         Send a private message to Incappucciato d'Ombra
Old 13-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #19
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
And it would be pointless to do this if you can't edit the error message when it happen.
I understand what you mean, but I still think that it is better to allow guest to post, at least in Games discussion... I recall many guests just saying "this is great game, thank you" and similar. I somehow think that this is more useful to abandonia, because guests are mostly here for games, not to read important announcements.
Also, for example, I remember when I uploaded game called Vlak, many czech guests just wrote that they are surprised to see "local legend" on abandonia. So, i think that giving unregistered people possibility to express their positive emotions about games, at least in Games discussion forum, is good for abandonia, since those guest will get to like abandonia even more, and probably will keep coming back...
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 15-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #20
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I think it'd do AB good if we allowed guests back on certain forums, not only GD and TS, but also Tech and Compatibility.

The way I see it, if more people realize they can get useful and friendly help here, this will bring them back and (hopefully) in a mood for signing up and becoming useful members themselves. Wouldn't hurt...